U2 was close to performing in Cincinnati???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd45177

Acrobat
When Paul McCartney announced last month that he was doing a show at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati, the Cincinnati Enquirer published a story that stated “The Reds got close to landing rock band U2.”

U2 performed just once in Cincinnati. They played at a dive known as Bogart’s on April 17, 1981. These days, I doubt very seriously that they will ever perform in Cincinnati. The City has not yet placed the blame where it properly belongs for the Who tragedy in 1979. In my opinion, the tragedy was the fault of the promoter, the Riverfront Coliseum management and the Cincinnati Police. The closest to GA seating since then has been the lawn at Riverbend Music Center.

Reds hope Paul McCartney concert just the start | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Last edited:
Bruce Springsteen had GA on the floor (at the Coliseum I think) in 2002. He got an exception from the city to allow this and there were no problems reported.

So ya think Cincinnati was considered for 360 '09, or the rescheduled dates? If they actually played Cincinnati, I would lose my *@#&@* mind. It's 30 mins from where I actually live, as oppose to the thousands of miles I fly/roadtrip to watch them.

But, uh... baseball field? I recall Anaheim (?) having 2 GA lines and that was pretty screwed up

So ya think Cincinnati was considered for 360 '09, or the rescheduled dates? If they actually played Cincinnati, I would lose my *@#&@* mind. It's 30 mins from where I actually live, as oppose to the thousands of miles I fly/roadtrip to watch them.

But, uh... baseball field? I recall Anaheim (?) having 2 GA lines and that was pretty screwed up

They're playing at Busch Stadium Sunday night. I'm 50 minutes from GABP.

Is their an Industry blacklist on Cincinnati?

The city haven't allowed GA arena shows since 1979 because of the WHO stadium incident. Bruce got a single arena show exception in 2002. The city has acknowledged that tours are skipping the city because of the rule.

Salt Lake City had a similar rule after a ACDC fatality about 20 years ago. A few years ago they allowed U2 an arena exception and then lifted the ban.

I think if they could have had GA Cincinnati would definitely be a stop on the tour. Ohio was a huge missed market. Cleveland was too close to Detroit and Pittsburg, and Columbus only has the OSU Stadium, which is 100,000+ too big. Cincy would've pulled in crowds from Columbus, Datyon, Indianapolis, Louisville, Lexington, and all points between. Although I think they'd have played at the Bengals Paul Brown Stadium.

At less than 2 hours from my house, this would've been preferred instead of driving 4 hours home after Pittsburgh in the middle of the night. Gotta work next day... ugh...

OSu stadium is too big? Yeah, damn shame for us southwest Ohio people. I guess as long as this ban is in place, we won't have U2 touring Cincinnati on the next tour either. GA crowd energy is part of a U2 show, no way they would nix it just for a city. They might probably choose Indianapolis or somewhere close instead. In fact, have U2 ever played Cinci?

OSu stadium is too big? Yeah, damn shame for us southwest Ohio people. I guess as long as this ban is in place, we won't have U2 touring Cincinnati on the next tour either. GA crowd energy is part of a U2 show, no way they would nix it just for a city. In fact, have U2 ever played Cinci?

Just tarp over the balcony seats like they did in Brisbane and Oklahoma.

April 17th 1981.

U2 could play OSU's football stadium and just sell every other seat, and get about 60,000 in the stadium. Then it might seem feasible. Also the fans would be happy because they get more than a little number on a bench for their ass!

Oh well... hopefully next time U2 tours arenas, and comes to Columbus/Cincy/Indy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom