UK Chart Related question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I apologise that this isn't a U2 related question but I haven't been able to find out this info anywhere. I was wondering does anyone know how many copies Nizlopi - JCB Song sold in the UK last week to get to Number 1? Thanks a million.

Here's the full Top 10:

Sales :

1 JCB SONG NIZLOPI 81660
2 WHEN YOU TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME WESTLIFE FT DIANA ROSS 40708
3 STICKWITU PUSSYCAT DOLLS 24175
4 HUNG UP MADONNA 21322
5 JINGLE BELLS/U CAN'T TOUCH THIS CRAZY FROG 20135
6 UGLY SUGABABES 17898
7 MY HUMPS BLACK EYED PEAS 15522
8 ADVERTISING SPACE ROBBIE WILLIAMS 14916
9 ULTRAVIOLET/THE BALLAD OF PAUL K MCFLY 14734
10 YOU RAISE ME UP WESTLIFE 13908

Thanks a mill! I think this proves that even if Nizlopi waited until this week to release the single it still wouldn't be enough to get Xmas Number 1.

It awful, and so unfair. It would have been great for Nizlopi to get the Xmas No.1 seen as its a private record label. It would have been some achievement.

Even though companies are saying that the U.K.'s CD singles sales are down, looking at those numbers suggests that they are probably the best in the world. Even during the non-holiday season, top singles sell tens of thousands of copies in their first week.

In the U.S., it takes 500,000 copies for a single to go Gold. Yet, often the top singles may sell just mere thousands!! Downloading and regular CD sales have all but eliminated the CD single. Even as far back as the mid-90's, the CD single market was dropping. Music fans just didn't want to pay $5+ for a CD single of a song with a bunch of remixes or songs they don't really want. This is why downloading - legal or illegal - took off. One can get just the song one wants and at a far better price! I'm so happy iTunes is keeping prices at $0.99 (in the U.S.). There's no way a song should cost more than that! There's no packaging, no physical item and just one song (unlike years ago when there was a record, a sleeve and b-sides).

Once the U.K. singles market "dries up" (if that happens), then that's it. We may never see another CD single again! Those b-sides are remixes will be a thing of the past. Artists may release them as special "bonuses" on iTunes or whatever, but the day of looking forward to getting a new U2 song on the CD single release will be gone. Who knows - it could happen by the time U2 release their next album!

That's true. UK Singles Sales are still very good and I think they will always remain so to some degree. JCB's sales of 82,000 is the equivalent of 410,000 sales in the US. Would that happen in the US? Not a chance!!!

Back
Top Bottom