U2's quest for the 'perfect pop song' -- new album talk continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...106 since a band member last spoke of it

That means they are probably working. When we hear about them it's because they are not.

Bono+Bono+Edge+Saint+Tropez+0pHhDgPCcsyl.jpg

Agreed, I really don't see why people are talking as if all they've done this year are Aung San Suu Kyi talks and roasting on the beach. We've only seen them occasionally; they're obviously doing something in the meantime. And who's to say they've not been working on new songs in the south of France?

They've kept pretty quiet this year, and I take it as a good thing. If nothing was really happening, we'd probably know about it.

At this point, we need to just buckle down for the long haul. I look forward to the new material, but I expected it sooner. We should just listen to other things and pretend we aren't at all super excited to hear new material. The watched kettle never boils. :sexywink:.

At this point, we need to just buckle down for the long haul. I look forward to the new material, but I expected it sooner. We should just listen to other things and pretend we aren't at all super excited to hear new material. The watched kettle never boils. :sexywink:.

:hmm: So we should all just pretend we don't really need a new U2 album and U2 will want to give us one? :whistle:

Feckin' U2. I'm off to Snow Patrol and Muse forums then. :wink:

Nope, not even that. Sometimes news goes unreported.

Well, okay, it's true that there are bound to be news that we don't know about. New album title! Lead single! Guaranteed pop radio hit! Edge is on fire! And likewise, "No, we were only kidding. We are not actually working on a new album." I'm sure there are plenty of casual fans out there who don't follow the band constantly but would want to know this.

And then there's the most likely scenario, the one that they've already given us - the band is working quietly. They've made some progress (or not), but there's just nothing to say right now. Some media outlets might deem that newsworthy, too. It wouldn't surprise me, given that lately much of the talk has been about Bono's pants or random sightings of Bono and the Edge in England. Any photo of a band member walking down the street has a chance of making its way onto the internet. If there's just the slightest comment to be made about the photo, it may turn into a story. But is it really newsworthy?

What news do we really want to hear at the moment? That there is a new album in the works? Because if that's the case, then what do we want to hear? That they're at HQ? A studio in the south of France? Some underground bunker in Papua New Guinea? Now I'm a relatively new fan, so I don't know much about how the band operates, but I would assume this is not something that they would announce to the world. So yeah, it makes sense that we haven't heard from them in a while.

Personally, I'd like to imagine that they're at a point where they're going away and dreaming it all up again. (Yeah, I know. I wish!) They didn't like the way NLOTH was received, and they all know they need something new. We know they need some good ideas, so it's really best that the band remain quiet for a while. And several people have already talked about how the new music is "different," whatever that means. And beach sightings do not mean that they're not in the meantime working. They're not spending 24/7 there.

Plus, when we're talking about Bono, it's not likely that he's been sitting around for most of this year doing nothing. If it's humanitarian work, that's something that we're likely to hear about even before a new U2 album. And if he and Edge are working on a Spiderman II... well, then we've got a bigger problem.

When news goes unreported, then there's a reason. U2 either has nothing to report or something may be going on that they're not telling us. Either way, I trust that we'll hear from them when they're ready.

What news do we really want to hear at the moment? That there is a new album in the works? Because if that's the case, then what do we want to hear? That they're at HQ? A studio in the south of France? Some underground bunker in Papua New Guinea? Now I'm a relatively new fan, so I don't know much about how the band operates, but I would assume this is not something that they would announce to the world. So yeah, it makes sense that we haven't heard from them in a while.

Actually, you'd be surprised how much of that kind of news we generally get.

All I'm saying is that nothing does not mean anything. When we have no news, we cannot assume it is good or bad. A lack of information is not information.

All I'm saying is that nothing does not mean anything. When we have no news, we cannot assume it is good or bad. A lack of information is not information.

No new information is something: it's no new information. We can deduct all we want from that, but that's all we have to go by. It simply means the band doesn't have anything to say at the moment, whether because there is nothing to say or because they are not willing to say it.

So yes, what you said is fair enough. Personally, I'm just glad that they're quiet (not giving any new information) for a while. They needed to go away, as long as they don't hide forever.

No new information is something: it's no new information. We can deduct all we want from that, but that's all we have to go by. It simply means the band doesn't have anything to say at the moment, whether because there is nothing to say or because they are not willing to say it.

So yes, what you said is fair enough. Personally, I'm just glad that they're quiet (not giving any new information) for a while. They needed to go away, as long as they don't hide forever.

If you want to say that nothing is something, enjoy the word game, but in the end I think we'll agree: we cannot deduce anything with any certainty from a lack of news.

If you want to say that nothing is something, enjoy the word game, but in the end I think we'll agree: we cannot deduce anything with any certainty from a lack of news.

Nah, I wasn't trying to.

I agree that this is pointless, and we've veered off the original topic slightly. I'll stick to saying that nothing is indeed something, and you can say that nothing is nothing, but we'd be wasting energy debating it.

Nah, I wasn't trying to.

I agree that this is pointless, and we've veered off the original topic slightly. I'll stick to saying that nothing is indeed something, and you can say that nothing is nothing, but we'd be wasting energy debating it.

Yes......must conserve energy......can't die....before .......next......U...2.....al...bum...

The band seems to be better than we are at this...

No, I'm not deducing anything. :silent:
I'm perfectly fine with it. Do I want a new album? Sure (with some excellent music on it obviously). But if my life would depend on waiting for the release of a new U2 album.....

Only keeping things in perspective:up: :yes:

U2 drummer Larry Mullen jr. has a role in the Norwegian director Erik Poppe's new film "A Thousand Times Good Night", writes Dagbladet, one of Norways largest newspapers.

The filmmaker says Mullen is currently moving between what he calls the dayjob, which is "A Thousand Times Good Night" set, and night job, which is recording of the new U2 CD on the south side of town.

U2-trommis med rolle i norsk film - kultur - Dagbladet.no

No news is better than "U2 scraps Danger Mouse sessions and starts over" news.

Back
Top Bottom