Vertigo Tour Set List vs 360 Set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm, you might say 360 has had more rareities. I mean yeah they actually played a track from Pop on Vertigo, but it only lasted two shows. I have some sort of dislike of the vertigo tour and I dont know why. I've grown away from HTDAAB also. I think I just over killed it back then.

Anyways Vertigo wins as far as flow goes, but 360 wins in awesomeness! C'mon....zoo fucking ropa!

People also told me I wouldn't love NLOTH as much anymore after it had been out more than a year..
I still love it as much as I did when I first heard it. Perhaps even more.

Ok, 360 will be your greatest U2 tour ever. They might as well hang it up and not go to arenas as it wont be topped to you. Thats fine. :wink:

Personally I'm looking forward to them "hopefully" going back to arenas. There is a much better connection to the audience, it is easier to see more shows, and I think "overall" they are typically better performances. :shrug:

I think perspective on tours sometimes have a lot to do with what type of experience we have outside of the shows. Travel, meeting people, meeting the band, etc. Popmart was one of the greatest times of my life. Was it their best tour? Looking back, probably not, but it was a good tour despite the backlash it got. At the time I thought it was the best ever.

I just know some people look back at Zoo TV as some type of mystical event or the greatest tour ever, most did not attend any of those shows. I was fortunate enough to see it 8 times. Great tour, was it greater than any other U2 tour I have seen? I do not think so. Each tour has its own characteristic that I liked about it. I do not think any of them piss on the other, some I prefer "slightly" more. There are positives and negatives of each. Like I said, I prefer arena shows, so maybe it is just my bias. But I have been a fan since 1983 and I have seen the tide change with fans about perspective on things MANY times over the years. So give it time, I'm not saying your wrong, but I do think a lot of fans are riding a wave of emotion about this tour at this point. Its typical and there is nothing wrong with it. I just have a different perspective. :)

Not responding to your comment but just in general. I think people are caught up in the emotion and hype of this tour right now. I guess the true test is in 10 years looking back if people will be saying the same thing. I guess time will tell.

Quoted for truth! Basically same scenario with any sort of analysis...need a little history and perspective to let it all settle in.

I would argue that Vertigo was significantly better than Elevation, but I know several people would disagree with me on it. But at least I've got enough time and perspective to make a valid argument on it.

I saw 11 shows on Vertigo and it kicked ass. Not saying 360 wasn't completely awesome as well but to toss Vertigo aside is totally unfair. Also, I don't think it counts for anyone to compare the tours if they didn't see both tours because obviously you're going to like the tour you saw in person over the ones you didn't. For 360, being transported back to Zoo TV was like a dream come true for me having never seen them during that time. But Vertigo was all about Boy. I never thought I'd hear any of those songs live either so I was blown away each time one of them popped up in the set. Stories for Boys snippet, OOC, I Will Follow (not always in the mix at the first part of the tour if I'm remembering right), An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart...not to mention the completely amazing Electric Co with Edge's kick ass solo action each night. I heard all of them at least once during the tour. When's the last time those songs were played? Also, I loved the Vertigo stage. I was able to see Vertigo in both US arenas and also stadium shows in Dublin. I loved the smaller arena show over the huge stadium so when I got to 360, I just felt like it was too big and would have like something smaller.

But both tours were awesome because U2 is truly the most awesome band on the planet. I've never been to a bad U2 concert and I don't expect I ever will.

One more thing...Vertigo ended with 40. While I loved MOS as a closer on 360, I just think it should have been the second to last song with 40 as the closer because that's just the ultimate U2 closer.

Vertigo for me, too. I saw 8 3rd leg shows, six in a row and then two more a month later, and it was EXCITING. I saw both Discotheques, the premiere of Fast Cars, Gloria, OOC, The Ocean, MLK when it was a rarity, Bad multiple times, 40 multiple times, WGRYWH, Crumbs, OOTS, Zoo Station, Walk On when it wasn't a nightly thing, and on and on. Every night was electric, and I had the feeling they could pull out anything, and it was all in the intimacy of arenas, which I prefer.

Don't get me wrong, 360 was great (UV, TUF, YBR, Zooropa, HMTMKMKM, and all the NLOTH material from the second leg, I loved seeing those songs!), there was just something about the run of Vertigo shows I saw that was magical for me.

Vertigo for me, too. I saw 8 3rd leg shows, six in a row and then two more a month later, and it was EXCITING. I saw both Discotheques, the premiere of Fast Cars, Gloria, OOC, The Ocean, MLK when it was a rarity, Bad multiple times, 40 multiple times, WGRYWH, Crumbs, OOTS, Zoo Station, Walk On when it wasn't a nightly thing, and on and on. Every night was electric, and I had the feeling they could pull out anything, and it was all in the intimacy of arenas, which I prefer.

Don't get me wrong, 360 was great, there was just something about the run of Vertigo shows I saw that was magical for me.

I knew there were songs I forgot about. I heard them all on your list but Discotheque. I waited the whole tour for Gloria and finally got that on my last show in Cleveland.

Too bad you missed them!

Do you know I mean though? It literally felt like anything could happen.

not them....just Discotheque. I heard everything on your list as well as the list I made :)

I felt that on both tours anything could happen but I never thought they'd play Zooropa. I don't think anyone did!

By "them," I meant the two performances of Discotheque. :)

I know what you mean, I never would have dreamed in a million years that they'd pull out Zooropa, or even TUF or UV for that matter. Seeing all of those was thrilling. But this tour, while they played a similar number of songs as the Vertigo tour, according to another poster, it seemed that any changes that took place were from leg to leg, and that on individual nights, if you were aware of the setlists from that leg, chances were you weren't going to see much, if any variation from it.

I do realize there's a reason for this, by virtue of playing stadiums, they're playing to a wider audience with many more casual fans, and if they'd pulled out some of the songs on 360 that they did on Vertigo, it'd be a snoozefest for 90% of the audience. I'm really looking forward to next tour. I know that Bono lies and all, but he'd better deliver on the arena thing for me. :wink:

I think 360 definitely blows Vertigo out of the water. Especially this final leg of 360. Unbelievable.

The energy and the power coming from the band was just incredible. They were really feeling the music during each and every song. Seeing shows on the final leg only confirmed to me that this is one of the few bands left that does not just "telephone" the performance in. They are really in it to win it.

Honestly, I think that the setlist they played at the final 360 show would have been my perfect U2 setlist ever. The only thing I would have changed would be to drop Miss Sarajevo for Running To Stand Still (Ever since the first time they played Miss Sarajevo on the tour back in 2010 in Europe, I have thought that Running To Stand Still would have been a much better replacement), add in Ultraviolet after Hold Me, Thrill Me, and include Bad in the final encore between Out of Control and 40.

Also, if they had actually played Discotheque after Crazy Tonight, which would have provided a great transitional opportunity, then that really would have been my ultimate U2 setlist. :drool::drool::drool:

I would have enjoyed hearing more Boy songs, personally. May be in the minority for that. But the 360 show I went to was amazing.

I think 360 definitely blows Vertigo out of the water. Especially this final leg of 360. Unbelievable.

The energy and the power coming from the band was just incredible. They were really feeling the music during each and every song. Seeing shows on the final leg only confirmed to me that this is one of the few bands left that does not just "telephone" the performance in. They are really in it to win it.

Honestly, I think that the setlist they played at the final 360 show would have been my perfect U2 setlist ever. The only thing I would have changed would be to drop Miss Sarajevo for Running To Stand Still (Ever since the first time they played Miss Sarajevo on the tour back in 2010 in Europe, I have thought that Running To Stand Still would have been a much better replacement), add in Ultraviolet after Hold Me, Thrill Me, and include Bad in the final encore between Out of Control and 40.

Also, if they had actually played Discotheque after Crazy Tonight, which would have provided a great transitional opportunity, then that really would have been my ultimate U2 setlist. :drool::drool::drool:

You do realize that this post reads like a recipe site where someone comments on a recipe "it was fantastic! But i substituted A for B and X for Y" ad nauseum, till it no longer even resembles the original recipe. :lol:

Difficult to compare - I saw vertigo both indoors and outdoors. 360 winds by a mile on the outdoor to outdoor comparison. Comparing 360 and Vertigo indoors? I have to leave this one for a while and let the memories settle down to make a decision. A tie for the moment.

Last edited:
Before this tour hit South America I'd agree Vertigo crapped all over 360, but now I'd have to say they're about equal. Both excellent tours setlist wise.

I said the same thing, but as soon as they put in EBTTRT, the fly, and Zooropa, that blew the Vertigo tour away!

I'd say 360 wins by the slightest of margins.

Both tours, when all was said and done, featured a lot more songs in the mix than probably Zoo Tv, PopMart and Elevation. Vertigo rotated a bit more nightly, but that is the nature of an arena tour as we all know. In terms of surprises/rare gems, Vertigo and 360 are about equal.

Vertigo is getting a bit of a bad rap around here, I think.

A lot of us would've liked Running To Standstill to replace Miss Sarajevo, and Vertigo had that quite frequently. There were also a couple full band performances of Who's Gonna Ride, very frequent Zoo Station and all of the Boy songs they dug up. Gloria and slightly more frequent performances of Bad combined with 40 as a closing staple kept the diehards happy without scarificing the new stuff.

That being said, 360 would win going away if you just evaluated all the shows from Turin 2010 until the end in Moncton. Legs 1 and 2 really held 360 from its full potential.

2011, set list and especially performance wise, 360 blows Vertigo out of the water, but when we look at the enitrety of both tours, I think it's a bit closer to a tie.

In terms of surprises/rare gems, Vertigo and 360 are about equal.

Your blue room.

Two verses of The wanderer in Nashville.

Scarlet.

Zooropa.

All the new songs in Europe in 2010.

Love rescue me.

With all due respect to Boy/AB/First time, Miss Sarajevo on Vertigo, I think 360 had far bigger surprises. And it was a fully stadium tour.

Your blue room.

Two verses of The wanderer in Nashville.

Scarlet.

Zooropa.

All the new songs in Europe in 2010.

Love rescue me.

With all due respect to Boy/AB/First time, Miss Sarajevo on Vertigo, I think 360 had far bigger surprises. And it was a fully stadium tour.

Can think of just as much on Vertigo.....

Improvised encores(sometimes Vertigo X2 after 40)

Switching up the order frequently.

Fast Cars

Bringing back Kite as the closer on the last leg.

Saints are Coming

Window in The Skies

collaborations w/ Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, Bruce, etc.

I mean, there's no scientific way of doing this since we would all have different definitions of surprises, but for all intents and purposes, Vertigo and 360 are about equal in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom