We are the real U2 fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: We are the real U2 fans

cardosino said:

Oh jeez, get over yourself. All you're doing is expressing an opinion, you're nto one iota different than those who say they think ATYC:B is the greatest thing they've ever heard

Yeah, it was tough....you hear a song, you think "I like that", man that's hard.

Shade said:
I get sick of U2_Guy's anti-American bullshit, but I agree with him on just about everything else, including this. If you post anything critical of U2 in these boards, you invariably get at least a few people with insanely high postcounts who tell you that if you don't like something, you should leave and let everybody else in the forum be happy.

What happens is, those of us with 'insanely high post counts' have been here so long and have seen it so much and so many threads like that it becomes redundant and pointless, we just think, argh, not again!! :banghead: (U2girl I know you know how I feel!) We fail to understand why this person is even a fan if all they want to do is bash, and wonder why they are even here. One thing that has always gotten to me is the 'everyone has a right to their opinion' thing to justify bashers, yet isn't bashing the bashing also someone's 'opinion?' ;)

Personally, I love every album U2 ever put out. And I mean every one. I love ATYCLB because it was my first U2 album. I love all the other ones because they are brilliant. And I love HTDAAB because the music/lyrics/everything are just incredible. Does that make me a blind worshipper of the band? No. Do blind worshippers have the same characteristics that I just mentioned? Possibly, but what I'm trying to say here is that it's not right to generalize any group of people here on this forum. I think I'm one of the most critical fans when it comes to U2, but I still love all their albums. I love getting into discussions about the album, because I enjoy talking about the pros and cons of this song or that guitar part etc. I personally feel that POP is an unfinished work. But I still think it's a great album. (that's a whole nother subject though) Now, I know you weren't singling out any specific person here, but I think "maybe" (and I don't want to assume too much here) that because we have been involved in a few rather heated arguments recently, that you might have classified me into this "blind worship group" but I just want to make it clear that I don't agree with everything U2 have done, but I just happen to love all their albums and what-not because I think they are of a high quality. If you don't like their later work that's fine, but because I, and many others DO, don't over-generalize and say that we are all just blindly following this band because you don't feel their last two albums are any good.

Ok i'm still a rookie at this so Give me some slack.
But dear God Be glad their still writing music and are still staying relevant. Ok big deal they did AB Zooropa (My all time fav) and Pop get over the fact that they felt like reinventing and quit giving people hell for what they like, and one other thing WHO IS ANYONE TO JUDGE WHAT A BLIND WORSHIPPER IS? Geez.:huh:

Last edited:
There's all this talk about "experimental" U2 in some albums, but sorry, I don't see it. U2 is a rock band and have always worked within that genre. Every time we say "experimental" it's not - it's just a slightly different sound for U2.

U2 deviated from their past sounds with UF, "Zooropa", and a few token tracks on "Pop", AB and HTDAAB (yes, the new album). But to stay it's "experimental" is questionable.

"Pop" is not this highly experimental album so many claim. It has two more techno sounding songs with "Do You Feel Loved" and "Mofo" and one more "unique" song with "Miami". All the rest is traditional U2 - either rocking ("Discotheque") or classic sounding ("If God Will Send..." and "Staring at the Sun").

AB is also not highly experimental - just a different style for U2. Yes, it incorporates more beats and grooves, but is that "experimental"? Furthermore, AB also has traditional U2 ("One") and rocking songs ("Until the End..."). What makes it stand out a lot more than it should is the shift in this sound from JT. But really, this is a pretty straight-forward rock album with faster beats than JT. To my ears, it's not a radical departure in sound (and one that could be heard in songs like "Exit" and "God Part II").

UF experimented because it contained instrumental tracks ("4th of July"), songs written on the spot ("Elvis Presley..."), songs with no guitars at all ("MLK") and songs built almost entirely around 2 notes ("Bad"). Still, it also contained plenty of rock songs.

HTDAAB is mostly a straight-forward rock record, like AB. However, there is some deviation with "Fast Cars" and "Love & Peace...". These two songs are like nothing U2 have ever done, but still are "rock songs".

"Zooropa" has a few songs that are far more experimental, but they aren't all that good ("Babyface" and "Some Days..."). And some songs are in the vein of AB ("Zooropa") while others just have a guest singer but are still classic U2 ("The Wanderer").

In other words, if we must say "experiment", then U2 experiments within the very finite boundaries of the rock music genre. They examine different beats, rhythms and sounds. They visit their past repeatedly, but make it fresh. They try hard not to repeat messages or ideas.

The only time U2 were truly experimental was with OS1, and they didn't even release that under their name!

Bottom line: if HTDAAB isn't to your liking, cool. Just don't say it's not "experimental" enough, because that term isn't applicable to most U2.

Lancemc said:
If you don't like their later work that's fine, but because I, and many others DO, don't over-generalize and say that we are all just blindly following this band because you don't feel their last two albums are any good.

I don't think they are blind devotees because they like the last 2 records. What makes them blind devotees are posts like "don't come here to say negative things about U2" or "this place is for people who like U2 and not for those who criticize them" etc, assuming that if one criticizes U2 he's not a fan and therefore should leave the forum.

I praise U2 in many many posts. I'm a HUGE fan and a completist. I doubt anyone on these boards have more U2 records and promo items than i do. I'm a serious fan since 1991. And i mean serious. Not a "1963 Beatles Hysteria kinda Fan"...

U2_Guy said:

I don't think they are blind devotees because they like the last 2 records. What makes them blind devotees are posts like "don't come here to say negative things about U2" or "this place is for people who like U2 and not for those who criticize them" etc, assuming that if one criticizes U2 he's not a fan and therefore should leave the forum.

I praise U2 in many many posts. I'm a HUGE fan and a completist. I doubt anyone on these boards have more U2 records and promo items than i do. I'm a serious fan since 1991. And i mean serious. Not a "1963 Beatles Hysteria kinda Fan"...

I have to agree with you there.

You are NOT A MORE REAL a fan of U2, just because you dislike ATYCLB/HTDAAB.
Those who liked them are NOT A MORE REAL fan of U2 than you are.
It does not matter which era of U2 you like to make you a REAL fan.

Enough of this already. Please.
We all know who the blind worshippers here are, and of which album.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with people questioning stuff about U2. We don't all have the same tastes, even when it comes to the band, but it is a matter of taste. You are trying to say YOUR taste is what is correct. I think where the problem comes in is not that people question what U2 do it's that sometimes when people do they put others down for having an opposite OPINION. That's just what it is... AN OPINION. Just because someone else loves the new album doesn't mean they are wrong. If you see things about it YOU don't like then that's fine. I don't think anyone here would have an issue with that but by acting as if people that do like it are blind and can't see the obvious problems you may see doesn't mean anything. It's YOUR perception.

My impression is that when people say they don't like the negativity it's that they don't like the intolerance that some have here. OPINION is just that and it always will be. When it comes to taste there is NO TRUTH in it. It’s about opinion. I respect the fact that some people don’t like this record. That’s fine with me. I don’t like Pop (and it doesn’t mean I’m not a “real” fan) but I’m happy for people that do. Sometimes certain songs can mean more to one person than another. What is wrong with that?

Hey, i thought were all real U2 fans here even,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:wink:

U2girl said:
You are NOT A MORE REAL a fan of U2, just because you dislike ATYCLB/HTDAAB.
Those who liked them are NOT A MORE REAL fan of U2 than you are.
It does not matter which era of U2 you like to make you a REAL fan.

Enough of this already. Please.
We all know who the blind worshippers here are, and of which album.

I'm quoting myself now: "I don't think they are blind devotees because they like the last 2 records. What makes them blind devotees are posts like "don't come here to say negative things about U2" or "this place is for people who like U2 and not for those who criticize them" etc, assuming that if one criticizes U2 he's not a fan and therefore should leave the forum.

I praise U2 in many many posts. I'm a HUGE fan and a completist. I doubt anyone on these boards have more U2 records and promo items than i do. I'm a serious fan since 1991. And i mean serious. Not a "1963 Beatles Hysteria kinda Fan"... "

Lisa71 said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with people questioning stuff about U2. We don't all have the same tastes, even when it comes to the band, but it is a matter of taste. You are trying to say YOUR taste is what is correct. I think where the problem comes in is not that people question what U2 do it's that sometimes when people do they put others down for having an opposite OPINION. That's just what it is... AN OPINION. Just because someone else loves the new album doesn't mean they are wrong. If you see things about it YOU don't like then that's fine. I don't think anyone here would have an issue with that but by acting as if people that do like it are blind and can't see the obvious problems you may see doesn't mean anything. It's YOUR perception.

My impression is that when people say they don't like the negativity it's that they don't like the intolerance that some have here. OPINION is just that and it always will be. When it comes to taste there is NO TRUTH in it. It’s about opinion. I respect the fact that some people don’t like this record. That’s fine with me. I don’t like Pop (and it doesn’t mean I’m not a “real” fan) but I’m happy for people that do. Sometimes certain songs can mean more to one person than another. What is wrong with that?

I'm quotingmyself here: "I don't think they are blind devotees because they like the last 2 records. What makes them blind devotees are posts like "don't come here to say negative things about U2" or "this place is for people who like U2 and not for those who criticize them" etc, assuming that if one criticizes U2 he's not a fan and therefore should leave the forum.

I praise U2 in many many posts. I'm a HUGE fan and a completist. I doubt anyone on these boards have more U2 records and promo items than i do. I'm a serious fan since 1991. And i mean serious. Not a "1963 Beatles Hysteria kinda Fan"..."

bbmma said:

I'm quoting myself now: "I don't think they are blind devotees because they like the last 2 records. What makes them blind devotees are posts like "don't come here to say negative things about U2" or "this place is for people who like U2 and not for those who criticize them" etc, assuming that if one criticizes U2 he's not a fan and therefore should leave the forum.

I praise U2 in many many posts. I'm a HUGE fan and a completist. I doubt anyone on these boards have more U2 records and promo items than i do. I'm a serious fan since 1991. And i mean serious. Not a "1963 Beatles Hysteria kinda Fan"... "

Oh good to know your alter U2_Guy.

Reread your initial post and try again.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Oh good to know your alter U2_Guy.

Reread your initial post and try again.

It's not my alter nick. It's my cousin's nick, i was at his home and it logged automatically with that nick.

I don't have alter nicks to say things. Anything i want to say i say under U2_Guy. I have guts.

And i don't have to try again, i already succeeded.

Ok, I take that back - abut the alter.

Succeed at what? Pissing off people, generalizing and insulting several of those who liked ATYCLB/HTDAAB?
Yes, you did succeed.

ps: being a completist does not make you a bigger/more real fan, either.

Last edited:
I too have thought that this topic is so overposted with the exact same argument that surely it must be the same guy or 2 guys over and over again using alters and trying to make it look like there were more of that opinion in order to influence the direction of the band. But even if it was, it didn't work, they did what they wanted to anyway like they always do! Yes, I have seen these threads lamenting the lack of 'guts' and 'experimentation' ad nauseum for over 3 years. Oh and BTW I am posting under an alter at the moment, I am actually one of those 'insanely high post count' people!;) :lol: and it's no secret.

U2girl said:

ps: being a completist does not make you a bigger/more real fan, either.

Exactly.
For me, HTDAAB is the real ATYCLB. Return to the majestic, triumphant UF/JT poprock. I didn't like ATYCLB. A tired, uninnovative record with some horrible production in it. For me, five or six songs on HTDAAB are in front of the best song on ATYCLB.
I hope that the next album will present something new.

RocknRollKitty said:
I too have thought that this topic is so overposted with the exact same argument that surely it must be the same guy or 2 guys over and over again using alters and trying to make it look like there were more of that opinion in order to influence the direction of the band. But even if it was, it didn't work, they did what they wanted to anyway like they always do! Yes, I have seen these threads lamenting the lack of 'guts' and 'experimentation' ad nauseum for over 3 years. Oh and BTW I am posting under an alter at the moment, I am actually one of those 'insanely high post count' people!;) :lol: and it's no secret.

How wrong you are...i suggest that you check the IPs. I only post under U2_Guy.

IPs are easily manipulated. My sister bounces hers off South Dakota and Michigan when she posts on Court TV and political boards. Also you could be posting from work, internet cafe, or some else's house. I'm not saying you are an alter, only that we will never be sure one way or the other.

I think a person can like all of U2's releases and not be a 'blind fan.' I like Zooropa for different reasons than I like Joshua Tree, but I like both. I may not enjoy both at the same level, but I understand what U2 was doing with Zooropa, and I commend them for it. Some of the songs on that album are really quite good. And although I don't care for a lot of the Pop album, it has some gems on it, and I cannot deny that. And the single version of 'Please' blew me the hell away.

I think there are blind U2 fans out there, sure, as there are blind fans for every band/celebrity. But don't confuse this with simply liking all of a band's albums for one way or the other. Ask any of these 'blind fans' what their least favorite U2 tracks are, and I'm sure they could come up with answers just as quickly as you could. :wink:

-Miggy D

RocknRollKitty = U2kitten or something like that, right? How imaginative...

RocknRollKitty said:
IPs are easily manipulated. My sister bounces hers off South Dakota and Michigan when she posts on Court TV and political boards. Also you could be posting from work, internet cafe, or some else's house. I'm not saying you are an alter, only that we will never be sure one way or the other.

Believe in whatever makes you feel happier.

It's amazing how these posts deteriorate into something that was not intended... And how your words are twisted...

U2_Guy said:

I did not need to read your location anyway.

I did admit to being an alter anyway.

And if you claim to have sniffed me out regardless, that proves you are indeed a seasoned veteran, because only those of us who have been here a long time and know each other's posting styles and personalities are good at picking out alters;)

of course, in my case the cat thing would give it away :D

I'm going back to my other name, all these posts could be adding to my insanely high count!

Last edited:
RocknRollKitty said:

I did admit to being an alter anyway.

I don't have an alter... I'm a persona non grata here because of my nick U2-Guy where i speak my mind (mind of my own)... don't be ridiculous... I used my cousin's pc and i even said it was me under the different nick...

Be fair...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom