U2 to record their new album at Black Rock Studios in Santorini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't buy this story, by the way. no sources and U2 is already recording. they've said so themselves.

The location has hardly anything to do with being innovative or doing new things. It has to come from the inside. Otherwise the most amazing studio and most beautiful landscapes don't help at all.
Come on, I really don't buy this.

you're kidding right?

inspiration is inspiration... new places, new sights, new sounds, new air to breathe... all that can spark inspiration!

for instance, whenever i travel, go to a new place, get away from the usual humdrum, it takes me out of my comfort zone and it makes me write and write and write and write (lots of crap sure, but it still inspires me to write anyway lol)

Achtung Baby wouldn't have been Achtung Baby without Berlin! now that is certain!

Good post.

I'm a writer. I can tell you that the most beautiful cities and landscapes don't help if the inspiration doesn't come out of yourself. Imagination is the key, and you don't necessarily have to go anywhere, you can travel with your mind.

Something has to trigger that imagination. Your surroundings can be extremely limiting, especially if they look too familiar for a long period of time, into developing your ideas and establishing your creative ground. Try writing in the same claustrophobic room for 10 years and tell me you'd feel inspired in the same way for that time. It may work for you, but looking at the history of art, you belong in the far minority. This doesn't mean the mobility has to be as ambitious as the one U2 did, but a fresh change of pace even in a certain kind of personal microcosm is necessary in the reinvention and reinvigoration of the artist's work.

Most of U2's work, as has been mentioned here, including their latest album, has been directly inspired by places, landscapes, history, foreign cultures, even political climates... I'm positive that their best work would never be created if they played in the same rehearsal room in Mount Temple for 30 years.

I dunno, I think these plans will fall apart thusly:

:bono: The new album will be black atmospheric doom metal from Greece, promise.

:larry: Fuck yeah, bitches!!111

Jabba%2Bthe%2BHutt.jpg
Is there a market for this?

:bono: Markets have food, Paul. We can take you to one. Join us.

Jabba%2Bthe%2BHutt.jpg
That shall do, I suppose.

:adam: Where's Edge?

:bono: He's at home creating a black atmospheric doom metal pedal, with volcanic ash functionality.

Jabba%2Bthe%2BHutt.jpg
This sounds like a tour liability to me.

:bono: Fuck it. I have Shiny Happy Africans in my back pocket; it'll outsell Cyclopseus Part IV: Native Badass anyway.

:lmao:

g.o.l.d :up:

I hear the beer is pretty cheap on Santorini . . . that's a plus :wink:

I'm a writer. I can tell you that the most beautiful cities and landscapes don't help if the inspiration doesn't come out of yourself. Imagination is the key, and you don't necessarily have to go anywhere, you can travel with your mind.

Travelling is still important and a great thing to do. It can support the artistic process, but I don't believe it's a necessity. Sometimes it does bring out stuff that's inside of you, simply because you get a new perspective if you travel to another place.

i also write, for my living - you don't need to lecture me :)

true, i work from home, but really see a difference and thrive on new inspirations when i get a chance to go some place else... and these new life experiences nurture my imagination when i am home again... it's good to get out of the garret sometimes...

Something has to trigger that imagination. Your surroundings can be extremely limiting, especially if they look too familiar for a long period of time, into developing your ideas and establishing your creative ground. Try writing in the same claustrophobic room for 10 years and tell me you'd feel inspired in the same way for that time. It may work for you, but looking at the history of art, you belong in the far minority. This doesn't mean the mobility has to be as ambitious as the one U2 did, but a fresh change of pace even in a certain kind of personal microcosm is necessary in the reinvention and reinvigoration of the artist's work.

Most of U2's work, as has been mentioned here, including their latest album, has been directly inspired by places, landscapes, history, foreign cultures, even political climates... I'm positive that their best work would never be created if they played in the same rehearsal room in Mount Temple for 30 years.

:up:

Wouldn't it be facinating to find out exactly which U2 songs were inspired by what influences exactly? I think those influences are many and there isn't a right or wrong answer to that question. As with any art or artist you can be moved by many things and inspired by both the location of your present mind/mood but also your past experiences. That's only natural. Now the question I am curious about is, does U2 write record (final version) at said studio where the final versions are played or do they come to that studio with just sketches in their heads of songs and moods already?
I think the Fez sessions are an example of going somewhere deliberately with a brief idea of a song and then polishing and finishing it there based on the local color and culture.
IMO AB was different. In U2 by U2 and U2 At The End of the World, we know that they almost broke up because the tension for lack of inspiration and ideas, until ONE came along. Maybe ONE was the product of that stark reality of being in Berlin and then the rest of the album was born of that, so it's a complicated thing I suspect. :shrug:

I think this link is pretty much bogus, there's nothing in that story that makes it actually sound like they are even considering it.

Travelling is still important and a great thing to do. It can support the artistic process, but I don't believe it's a necessity. Sometimes it does bring out stuff that's inside of you, simply because you get a new perspective if you travel to another place.

:up:

Every writer is different, every musician is different, and the creative process can be different for different people.

Thanks! Take me, for instance.

My creative process involves a squirrel that whispers ideas to me while I sleep.

If every writer is different then every writer is the same.

:reject:

Not if their intricacies are immeasurable, including whatever standard is used to justify my last statement, and also whatever standard is used to justify my last statement, and also whatever standard is used to justify my last statement, ad infinitum. :D

chong1.jpg

I'm a writer of sorts, too, and I've often found that inspiration is best when human waste comes out of myself. It just seems to free my mind afterwards.

I don't think it's complicated. We know U2 are working on new material, right? They've said so themselves. they probably want to continue this work on the road.

the plan is likely to record in various studios over the next few months. It's supposedly a great studio, so while they're in Greece this September, why not pop in to work on some recordings?

I liked what this one guy said in the atu2 forum:

aurabender ugh, it could take them YEARS to record an album in such setting. It is far too posh, relaxed and has far too many distractions. They need to be rousted from there sleep in the middle of the night , blindfolded, placed into a van and driven to recording Studio somewhere in Brooklyn. One simple rule: one song completed = one meal.

:hmm:

Here's their first meal

http://www.u2.com/media/index/mediaplayer/mediaId/362/type/video/setId/18

If it's one song = one meal, I'm guessing McGuinne$$ will be pushing them to finally go for that double album we've always wondered about!.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom