What do you think BELIEVE means?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
tomorrow I have an asigment and I'm planning to use that word: BELIEVE...

But I'm afraid I may use it bad... what do YOU think this phrase means?

pepokiss said:
tomorrow I have an asigment and I'm planning to use that word: BELIEVE...

But I'm afraid I may use it bad... what do YOU think this phrase means?

Ahh, a language deconstructionalist in the making! I'm not sure...interesting how the 'lie' part is in the middle. It's something to ponder, like a 'what is truth?' thing. Maybe believing in anything is subjective, and that in itself can be declared a 'lie' by an opposing party.

Hmm...it would also make a damn good album cover :wink:...good luck:)

reminds me a lot of 1984 and all that Orwellian type stuff. like angelordevil said, that truth can really be subjective, that we can condition our minds to accept just about anything. did they ever use 2+2=5 as one of their little ZooTV flashing words? I have no idea, but I do think it's a reference to that general idea.

Don't believe what you hear, don't believe what you see ...

It doesn't mean anything, it just sounds like it does. That was the whole theme of Zoo TV: a bunch of cool-sounding, cool-looking non-sense, a lot like commercialiism and television.

typhoon said:
It doesn't mean anything, it just sounds like it does. That was the whole theme of Zoo TV: a bunch of cool-sounding, cool-looking non-sense, a lot like commercialiism and television.

I don't buy that at all. Some of the phrases may be meaningless and most of them having meaning imo.

I don't know but this is how I feel!
The whole Montage of flying words and scentences during the fly.. at least in the ZOO TV tour to me are nothing but a bunch of words to draw attention to themselves but somehow seem truthful and clever in the meantime, that goes for BELIEVE as well. They are also Parodies and truth's alot of the time as well...
I think the whole montage including BELIEVE is a representation of what the Media is like! In the end due to the medium and speed it's projected at, just like the news etc.. they become as contradictory as all those words and scentences because they do exactly what that whole montage does 1) only draws attention to itself and not necessarily the problem and 2) can't be established as truth without a good amount of faith therefore confuses the fuck out of you!
The actual BELIEVE part is probably the most importand(therfeore keyu tofiguring it out)and confusing part of this whole montage along with the WATCH MORE TV ending

Cheers

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
I think of it as a double edge sword really...both as an enticer (something that wants to entice people into it's web of lies and/or Satan) and as a pure enity (like Jesus or Bunnies).

i dont trust rabbits.

Axver said:
Don't believe what you hear, don't believe what you see ...

Exactly. And to throw some faith/religion into the mix: Question what it is that you believe in/what you're told to believe in, and instead have faith in the answers that you find yourself.

Princey said:

i dont trust rabbits.

But they're a pure entity like Jesus! :wink: hehe

By the way--

Pepokiss, great job on starting up an interesting thread! There haven't been many great ones in the last several days. Thanks!

ahhhh you know, I have pondered this ever since I saw ZOO TV.......somewhere in just about everything we believe or are taught to believe...exists a lie somewhere down the line...."sees the truth behind the lies" maybe easy to do... seeing the lie in what one believes...lotsa hard work!! and too much introspection...

Back
Top Bottom