U2 to Perform First Concerts at MSG Sphere in Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.u2songs.com/news/adam_discusses_las_vegas

Early in the conversation Adam spoke about Las Vegas, and said it was really his first opportunity to talk about the upcoming performances there since things have been announced. He said the band were playing these shows to take advantage of the technology in the Sphere venue, and not necessarily because they wanted to play Las Vegas itself.

Adam shared “We’re playing the Sphere, we’re not necessarily playing Las Vegas. And the technology of the sphere was something we really wanted to do. That’s why we’re excited about it, and we’re not going to Las Vegas to go out to pasture.”

He also spoke about Larry Mullen not being able to make the shows. “Larry has been managing some health issues since we finished the last show in 2019. So it was very much his decision to sit this out. He’s welcomed Bram in, as we have who will be the new drummer, kind of sitting in for him. We’re all very resolved and happy about this and excited about being able to do these Achtung Baby shows coming up.”

Adam said it will be particularly hard for him to not have Larry at the shows, “I’m a little bit nervous as well. I feel in our band, we’ve got two marriages, we got Edge and Bono, and Larry and myself. I very much see myself as the woman in the relationship. Larry is my husband, I think. It’s going to be tough settling in with someone new. We’ll do the best that we can.”

Just renewed my U2,com sub as it was to expire tomorrow. Let's see what presale group that stick me in assuming they ever officially announce the shows.

Just renewed my U2,com sub as it was to expire tomorrow. Let's see what presale group that stick me in assuming they ever officially announce the shows.

There’s some rumors on Reddit about venue delays affecting show dates as the reason for the lack of specific details thus far. BIG grain of salt and all that, but if we don’t hear something around 3/17, I would be inclined to believe it.

well - they shit canned the guy in charge of the project 3 days after the super bowl.

that kinda tells you that there might be a delay or two.

my thoughts are that they are still aiming for September and doing everything in their power to make sure those dates happen - but also don't want to be in a situation where they have to delay events that have already gone on sale. they being MSG.

they also have the F1 race in mid November which would cause some major obstacles... as all roads leading to and from The Sphere will be used as part of the F1 track (not to mention some absolutely obscene hotel prices for that weekend).

Thanksgiving weekend isn't a great idea either when you consider that the majority of people coming to the shows will have to travel.

good news for everyone is that if some of the dates do end up spilling into December is that December is by far the cheapest month in Vegas as far as hotels go (exception being New Year's Eve).

so yea - my guess is that they're still aiming for mid/late september, but making plans in case of further supply chain related delays to construction.

so i've seen the idea that they're going to hold shows the weekend of the F1 race a few times now - including from a source i trust.

While anything is possible - i just don't see how it's feasible from a logistical standpoint, and here's why.

image.jpg

staticImage

the track literally circles the venue, and they are planning on having grandstands set up around the venue.

that means no car access - whether that's for parking (which is already limited) or for ubers/taxis. the major mass transit on the strip is the bus the Deuce bus - which won't be running that weekend because, again, the Strip is the track.

so i thought to myself - self - if the race is mid afternoon they could certainly have the place cleared out in time for an 8 pm concert.

welp - no.

here's the local time schedule for F1 week

Thursday November 16 - Practice 1 - 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Friday November 17 - Practice 2 - Midnight to 1 AM
Friday November 17 - Practice 3 - 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Saturday November 18 - Qualifying - Midnight to 1 AM
Saturday November 18 - Race - 10 PM to midnight

just seems like an absolute logistical nightmare... and that's not even discussing the hotel costs for that weekend, which are already astronomical (think $1k per night for mid tier hotels)

there's also this, from the LVRJ

Hill also noted that temporary grandstands would be constructed at various resorts on the route, offering prime viewing spots. The pedestrian bridges on Las Vegas Boulevard will not be used as spectator areas.

“Those pedestrian areas will be closed, so that nothing can accidentally spill out onto the track,” Hill said. “From a safety standpoint… you won’t be able to stand on the pedestrian bridges and actually watch the race.”

the pedestrian bridges across The Strip will be closed during the race - basically isolating people to one side of the strip or the other for a few hours (or making them walk a huge distance to go up and around.

again - anything is possible - but man, it would be a really bad idea and i would be shocked if it happens.

Last edited:
anything is possible - but man, it would be a really bad idea and i would be shocked if it happens.

Tempting to make a U2’s management “hold my beer” comment, but this is really about the MSG Company. Dolan is dealing with challenges but doesn’t want a clusterfuck on his hands and trying to sell in a big show with those physical access issues is almost guaranteeing one. And that’s putting aside the guaranteed uproar over hotel costs for that wknd from the public. Strikes me as easier to hold off.

From the U2 side, I suppose the question is: will delays massively impact any planned recording and a potential larger tour 7+ months out? If anything, I’d call it early rehearsals. I know They’re Lazy, but then mobile studio approach they were occasionally utilizing during I+e and JT30 tours could help. Bono loves to talk about how good the band is when they’re playing live. The rust would be off, except for Lawrence. That is, if they actually have any recording left to do.

let's just say for a second that they have to hold off on holding shows until November.

okay, fine. i still think the goal is to stick with the late september start - but MSG doesn't want egg on their face from putting a 9/29 show on sale and then having to back out.

if they're still looking at 12 shows...

November 3/4 open
November 10/11

December 1/2
December 8/9
December 15/16
December 22/23

easily doable, and without getting in the way of any 2024 plans. maybe they swap out the 12/22,23 dates with 11/25,26 - Black Friday. maybe not.

11/25 is my birthday... so that would be incredibly tempting. it's also the day after thanksgiving - so leaving to go by myself to vegas thanksgiving evening would add to the costs of the show, as divorce lawyers tend to be pricy.

They could go with that above schedule and close with New Year’s shows before going to dream it all up again one more time…

Adam has always been the most gender fluid member of U2. And these days the most sane.

So I’m trying to figure out how to read his comments in the most uncharitable, cynical, bad-faith way possible so I can still be outraged about NO LARRY.

Adam has always been the most gender fluid member of U2. And these days the most sane.

So I’m trying to figure out how to read his comments in the most uncharitable, cynical, bad-faith way possible so I can still be outraged about NO LARRY.

You could always just go with blind, emotional detachment? I’m sure there will be plenty of people who read that and their response will be:

“It’s just not U2 without Larry”

They are clever those people. You can’t argue against emotions or feelings, but then the twist on you and present them as counter to facts. That’s where they get ya.

I can’t BELIEVE Adam sees the band as two different sets of relationships instead of all four of them together. U2 is and always has been about the four of them, TOGETHER. It’s a sad state of affairs when U2 isn’t even U2 anymore to one of the members of U2! Enjoy the sellout, rubes.

My favorite Paul McGuinness story was when I went to the Vertigo Tour in Jersey with Tony from unforgettable fire. Tony has met Paul in the parking lot in Philly a few days earlier and Paul recognized him on the floor.

He was clearly drunk, pulled out some wristbands, gave one to each of us and said "go into the heart" as if it was still elevation.

Problem was they were the wrong wristbands. We tried telling the usher/security that Paul McGuinness gave then to us. He laughed at us and told us to get lost.

Will they play the album in order like they did on Joshua Tree Tour?

My guess is no and that technology will be a lot more in focus for this tour.

This could go a few different ways, right? And we have no idea how long of a show they’re planning (their usually 2:20ish vs a more Vegas-y 90 mins). AB itself is 55 mins.

1. Album in sequence plus 30 min encore
2. JT30 approach: late 80s hits, Album in sequence, 2000s hits
3. Another “history of U2” narrative show that weaves in AB songs among their other stuff
4. balls-out ZooTV sequel
- all of the above include Larry in a Lou Reed Satellite of Love-esque appearance

This could go a few different ways, right? And we have no idea how long of a show they’re planning (their usually 2:20ish vs a more Vegas-y 90 mins). AB itself is 55 mins.

1. Album in sequence plus 30 min encore
2. JT30 approach: late 80s hits, Album in sequence, 2000s hits
3. Another “history of U2” narrative show that weaves in AB songs among their other stuff
4. balls-out ZooTV sequel
- all of the above include Larry in a Lou Reed Satellite of Love-esque appearance

Could go any way you mentioned or something else we can't come up with now.

I think the variables are greater here than pretty much any other pre tour set list speculation.

The big ones being:

1) What songs/eras are going to be easiset for Bram to pick up? Anyone have any insight?

2) The venue and production itself.

I've thought of AB/Zoo TV part 2 for a while now and always envisioned something along these lines:

Pre-AB

1)Desire
2)I Will Follow
3)New Year's Day
4)Redemption song (snippet)/Sunday Bloody Sunday
5) All I Want Is You/Love Rescue Me (snippet)

Achtung Baby
6-18

Play it right in order. It was hard to separate the JT deep cuts and iconic live songs from their slots in 1987, but it worked in order on JT 30. Don't see how AB wouldn't.

Mix and match of live staples and hits

19)Bullet the blue sky
20)Running to standstill
21)Streets
22)Pride
23)City of Blinding Lights
24)Beautiful Day
25)With or Without You
26)Bad/40

Something new or SOI/SOE era tossed into the opening and closing sets here and there, I'd imagine.

Redemption song snippet is a call back to the original Zoo Tv.

As is the run of Bullet-RTSS-Streets-Pride.

The ending is a call back to some of the strongest SOI shows in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom