what does this mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flowerchildH

The Fly
U2's quay landmark goes

The Sun, September 06, 2007

Victoria Newton

GUITAR legend THE EDGE told me how sad he was that the band’s productive studio in Dublin is about to be bulldozed.

The U2 star said Hanover Quay, where they recorded the album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, had a special place in their hearts.

He said: “It’s getting demolished as part of a redevelopment of the docklands. It is going to be turned into a tower block and we will make the penthouse into a studio.

It’s very sad, that place felt like home. I don’t know what it will be like recording in the new studio, we are so used to the other place.”

He also revealed U2 have been in Morocco and wrote some songs there. But he added: “We don’t have anything scheduled for a new album. It’s nice not to have that pressure.”

(c) The Sun, 2007

--------------------------------------

so that pretty much tells us that they won't be recording in HQ in november, but what about the 'no album anytime soon' part that we hear from edge? just wondering what you all thought. thanks.

it is entirely possible that they can record in a different studio after HQ gets demolished.

What worries me is that they are going to fart around too long and too much without any "pressure" and end up with a passion-less piece of shit for an album.

Maybe they should find something like Dogtown again.. or the Factory.. or even Windmill Lane... they have been the homes of some great works.

I'm not too concerned with the "passion". Although Bomb probably lacked the most passion of any U2 album, it didn't quite seem like they were bored. I think they were more interested in great songs or song structures.

I think going forward U2 will never again give any hint of when a album is due. Pop hurt them pretty bad, and they'd hate to get expectations up and then fall flat because the songs aren't done yet.

Even when we know they're recording for a new album, Edge/Bono will still say, "We don't know what it's going to be yet".

U2 will be recording in November, just not in THAT studio

Well, there's a convenient excuse to push the album back to 2009.

Speaking of studios, why aren't they making their albums in Windmill Lane studios anymore ?

BEAL said:
I'm not too concerned with the "passion". Although Bomb probably lacked the most passion of any U2 album, it didn't quite seem like they were bored. I think they were more interested in great songs or song structures.

I think going forward U2 will never again give any hint of when a album is due. Pop hurt them pretty bad, and they'd hate to get expectations up and then fall flat because the songs aren't done yet.

Even when we know they're recording for a new album, Edge/Bono will still say, "We don't know what it's going to be yet".

U2 will be recording in November, just not in THAT studio

I hate to seem like I'm following you BEAL, but your comments caught me by surprise.

I felt HTDAAB was far more passionate than ATYCLB and "Pop", even "Zooropa". It seemed Bono was finally singing from his heart again. Yes, there were some pop songs, but is "Vertigo" and "All Because of You" really that different from "Even Better Than..." and "Mysterious Ways"? All are pop songs, and all deal with love or God. But I heard far more passion on HTDAAB in terms of vocals, lyrics and even playing. To me, ATYCLB was the most orchestrated and planned U2 album of their career. As "Pop" didn't overwhelm the world, U2 really wanted an album that did. Since ATYCLB did return U2 to their "glory", they came across far more relaxed on HTDAAB and I think that shows in the more passionate songs (such as "Sometimes", "Love & Peace", "City of Blinding Lights" and even "Fast Cars").

I do agree with the rest of your post though. It seems that while U2 have released plenty of material between their full studio albums, since "Unforgettable Fire", U2 typically takes 3-4 years between albums. UF to JT was 3 years, JT to AB was 4.5 years, AB to "Zooropa" was the one exception with just 2 years, but "Zooropa" to "Pop" was almost 4 years. "Pop" to ATYCLB was 3.5 years and ATYCLB to HTDAAB was 4 years. As such, I expect another U2 album next year. If U2 were really gearing up for a release this year, it would be occurring already and clearly it's not.

But again, given how much U2 tour and how much material (greatests hits with new songs, DVD's, books, half-live/half-studio releases, live releases, appearances with other artists, single releases, etc.), we really are never lacking for new U2 during this "down time". In other words, U2 never really take a full out break. It's just that they do a LOT with the material they do release.

LEAVE ME ALONE YOU FREAK!!!!!

I do think there was passion in the music, but most of it was from Bono. Part of my problem with the Bomb record was that the rest of the band, while sharp, didn't quite produce anything emotional.

There are moments here and there, but it's so crisp, and so clean that it actually feels like there's something missing. In saying this though, I do like the music.

Maybe part of it is U2 as musicians are growing, where before they would jam/jam/jam away to get a song. I'm not saying it comes easy now, but it has to be easier with their knowledge expanding.

I do think something is lost in the gained musical experience.

aw man that sucks i really wanted to visit that site
hopefully this doesnt push back the album..

:(

I wouldn't be too worried about this. Talk like that has been going on and coming from band members since the end of the tour. I understand that, as artists, they don't want to put pressure on themselves by saying every day: We are making a new album. Maybe they can just handle the whole issue easier when they just let their creative juices flow without giving it any particular direction. As long as the music keeps coming, I guess it's a good thing.

BEAL said:
LEAVE ME ALONE YOU FREAK!!!!!

I do think there was passion in the music, but most of it was from Bono. Part of my problem with the Bomb record was that the rest of the band, while sharp, didn't quite produce anything emotional.

There are moments here and there, but it's so crisp, and so clean that it actually feels like there's something missing. In saying this though, I do like the music.

Maybe part of it is U2 as musicians are growing, where before they would jam/jam/jam away to get a song. I'm not saying it comes easy now, but it has to be easier with their knowledge expanding.

I do think something is lost in the gained musical experience.

I'm a-following and you're a-liking it - admit it, you do like it. :sexywink:

While my views are different, I do understand how you feel that the passion from HTDAAB is mostly from Bono - he does give his best vocal performance in ages (since, dare I say, R&H?!).

U2 is also known for over-tweaking. I've felt this way from JT on. So there is some concern that with all this time, they will be too mellow or too tweaked or too into sounds of the era. However, even if they have some of these potential weaknesses, I've always been impressed enough with the rest of the album to like it, hence no worries on my part.

Besides, I'm "broke". I want more time to save up before another album, with multiple versions, and singles, with multiple versions, and a tour, with multiple legs, comes out. :D

The rock stars are suffering habitat destruction, so they will have to migrate to another studio until they can establish new territory.

Axver said:
Well, there's a convenient excuse to push the album back to 2009.

And then when it's finished in the summer of that year, one of their label's production plants will run into "severe delays" making the album come out right before Christmas. :|

BEAL said:
I'm not too concerned with the "passion".

I think going forward U2 will never again give any hint of when a album is due.

I don't think lack of passion will be an issue, and I also agree that there will be little or no hints - with the climate of the record industry and the state it's in, Universal will want to maximize their profits and not let anything leak out.
I doubt any lost cd's/lyrics will happen this time around..LOL
And I still think fall 2008 will happen.
But I'm open for anything earlier!! :wink:

Now what does THIS mean?
48 updates in the tour area? It hasn't been updated for ages right?!
Not this much at once anyway.

u2com-tourupdate.jpg

Odd..It doesn't say anything beneath "Upcoming gigs" either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom