U2 Unorganized on the Horizon / The U2 Machinery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never said they suck at making money...

Sorry Love, It wasn't directed at anyone in particular.
Just a post. :wink:

On that note, however they could not have continued to make the money witout some savvy business and the music to back it up.
That's not to say there won't be mistakes.

Personally, I think the album cover is one. But it may be in the favor of the other musicians, if someone just buys a cd by the cover they thought was
U2.
(I don't know what category the other music would be in, so it's probably a non-factor.)

Actually it was. It was considered a double A side single with Unforgettable Fire. Both songs had video clips, both had plenty of airplay and the title of both tracks appeared on the front of the single sleeve.

I don't think it was. Yes, there's also a video clip for ASOH, but it was never appointed as a single. As for the title appearing on the front of the single sleeve, that's what the design of the single was. Singles often listed the B-side too on the front of the sleeve.
Besides, ASOH never charted.

And yes, I will again tape this tour, because they can't pull their heads out of their green asses, and sell boots online. (Like lots of well run bands do)

Great news! Only problem is that if the tour starts in Europe we wont get any decent recordings until the Autumn! Unlike your San Diego recordings being shared within one day...

That is unless the IEM guys share quickly this time around, doubt it though... :wink:

I don't think it was. Yes, there's also a video clip for ASOH, but it was never appointed as a single. As for the title appearing on the front of the single sleeve, that's what the design of the single was. Singles often listed the B-side too on the front of the sleeve.
Besides, ASOH never charted.

When the EP was released in here is Australia the official debut was on Countdown and the clip played was ASOH, not TUF. The next week they played it (ASOH) again. Still no TUF.

I was an avid U2 fan and an avid radio listener back then too. I can tell you in this country that ASOH got at least triple the amount of radio and video plays that TUF got.

The cover has both tracks on the cover and was definitely perceived as a 2-lead track single in this country. May have been different in other countries, but that's the way it was here. I'm old enough to remember clearly!

Anyway, we're really splitting hairs. My original post that started this argument simply implied that U2 should play ASOH at their concerts as it's a familiar track that casual fans would recognise. I think that's still true despite the technicality of it being a single or not :rolleyes:

I agree with the original post! What a disaster on the marketing of this single and album. The single went to radio on Jan 19th, and they suggest a download on Feb 15th. How stupid. They should have had GOYB for download on I-Tunes on Monday morning, no question. In the last 7 days, lets be honest, most of us hardcore fans already have downloaded a perfect version of it, and it's on our I-PODS. I will still buy the single for sure, but I already have it on my pod playing. A wasted opportunity.

Any why is the album not available for pre-order in the UK on I-Tunes?! What a total blunder.

Look at what Coldplay did with their last album. They released Silent Hill as a free download, and on day 1 it was also on I-Tunes giving maxium exposure. Within a week, they offered up the new album for pre-order including the song Viva La Vida as immediate download. That was a massive song, and gave the album huge exposure. The result, fans get a good taster of the new album, with two songs, and are less likely to winge or seek a leak. It's worth pointing out that the latest coldplay album has been their biggest seller, despite not being their best.

U2 don't need the money, they're minted. What they need at this stage in their career is a successful, well received album. Why hide their new material and get it slow to the market? It's ridiculous. This week or next, and I hope they do, they should get it on pre-order, with an album track available upon download. U2 fans would be straight on there in a flash to download it.

The single these days for big bands is dead and buried. Getting a song on the radio is the key. GOYB is a corking track, and I love it. Why not get another song out there in early Feb, to showcase the album, and encourage people to buy it online?

And while I am at it. Why is their no video? Get that launched as an exclusive on I-Tunes instead of hiding it away for a big exclusive. Perhaps offer that up as a bonus for downloading the album.

This secretive approach is a disaster. U2 are still the biggest band in the world no question, but for god sake, get with the times and take a few marketing risks. There is no world exclusive anymore, I had GOYB before it premiered on the radio.

Exploit the digital age!

I couldent agree more, I have been checking itunes daily for GOYB and as it is not there I have aquired a copy for my ipod elsewhere.
if the song had been available to buy worldwide on the same day it would have been huge!

So what they're still mastering, but at least get it on pre-order to everyone in the world.

In the UK, No Line on the Horizon is NOT on I-Tunes for pre-order...only in the US...I have searched every day, with my card ready to pay for it...bt each day I am disappointed...

By the way, I love U2...and have high hopes for the album...

Look, I just know what happened to their last album. It leaked 2 weeks before, I was listening to it then. I still bought it on I-Tunes...

All That You Can't Leave Behind I had 3 weeks before, and still bought it on CD...

All I am saying is align with the digital age, and accept leaks will happen, and try and minimise...

I have the deluxe album on order with HMV (cos its the cheapest on the net)and I will download the uk itunes album with bonus tracks(if they ever decide to put it on pre order),
but I will still be looking for a leaked version in the meantime.

Breaking News from U2.com

Download Your Boots (US)

Like the new single ? Live in the US? You can download it from iTunes.

North American fans can download Get On Your Boots from today - and if you pre-order the album on the US iTunes store, you also get to download the single immediately as part of the deal.

:lol: :huh:

It's just ridiculous. I know we've all come to expect this from U2.com...but I also couldn't help believing they just might be getting their shit together this time. Wow. Anyway, they definitely blew an easy chance at a top 5 iTunes single by having the 2 versions.

You'd think they'd at least switch the website over to the new album design. You'd think, eh... Its kind of link back when the original u2.com came online.... Wasn't it just a picture of them recording the album or something.... Hello, Hello, I'm at a place called Vertigo. Oh snap that was 4.5 years ago...

It's easy to critisize the band, but they aren't the ones designing the website. They may have had a hand in it, but when it comes down to it, another team of people are the ones who are responsible for the updates and content on the official site.

i don't know. i guess i find the whole U2.com blunders mildly amusing, but it will never cause me to be angry.

Yeah, it's pretty strange though. I guess this takes away from the "sell-out" accusations--it's hard to sell out when none of your promotions and advertising works correctly.

It's easy to critisize the band, but they aren't the ones designing the website. They may have had a hand in it, but when it comes down to it, another team of people are the ones who are responsible for the updates and content on the official site.

but they are ultimately responsible. it's their band. if their website crew sucks, then U2 should fire them. or, someone hired by U2 has to fire them. there is a chain of command, and the four of them are at the absolute top of that. if this album goes down unnoticed, who will be blamed? U2. not the website team.

You'd think they'd at least switch the website over to the new album design. You'd think, eh... Its kind of link back when the original u2.com came online.... Wasn't it just a picture of them recording the album or something.... Hello, Hello, I'm at a place called Vertigo. Oh snap that was 4.5 years ago...

Live Nation, from what I've heard, does a number of things besides just promote the shows.

In that, they are probably designing U2's site and it will probably go online when the album is released.

Live Nation will probably, like for Bruce and their other clients, run the merchandising. Hence, no more Fan Fire! Hurray!

This is also why they have not cancel subscription that should have been renewed in the past few months.

Many, like myself, received emails stating they would contact us to renew once they've updated things and to 'stay tuned'.

So sure, the U2.com site design is old, not necessarily designed well, etc. But from all indications, this is being addressed and there should be a "NEW and IMPROVED" version soon.

Just adding my to cents here,

A. The website is god awful, it's annoying and the worst I've seen for any band. Maybe the it's not deisgned by U2 excuse hold up for a bit, but this site has sucked hard for a decade. If you want to be on the cutting edge, start with your own damn website, it's sucked to long for me not to blame them personally.

B. This is the first time I've seen the album cover, I think to myself how can I like this band if i think everything about them sucks. It looks horrible, and the equal sign bullshit is just another symbol of their supposed god-like stature, that iwe get shoved down our throats.

C. I tend to believe when they first started making money they thought it would be alright to take all their friends with them for the ride. Lotta people got on the job training by repeating the old process over and over again. That is the reason for incompetence, half these guys are just hanger ons, who the band can't let go due to a sense of loyalty. This is the reason we see the same of BS rehashed every tour. When you bring in new people, who have actually been trained then you have innovation. The present crew are still high on Zootv, but just like that voice..it's never coming back.

D. Sorta unrelated but while I'm at it, there is nothing more boring than going to a concert and knowing within 99.9% what the next song is going to be, without regaurd to the fact we're all heard them a million times before.

E. Casual fans do not get into concerts, casual fans are the because their rich owner uncles mentioned the could get tickets, so they went because they want on the bandwagon. IMO if you're only there to here SBS ans Streets, get the fuck out, you're ruining it for the music lovers.

and the equal sign bullshit is just another symbol of their supposed god-like stature, that iwe get shoved down our throats.
Please explain to me how this makes any sense whatsoever...
C. I tend to believe when they first started making money they thought it would be alright to take all their friends with them for the ride. Lotta people got on the job training by repeating the old process over and over again. That is the reason for incompetence, half these guys are just hanger ons, who the band can't let go due to a sense of loyalty. This is the reason we see the same of BS rehashed every tour. When you bring in new people, who have actually been trained then you have innovation. The present crew are still high on Zootv, but just like that voice..it's never coming back.
Too bad none of this is backed up by facts. Who are you talking about that isn't "trained" that's designing their tours? Where do you come up with this crap?
D. Sorta unrelated but while I'm at it, there is nothing more boring than going to a concert and knowing within 99.9% what the next song is going to be, without regaurd to the fact we're all heard them a million times before.

E. Casual fans do not get into concerts, casual fans are the because their rich owner uncles mentioned the could get tickets, so they went because they want on the bandwagon. IMO if you're only there to here SBS ans Streets, get the fuck out, you're ruining it for the music lovers.
Yeah this is bullshit. The majority at any paticular U2 show will only see one show per tour and most will not hang around online and look at setlists.

Your definition of "casual fan" is pretty off the mark. What you seem to be describing are the "I know 3 or 4 songs" type of fan. Casual fans go to concerts, they make up the majority of the audience. Casual fans may have every album, but they don't collect every b-side, they don't hang out in forums, or know every detail of this said band. But they like the music...

So you really may want to rethink some things, but it does put some of your previous posts in perspective...

I still say most people at U2 shows are by no means casual fans, I mean how would they even get the tickets? It's not like they drive by the arena and say oh wow U2 is playing tonight, i like them, lets get some tickets. Casual fans are dying off in every form of music, its just to expensive. Live music is as unpopular as it's ever been. When I'm at the 1 show i can afford to go to every tour, I see the diehards... These are the one's who hold sit down protests and would rather cry than suck it up and enjoy themselves, not realizing it's a business and no matter how cool a guy you think bono is, the guy signing his checks doesn't want to see a 2 second shot of a girl ugly as sin mouthing elevation, it's bad for business. You think the band never goes backstage during the encore and says "again with these same people in front every show, don't they have their own lives?...it's the same show every night. Point is, casual fans do not make it into U2 shows unless the know somebody, the tickets are too expensive and too hard to come by.

One of the versions on itunes is falling rapidly. It's down into the 80's. That makes me think it's been removed and is no longer available for download. The other one is still in the 30's.

I still say most people at U2 shows are by no means casual fans, I mean how would they even get the tickets? It's not like they drive by the arena and say oh wow U2 is playing tonight, i like them, lets get some tickets. Casual fans are dying off in every form of music, its just to expensive. Live music is as unpopular as it's ever been. When I'm at the 1 show i can afford to go to every tour, I see the diehards... These are the one's who hold sit down protests and would rather cry than suck it up and enjoy themselves, not realizing it's a business and no matter how cool a guy you think bono is, the guy signing his checks doesn't want to see a 2 second shot of a girl ugly as sin mouthing elevation, it's bad for business. You think the band never goes backstage during the encore and says "again with these same people in front every show, don't they have their own lives?...it's the same show every night. Point is, casual fans do not make it into U2 shows unless the know somebody, the tickets are too expensive and too hard to come by.

You truly do not know what you are talking about... Every U2 show I've gone to I'm surrounded by people who are seeing U2 for the first time, someone who sees U2 once every tour but have no prior knowledge to what they are about to see, or someone who just always wanted to see U2 at least once, etc...

If you think the only type of fans that go to U2 shows are the type that are in here then it would be SOOO easy to get tickets, but it's not...

What I tried to say is you need to be commited to get tickets to a U2 show, there's is nothing casual about that ordeal, its one of the hardest tickets to get. It's that level of commitment makes them more than a casual fan. I've been at 2 shows in 10 years, and I am way beyond a casual fan.

What I tried to say is you need to be commited to get tickets to a U2 show, there's is nothing casual about that ordeal, its one of the hardest tickets to get. It's that level of commitment makes them more than a casual fan. I've been at 2 shows in 10 years, and I am way beyond a casual fan.

Now, aren't you contradicting yourself a bit? You state it's very difficult to get U2 tickets (true), so only the committed will be there. And then you say you don't like casual fans at the concert. How's that possible if you've just stated that casual fans can't be at the concert since it's so difficult to get tickets?
:huh:

Back
Top Bottom