U23D setlist party from Sundance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4U2Play said:

Cool, thanks for the tip, I'll be there with my frozen video camera waiting for them (I hope they dress like they did in the NYD video)
I just hope it's accurate. I'm still debating on going up there or not. It's less than a 30 minute drive, but I'd have to cancel a party I'm having with my friends...

OK, we made it to Sundance, Park City is still pretty empty, though.

Tonight (Thursday) was the opening film, "In Bruges", with Colin Farrell and Ralph Fiennes. Another hitman comedy flick with some ultraviolence in the end. Robert Redford and Farrell introduced the movie, but Fiennes wasn't there.

Was hoping some of the lads would be there in support of Farrell, but rumor is that they'll be here Saturday, with some sort of mini-concert somewhere before the U2 3D screenings at 9:45pm and 11:59pm Saturday night.

Spoke to the security honchos at the Eccles Theater in Park City where U2 3D will be playing, telling them that U2 fans will probably start lining up early, and that we will try to coordinate with theater security to ensure a smooth line up outside.

It's below freezing here during the day, so we'll probably allow people to leave the line for a few hours during the day, so everyone doesn't end up frozen and exhausted.

More info as it unfolds....

Nick

Yes, his name is also mentioned in the blog that's up on www.u23dmovie.com

Blog on Jan 16th :

U23Dtechcheck.jpg

So what exactly happens before a movie screening? I’ve never been to a film festival of this caliber before nor have I ever attended as staff. The Sundance film festival is a new experience to me. And everywhere I go, do, and see excites me to no end!

I attended the film’s audio and visual tech check at the Eccles Theater today where the staff tuned and tested the systems. Present were U2 3D Producer and Executive Audio Producer, John Modell as well as U2’s long-time sound team, Carl Glanville and Robbie Adams, Audio Director, Joe O’Herlihy, VFX Supervisor, Dave Franks, Dolby’s Technical Director Russell Allen, Production Manager Jenny Sireci, and Supervising Producer, Ted Kenney.

When asked why such an elite army of technicians was needed for set up, John Modell stated, “It’s the premiere of the film with U2, the greatest band in the world. We brought all the guys who have worked with the band a long time and Clair Bros who brought a customized sound system to the theater. We also worked with Dolby who delivered their newest 3D system, which is amazing looking.” Modell, who is also a musician, felt that this was, “the most high tech film screening that’s ever been done in history.”

Ted Kenney echoed Modell’s eagerness to make everything perfect explaining that today was the last day to make all final touches on the visuals and audio, “Every venue is different so it’s a priority for us to make every seat in the house have the same quality of sound. It’s important to us, the director, and the music producer to replicate a live concert experience.”

I’m not an AV expert. But I have seen a lot of movies in the theater and I can confidently say, I’ve never seen or heard anything like this!

Last edited:
Hihihi, all of a sudden I have this idea in my head of all these people sitting in the theater ready to watch the "world premiere" of the u2 3d movie and then the screen rolls up and out walk u2 ready to perform a show.

Don't ask :coocoo:

Doesn't get more (live and) 3D than that, though.

Last edited:
Miringeltje said:
Hihihi, all of a sudden I have this idea in my head of all these people sitting in the theater ready to watch the "world premiere" of the u2 3d movie and then the screen rolls up and out walk u2 ready to perform a show.

Wouldn't that be incredible! :drool:

Miringeltje said:

OMG... I WOULD DIE. :ohmy: :hyper: :rockon: :rockon: :combust: :bow: :faint:

That would be amazing. I am so jealous. I want to go so bad.:(

Going up there tomorrow...not sure how early I should go. Any ideas? I don't have tickets to the show, just hoping. :( I will have my camera and I promise to post pics if I happen to get any!

Miringeltje said:

Miri - Very nice! Wouldn't that be amazing for the fans there? I will at a birthday party Saturday night so I'll be missing all of the virtual fun here :sad:

Miringeltje said:
Yes, his name is also mentioned in the blog that's up on www.u23dmovie.com

Blog on Jan 16th :

U23Dtechcheck.jpg

So what exactly happens before a movie screening? I’ve never been to a film festival of this caliber before nor have I ever attended as staff. The Sundance film festival is a new experience to me. And everywhere I go, do, and see excites me to no end!

I attended the film’s audio and visual tech check at the Eccles Theater today where the staff tuned and tested the systems. Present were U2 3D Producer and Executive Audio Producer, John Modell as well as U2’s long-time sound team, Carl Glanville and Robbie Adams, Audio Director, Joe O’Herlihy, VFX Supervisor, Dave Franks, Dolby’s Technical Director Russell Allen, Production Manager Jenny Sireci, and Supervising Producer, Ted Kenney.

When asked why such an elite army of technicians was needed for set up, John Modell stated, “It’s the premiere of the film with U2, the greatest band in the world. We brought all the guys who have worked with the band a long time and Clair Bros who brought a customized sound system to the theater. We also worked with Dolby who delivered their newest 3D system, which is amazing looking.” Modell, who is also a musician, felt that this was, “the most high tech film screening that’s ever been done in history.”

Ted Kenney echoed Modell’s eagerness to make everything perfect explaining that today was the last day to make all final touches on the visuals and audio, “Every venue is different so it’s a priority for us to make every seat in the house have the same quality of sound. It’s important to us, the director, and the music producer to replicate a live concert experience.”

I’m not an AV expert. But I have seen a lot of movies in the theater and I can confidently say, I’ve never seen or heard anything like this!

I've been to other film festivals, and if Sundance is done the same way, someone will come out and introduce the film. If cast members/the director are present, they are introduced beforehand. After the film, there might be an interview/questions from the audience. Or the cast members might just bow and wave.

wolf Q said:
Going up there tomorrow...not sure how early I should go. Any ideas? I don't have tickets to the show, just hoping. :( I will have my camera and I promise to post pics if I happen to get any!

Hi -- my suggestion would be to get up there at least three hours early. ordinarily, they open up a waiting list two hours before the screening time. although i've heard that there may not be a waiting list for this one -- because tickets are in such high demand. You should definitely at least get to the Eccles Theatre and check it out. I have tickets to the midnight screening, but I'm going over early to see if there's a possibility for 9:45pm and to check out the scene.

Good luck to everyone going -- and all the info I have received says that the band will be there to at least introduce the film. Not sure about Larry/Adam -- but Bono and Edge for sure! So even if you don't get tickets to the film -- maybe you can catch them heading into the theatre?!?

spanisheyes68

Wow, what a dream indeed!

And I imagine the line up for the U2 3D shows across the nation being similar to the GA line ups before concerts. De ja vu! It's heavenly! :drool:

The_acrobat said:
SOMEBODY ASK THEM ABOUT THE NEW ALBUM!

Bono will say:

We're going into a totally different direction.
Fans will hear the difference.
It will be real molten metal.
It will be a disco record.
Edge is on fire.
Edge has to re-string his guitars.

(Insert own suggestions here)

i sure hope this doesn't affect tonite's festivities.. aka U2 3D premiere...:yikes:

Sundancing in the Dark -- Blackout Kills Parties
Posted Jan 19th 2008 12:40AM by TMZ Staff

Tons of huge stars are partying at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah right now -- but they're all gettin' down in the dark!

We just got word that a major power outage in the city has turned the lights out on Main Street. Spies inside several parties including the Hard Rock Hotel Flaunt Magazine party tell us stars like Brittany Murphy, Paris Hilton and Mos Def are standing around in total darkness while the city figures out how to get the lights back on.

Bummer!

Hey spanisheyes68, any chance you could sell me the midnight showing tickets if you happen to get into the 9:45 show?

U2Fanatic4ever said:
i sure hope this doesn't affect tonite's festivities.. aka U2 3D premiere...:yikes:

Sundancing in the Dark -- Blackout Kills Parties
Posted Jan 19th 2008 12:40AM by TMZ Staff

We just got word that a major power outage in the city has turned the lights out on Main Street.
Bummer!

:hmm: It was all that extra equipment U2's road crew were setting up for the movie, overloaded the circuits..
jk you know :giggle:

The big rumor going around Sundance is that U2 is holding a private concert (possibly tonight after the premiere of U2 3D at the Eccles). It’s the hottest ticket/invite of the festival, only problem is, it doesn’t exist - or so say the publicists behind the film. I have heard that U2 is having a small private party (possibly at Ciseros) and while no musical set is planned, Bono and crew might very well play a few songs, but that isn’t on the official plans.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/19/sundace-tidbits-u2-concert-and-cha-cha/

Hey Miri - do you have contact info for Nick? U2Wedge is on the wait list, he said he's far back, in the grey coat, LOL. He said U2 are supposed to introduce the 2nd showing & do a Q&A

Back
Top Bottom