we fucking hate one, and here's why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the song was never made into a single you would be freaking out in a thread saying "we f#@$*&g love one, and here's why." And how its sooooo wrong that it wasn't made into a single:huh:

DevilsShoes said:

It needs a fresh interpretation, something to breathe new life into it again and re-energise it, I think that's the only way to prevent the thing stagnating for both the band and the audience.

Like having an R&B singer sing the song:huh:

It's not a bad song. I think it's a good song. Not a great song, but a good one. I think to be a great song, a song has to have an epic part to it (like Until the End of the World or Please). One lacks that. I think its outro falls short (exception: Zoo TV and Popmart versions, where it does have a peak, in the outro verse). It has DEFINITELY gotten worse since Popmart. Elevation and Vertigo versions were boring.

1. Popmart
2. Zoo TV
3. Studio
4. Vertigo (sans the speech)
5. Elevation

This is one of the ugliest thread headlines I've seen in a long time. I hesistate to keep it going, but felt like I had something to add.

After a certain point, I just stopped "hearing" it when I heard it. It was like air. "Oh, yeah. One. Cool." But from time to time, in the right circumstances, there are those times when I really "hear" it again and realize that it really is a great song.

It really is going to last forever because it means quite a bit to a vast number of people. Hit singles come and go, and most of them become useful only for evoking a memory or perhaps inviting some comical cultural punchline. But the truly great ones endure without any nostalgia attached, and "One" is in that category. It connects to people on a deep level, and it remains there. That's beyond a hit single. That's when a song just about changes the world. Your grandkids will know that song. Chances are they won't know "Acrobat". (Unless they're really cool.)

BrownEyedBoy said:
I think a lot of people have confused the song with its performance. The song´s greatest form is its studio version.

:up:

KhanadaRhodes said:
i've hated the song ever since it came out. when i got my tape of achtung baby back in 91, i skipped past one unless i just got tired of doing the old fast forward routine.

We're still waiting the "here's why" ...

KhanadaRhodes said:
and the hour long speeches bono gives before the song definitely don't do anything for me.

:down: Out of topic ...

KhanadaRhodes said:
i've hated the song ever since it came out. when i got my tape of achtung baby back in 91, i skipped past one unless i just got tired of doing the old fast forward routine. it just doesn't do anything for me. and the hour long speeches bono gives before the song definitely don't do anything for me.

We accept that you hate "One". I'm not a fan of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" too (although I'm far from hating it). Now?...
I accept your reasons (when I say "you", i'm talking in the plural, ok?), although none of you has already given credible justification of why you don't like "One", basing your opinions in the exaustion is setlists, the One Campaign boring speech, etc... (and I understand this, I agree with this, although I think it's far from being enough to make this a bad song)

What I (we?) cannot accept is that you want to makes us believe that people in general finds "One" a bad, or even overrated song, when it's not. It's not the general opinion (whether by the general fan community, whether by the general public), when it's the exact opposite. Y'all know that the general public likes this song and that's very well rated and that'll be remembered as a classic and as a song with a universal (and multiple) message. Don't really know what's the deal of making us believe the opposite when we know it's not true.

You, as a moderator, shouldn't be applying to that.

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:
I think a lot of people have confused the song with its performance. The song´s greatest form is its studio version. Bono´s voice sounds just perfect and the tone and solemnity of are captured perfectly and I doubt anyone could ever possibly duplicate it.

While I do agree that its live performances have been terrible for the past 7+ years I must intercede on behalf of the song and say that it is truly one of the greatest songs ever written. It´s lyrics are gorgeous and their ambiguity are actually the beauty of it because it can serve and relate to any bittersweet occasion.

Beautiful song. Possibly the song I most respect out of U2´s entire cannon.

I don't have to say anything else! You have said it all! :bow: x infinity

But I will quote the best part up there... cos it can never be quoted enough!

BrownEyedBoy said:
I think a lot of people have confused the song with its performance. The song´s greatest form is its studio version. Bono´s voice sounds just perfect and the tone and solemnity of are captured perfectly and I doubt anyone could ever possibly duplicate it.

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

BrownEyedBoy said:

Studio version >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Live version (including "do you hear us coming lord" verse)

well, on Interf everything U2 pooped out in the 90s is overrated
so there is something to be said for that
: D

i knew this would be a controversial thread, which is fine. but i think it's hilarious that the fact that i'm a mod has anything to do with it. so i'm not allowed to have a negative opinion about anything U2 has done because i'm a mod? sorry, i don't think any of the mods here can say they love everything the band has done, every song, every career move, etc. i certainly won't speak for any of them though, i just doubt it.

i try to keep my "mod" title separate from my posts. unless i'm closing a thread, or doing some other mod duty, i'm not posting as a mod. i'm posting as an interference member. it's not one and the same. sure i'm a mod of these forums, but first and foremost i'm an interference member. i was a member of these forums before i was a mod, and i'll probably be a member after i'm a mod.

anyway, if i haven't provided enough reasons (i did specifically say WE in the title, meaning not just me, and i didn't recall saying "top 100 reasons" or anything implying there'd be some long list) then i'm sorry. this thread was more intended to be a springboard for discussion for me and others who'd expressed dislike for the song in another thread here. i'm sick of explaining myself. you love the song, fine. i don't like the song and i probably never will.

this thread wasn't started so people could argue about whether or not the song indeed sucks (really, isn't that all subjective, regardless of how many critics or fans or whatever says it does or doesn't suck?) it was started so, like i said, me and others who'd been posting about our dislike for the song could post about it here. the idea to start the thread (with this title) was come up with by others. i created it because 1. no one else did; 2. i thought it'd be funny if a mod of all people created it.

anyway, there's my long ass explanation of the thread, the title, everything. so there.

One does indeed FUCKING SUCK. And the reasons it fucking sucks have NOTHING to do with confusing it with the live performance frequency, so I'd appreciate it if some of you rabid One defenders would stop spamming this thread by making false accusations and twisting the discussion.

You want to know why One fucking sucks? Let me put it as simply as possible. The lyrics are cliched and overwrought tripe. It sounds like some pathetic pseudo-anthem written for teenage girls who loved My Heart Will Go On when they were ten (yes, I realise the order of release is actually the opposite, but I don't know an appropriate pre-One example). Stylistically, it feels like it follows in the template of WOWY, which is an absolute condemnation of any pretense of originality it may try to possess. What's more, it doesn't even do anything with that template. Larry and Adam do absolutely nothing to write home about. Edge has created far more interesting and memorable guitar lines in almost every other U2 song. Bono's singing does nothing to push the song over the line or give it any gravity. And the worst part? The song just ... dies. It should reach some sort of climax, but it just blathers out with some guitar that never achieves any significance and Bono's inconsequential wailing. It's like they had no idea how to finish the fucking song.

The only worthwhile part of the song was in fact in its live version, the "do you hear us coming?" verse that at least gave it a proper conclusion. But then the live version has been whored out to every cause and every audience possible as it is trotted onstage every bloody night. Its heart and soul is gone. No song, no matter how indescribably good it is, should be played at every show for fifteen years without a break. It needs a rest, so that it can become fresh again. What's worse than not hearing a song? Hearing an uninspired and passionless version that has no meaning - and Bono's attempts to invest it with even a shadow of significance have just given us rambling speeches that, due to their longwindedness, ineffectively convey their message. That is One today. It fucking sucked when it came out, and it fucking sucks now.

QED.

Last edited:
Axver said:
You want to know why One fucking sucks? Let me put it as simply as possible. The lyrics are cliched and overwrought tripe. It sounds like some pathetic pseudo-anthem written for teenage girls who loved My Heart Will Go On when they were ten (yes, I realise the order of release is actually the opposite, but I don't know an appropriate pre-One example).

:| If you don't know an appropriate pre-One example, do you know what that means??? It means that the song is an original! Geez, you sound like somebody that listened to Celine Dion first and then went back and discovered One. No wonder you hate it!

And WOWY is a completely different song. Just because they're both ballads doesn't mean they're similar in any way.

Axver shows up right on time with the vitriol. Did everyone set their clocks accordingly?

(And I admire your passion Axver, even though I seldom agree with you. So I kid you, not to start a war, but with all due respect.)

skott100 said:
After a certain point, I just stopped "hearing" it when I heard it. It was like air. "Oh, yeah. One. Cool." But from time to time, in the right circumstances, there are those times when I really "hear" it again and realize that it really is a great song.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the song. I'm mostly tired of hearing it, but every now and then it gives me shivers when I hear it.

I think if it were dropped from the setlist (or rotated), you wouldn't have a lot of casual fans missing it - some, sure. I just don't think it's up there with songs like WOWY or Pride in that respect.

Axver said:
But then the live version has been whored out to every cause and every audience possible as it is trotted onstage every bloody night. Its heart and soul is gone. No song, no matter how indescribably good it is, should be played at every show for fifteen years without a break. It needs a rest, so that it can become fresh again. What's worse than not hearing a song? Hearing an uninspired and passionless version that has no meaning - and Bono's attempts to invest it with even a shadow of significance have just given us rambling speeches that, due to their longwindedness, ineffectively convey their message. That is One today. It fucking sucked when it came out, and it fucking sucks now.
exactly. :|

corianderstem said:

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the song. I'm mostly tired of hearing it, but every now and then it gives me shivers when I hear it.

I think if it were dropped from the setlist (or rotated), you wouldn't have a lot of casual fans missing it - some, sure. I just don't think it's up there with songs like WOWY or Pride in that respect.

I agree completely with the first paragraph.

Disagree with the 2nd. Every U2 show I go to, I look around and watch people listen to One, since I'm a bit tired of it. People love it.

Axver said:
But then the live version has been whored out to every cause and every audience possible as it is trotted onstage every bloody night. Its heart and soul is gone. No song, no matter how indescribably good it is, should be played at every show for fifteen years without a break. It needs a rest, so that it can become fresh again. What's worse than not hearing a song? Hearing an uninspired and passionless version that has no meaning - and Bono's attempts to invest it with even a shadow of significance have just given us rambling speeches that, due to their longwindedness, ineffectively convey their message. That is One today.

Now this I wholeheartedly agree with! Once again, you people seem to be letting the boring live versions and the frequency of those boring live versions affect your appreciation of a studio gem!

Zootlesque said:
:| If you don't know an appropriate pre-One example, do you know what that means??? It means that the song is an original!

Um, no. Way to fucking miss the point. It means I don't listen to shitty eighties ballads that ten year old girls poured their hearts out to. I know thousands of them exist. So do you!

:|

And WOWY is a completely different song. Just because they're both ballads doesn't mean they're similar in any way.

Except they draw on the same ballad structure.

it sucks live. the first time you hear the recording its amazing but its on the radio way too much

No spoken words said:

Disagree with the 2nd. Every U2 show I go to, I look around and watch people listen to One, since I'm a bit tired of it. People love it.

I think most U2 fans (really most of any fans for virtually any band) are casual fans, but on sites populated by (and catering to) uber fans that is forgotten. And most casual fans like the hits.

Zootlesque said:
Once again, you people seem to be letting the boring live versions and the frequency of those boring live versions affect your appreciation of a studio gem!

Here's a tip: read for a fucking change.

Because I'm not going to spam the thread like some of you have been doing, I'll re-post this just once. Hopefully the bold text of the quote will help you to get it this time.

Axver said:
One does indeed FUCKING SUCK. And the reasons it fucking sucks have NOTHING to do with confusing it with the live performance frequency, so I'd appreciate it if some of you rabid One defenders would stop spamming this thread by making false accusations and twisting the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom