US Politics XXXVIII: "Patriots" vs Reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All it takes for Trump to get back in is low turnout by Dems. The young voters have done better the last few elections and we’ll see if they see things as Genocide Joe, or if that’s a made up issue.

I’ve brought up that Trump has increased his turnout with Latinos. 37% said yeah we don’t mind a wall!

Dems need to keep hammering abortion.

It’s up to women to save us

Reports of a 5 day pause

Hamas would release hostages in waves. Starting with women and children.

Humanitarian aid would also flow into Gaza

Would be a welcome shift tho I still believe Israel can’t win either way.

Pause also allows Hamas to regroup and dig in deeper, and plan their next attacks.

Trump’s base is small in the grand scheme of things and that’s why he’s a poor candidate. The perfect storm happened in 2016 with Hilary and Trump caught a lot of people by surprise. Didn’t happen in 2020 and for sure won’t happen in 2024.

Agree Trump's base these days is smaller than in the past.

Disagree about 2020. The timing of the pandemic and economic fallout was THE perfect storm to the political benefit of current President Biden.

And the economic impact of the Covid years is still reverberating in a huge way now.
(Not only in America, of course)

Yes, but since then we've had January 6th, Roe v. Wade overturned, and all these indictments. No, it certainly won't impact his hardcore base, but he won't win the general because of it. Almost any Republican acquaintance I know says there is no way in hell they'll vote for Trump. They won't vote for Biden either, but a No for Trump is enough.

Agree Trump's base these days is smaller than in the past.

Disagree about 2020. The timing of the pandemic and economic fallout was THE perfect storm to the political benefit of current President Biden.

I'm actually almost 100% in agreement with you on the reasons Trump lost in 2020.

You could make the case that the 2018 midterms foreshadowed Trump's exit, but same time the party that holds the executive usually suffers some turnover in congress during their term....but the hatred for Trump was definitely showing in 2018.

While Covid did destroy the economy, Trump has no one to blame but his own administration for how they handled it. Trump could have waltz to another term had they not been so idiotic. They downplayed the virus. They played politics with it. The ONE shining achievement his admin had, the rapid development and release of the life saving vaccine....

His administration decided to play to the Krazy Karen base and ended up killing more people.

Had they been normal caring human beings, they could have been seen as actual saviors of people and the economy.

Instead the doubled down on dumb, and Biden took over that space of empathy. People wanted a return to normal. But they also are so tired of the drama and incompetence/evil.

Trump's base is smaller than before (partially cause the GQP killed them off with covid and guns), but he is seeing gains in voting groups that Democrats used to win.

Biden still only won those battleground states by a few thousand votes. If war expands overseas, or gas prices rise again in the summer, who knows.

Americans will gladly elect a convicted felon as long as their gas prices and groceries are low

Yes, but since then we've had January 6th, Roe v. Wade overturned, and all these indictments. No, it certainly won't impact his hardcore base, but he won't win the general because of it.

I see it the same.

The reckless way former president Trump began challenging results in multiple states immediately after losing on Nov 3 2020 was enough to chase away a lot of folks. And it's snowballed from there.

He could've been in a really strong position today going into Nov 2024. Only one guy to blame for that.

Inflation has reached its lowest point in 2 1/2 years. The unemployment rate has stayed below 4% for the longest stretch since the 1960s. And the U.S. economy has repeatedly defied predictions of a coming recession. Yet according to a raft of polls and surveys, most Americans hold a glum view of the economy.

Yea maybe because everyone keeps talking about how bad the economy is

Inflation has reached its lowest point in 2 1/2 years. The unemployment rate has stayed below 4% for the longest stretch since the 1960s. And the U.S. economy has repeatedly defied predictions of a coming recession. Yet according to a raft of polls and surveys, most Americans hold a glum view of the economy.

Yea maybe because everyone keeps talking about how bad the economy is

At this point, Biden could kill Putin and Kim Jong with his bare hands and the media would make a story called "Why this is bad for Biden".

Why?

The media (including MSNBC and CNN) loves Trump. He's a ratings monster. They want this election to be close at all costs.

Correct. And I don't quite get it because if he takes over, he will use the Gov to shut them down. Or slowly turn them into a FoxNews.

I think Biden has turned out to be one of the best Presidents of my life time, if not the best.

Not bad for an old

Biden would not be the best President of my lifetime, so far he's done a pretty good job.

Overall best for intelligence, class, dignity, lack of scandal for me would be President Obama. He also handled the difficult economic times well. A very good man imo.

Some good economic times with Bill Clinton, but his personal character sorely lacking in obvious areas. Intelligent guy whose arrogance got him into lots of trouble.

Positive news in the Israel/Hamas war. Hopefully it goes as planned.

Israel and Hamas have reached a deal for a four-day pause in fighting and the release of at least 50 women and children held hostage in Gaza, marking a major diplomatic breakthrough nearly seven weeks after the start of a conflict that has spiraled into a grave humanitarian crisis in the enclave.

The deal, as laid out by key negotiator Qatar in a statement, would see hostages held captive by Hamas released in exchange for a number of Palestinian women and children in Israeli jails. The truce, meanwhile, would also allow the entry of “a larger number of humanitarian convoys and relief aid,” the statement said.

....There is an option for the pause to last as long as 10 days, but Israeli officials believe it is unlikely to last that long.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said when the deal was approved that for every additional 10 hostages who are released, there will be an additional day of a pause in the fighting.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/22/middleeast/israel-approves-hamas-hostage-deal-intl/index.html

Ukraine/Russia war, though, same brutal story. Going on almost two years now.

Ukraine is claiming that Russia lost 3,700 more troops than the 13,700 soldiers that Moscow says were lost by Kyiv in November.

As the Russia-Ukraine war on Tuesday neared its 21-month anniversary, officials from either side of the battlefield claimed that their opponents were suffering massive casualties. Newsweek has not independently verified any of the figures, which both sides may be inflating.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...es-compare-to-ukraines-this-month/ar-AA1kjBet

Yeah, we're waking up with a huge hangover here. That was not a good result. With every election I hope he suffers a big loss, but this time too many were protesting. And falling for his xenophobic rhetoric. Unfortunately. :(

Heartbroken to see what happened in Dublin yesterday, the burning and destruction. I have to find out more information but apparently there was a knife attack and one of those stabbed was a five year old child.

Those who are angry about immigration into Ireland apparently blamed the attack on an immigrant and the government allowing too much unvetted immigration and did this.

Irish Times

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/...ots-and-dublin-stabbings-latest-news-updates/

The violence followed an attack on several people outside the Gaelscoil Choláiste Mhuire children’s school in Parnell Square by a man armed with a knife.

A girl (5) and a woman in her 30s were seriously injured in this attack. A six-year-old girl and a five-year-old boy sustained less serious injuries. The Irish Times understands the woman was an employee of the school or after-school care facility the children were attending.

The chief suspect, a man in his 40s, was also seriously injured in this incident. Officers said they weren’t looking for anyone else and investigators say they’re “keeping an open mind” about any motive..

After the stabbing, violent disturbances broke out on several streets in Dublin city centre after 6pm with clashes between crowds of people and gardaí.

Gardaí say this violence was driven by a “lunatic, hooligan faction driven by a far-right ideology” and they urged people to “ignore misinformation about the stabbing online”. Calm was restored before midnight.

Also according to the Irish Times

"The chief suspect is understood to be a naturalized Irish citizen, who has lived here for 20 years"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom