What songs will NEVER be played again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I offer you this as an alternative to the horrid "new album" threads. The opposite of the "Which songs will be played next tour" threads. Which songs will never be played again?

For example, I just watched Live from Chicago, and can say with confidence we won't be hearing Miracle Drug, Original of the species, Love and Peace or else or Yahweh again.

Oh, purpleoscar got the easy ones!

I'd be sad if they didn't play OOTS again. I really like it, especially the arrangement with the piano. For songs we'll never see again, we might be able to bet on some from October, like maybe I Threw a Brick Through a Window. Also maybe If God Will Send His Angels and Fast Cars.

Generally if a song perished early on its debut tour, it's unlikely to come back. This isn't always true - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is a prominent example. However, I very much doubt the band will ever return to Shadows and Tall Trees, Like a Song, Indian Summer Sky, So Cruel, Do You Feel Loved, Miami, or Miracle Drug (which I think is a great shame in the case of Like a Song, Indian Summer Sky, and Do You Feel Loved). Likewise, even though they made it through the October Tour, I don't expect the likes of With a Shout or Fire to ever make a comeback.

That's kicking easy goals. Maybe I'll make some more bold predictions later. I expect somebody to come along and say Exit, since there was that murder case where it came up. That naturally affected the band's impression of the song, but it's a long time ago now and the band's own comments indicate that they have moved on and don't hold themselves or the song guilty. So while it's probably the reason why Exit only appeared once on Lovetown and didn't show up on ZooTV even though it may've fit with songs like The Fly and Love Is Blindness, I don't know if it would be a total impediment to the song's return nowadays. It's an explosive live track, it's not obscure (it's from their best selling album, come on), and depending upon what commentary they may want to make or themes they wish to develop on tour, it could fit.

With the surprises we got on the last tour I wouldn't name any song because ( I HOPE) everything seems possible, even if they just pull those songs out for very shake versions that are played twice and then dropped.

With the surprises we got on the last tour I wouldn't name any song because ( I HOPE) everything seems possible, even if they just pull those songs out for very shake versions that are played twice and then dropped.

Yeah, the last three tours have shown that you can't rule out songs just because they haven't been played for a while. During Elevation it surprised me they brought back 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and Out Of Control, to name two examples. The Vertigo Tour saw the return of An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Gloria, "40" (though that one had been snippeted during previous tours), etc. Plus they started playing The First Time. And for the 360 Tour they surprised us with Ultra Violet, The Unforgettable Fire (anyone remember the disbelief when the first rehearsal report came out and those two songs were mentioned plus Drowning Man? :) ), Zooropa, Scarlet, etc.

So yeah, I think everything seems possible.

I expect somebody to come along and say Exit, since there was that murder case where it came up. That naturally affected the band's impression of the song, but it's a long time ago now and the band's own comments indicate that they have moved on and don't hold themselves or the song guilty. So while it's probably the reason why Exit only appeared once on Lovetown and didn't show up on ZooTV even though it may've fit with songs like The Fly and Love Is Blindness, I don't know if it would be a total impediment to the song's return nowadays. It's an explosive live track, it's not obscure (it's from their best selling album, come on), and depending upon what commentary they may want to make or themes they wish to develop on tour, it could fit.

Probably THE U2 song I'd want to hear in person.

I think this is imossible to predict. Sure, there are lots of songs that only have a tiny chance of ever bing played live (again) but I think many people would be mentioning Zooropa and Scarlet before 360.

BOY:
Another Time, Another Place
Shadows and Tall Trees
I think everything else on this album has a chance, if they ever get in a nostalgic mood

OCTOBER:
I fall down
Rejoice
Fire
With a Shout
Stranger in a strange land
Is that all
- I think we can all agree it's very likely Gloria and October will be played again at some point. Wishful thinking, but I'd love for them to bust out I Threw a Brick! Tomorrow might be snippeted in a Bono/Edge type fashion someday.

WAR:
Seconds
Like a song
Refugee
Red Light

UF:
Promenade
4th of July
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis Presley and America

JT:
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip through your wires

RH:
Heartland
Hawkmoon 269

AB:
So Cruel
TTTYAATW
Acrobat

Zooropa:
Babyface
Numb
Lemon
Daddy's gonna pay...
Some days
Dirty Day

POP:
DYFL
LNOE
Miami (Look for snippets when U2 play Miami)
Playboy Mansion
Velvet Dress

ATYCLB:
Wild Honey
Peace on Earth
WILATW
New York (possible snippets in NYC)
Grace

HTDAAB:
Miracle Drug
L&POE
Crumbs
One Step
OOTS
Yahweh

NLOTH:
NLOTH
Unknown caller
SUC
Fez-BB
White as snow
Breathe
Cedars

BOY:
Shadows and Tall Trees
I think everything else on this album has a chance, if they ever get in a nostalgic mood

OCTOBER:
I fall down
Rejoice
Fire
With a Shout
Is that all
- I think we can all agree it's very likely Gloria and October will be played again at some point. Wishful thinking, but I'd love for them to bust out I Threw a Brick! Tomorrow might be snippeted in a Bono/Edge type fashion someday.

WAR:
Seconds
Like a song
Refugee
Red Light

UF:
Promenade
4th of July
Indian Summer Sky

JT:
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip through your wires

RH:
Heartland
Hawkmoon 269

AB:
So Cruel
TTTYAATW
Acrobat

Zooropa:
Babyface
Numb
Lemon
Daddy's gonna pay...
Some days
Dirty Day

POP:
DYFL
LNOE
Playboy Mansion
Velvet Dress

ATYCLB:
Wild Honey
Peace on Earth
WILATW
Grace

HTDAAB:
Miracle Drug
L&POE
Crumbs
One Step
OOTS
Yahweh

NLOTH:
NLOTH
Unknown caller
SUC
Fez-BB
White as snow
Breathe
Cedars
It would be a shame if they never played Dirty Day again.
To me, it is one of U2's finest songs that never seems to get any love.
Almost forgotten it seems.

Interesting- I thought I had read that Bono couldn't bring himself to sing it after 9/11, the lyrics hit too close. THAT LIAR! :wink:

He had mentioned in an interview that Ali had brought up the similarities between some of the song's lyrics and the events at the time (September, streets capsizing... shards of glass, splinters like rain.... October, talk getting nowhere, etc.). So that was part of the reason it was starting to get played again around that time.

BOY:
Shadows and Tall Trees

OCTOBER:
I fall down
Rejoice
Fire
With a Shout
Is that all

WAR:
Seconds
Like a song
Refugee
Red Light

UF:
Promenade
4th of July
Indian Summer Sky

JT:
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip through your wires

RH:
Heartland
Hawkmoon 269

AB:
So Cruel
TTTYAATW
Acrobat

Zooropa:
Babyface
Numb
Lemon
Daddy's gonna pay...
Some days
Dirty Day

POP:
DYFL
LNOE
Playboy Mansion
Velvet Dress

ATYCLB:
Wild Honey
Peace on Earth
WILATW
Grace

HTDAAB:
Miracle Drug
L&POE
Crumbs
One Step
OOTS
Yahweh

NLOTH:
NLOTH
Unknown caller
SUC
Fez-BB
White as snow
Breathe
Cedars

Well Acrobat, you have pretty much summed it up adequately. I like the fact you broke the songs down in album order too.

Going forward, some of these tracks are really quality but I feel Bono can't hit the notes anymore or no interest from the band.

I think with all the auto-tune quasi disco-techno crap all over Top 40. This would be a "perfect " time to resurrect " Discotheque" including all it's BOOM-CHA glory!!!

Agreed?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom