U2 to Fine-Tune Tour in Toronto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dismantle

Babyface
U2 to Fine-Tune Tour in Toronto
By JOE WARMINGTON - Toronto Sun

TORONTO - Sometimes the world moves in Mysterious Ways

After a summer of the Rolling Stones hanging around in Toronto and rehearsing, it turns out with some Pride, In the Name of Love the legendary Irish quartet U2 will follow suit and spend some quality time in the Big (Gun) Smoke.

Scheduled to play at the Air Canada Centre Sept. 12, 14, 16, 17, my insiders tell me Bono and the boys will actually have The Hangar Sept. 9, 10 and 11 for rehearsal time to make the adjustments for the North American leg of their giant-sized Vertigo tour.

So this means U2 will own the Bay St. Box for nine days in September -- which will be the longest homestand down there in a long time. It should be a Beautiful Day for Bono, who has starred on the ACC stage before. Remember the 2003 Liberal leadership convention when he was invited to speak at Prime Minister Paul Martin's acceptance? Wonder if Bono will extend the courtesy to the PM? Can you imagine the PM up there groovin' with the boys? That would put a whole new meaning to Getting Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of. It will be great, with or without him.

I'm guessing a few new songs will make there way for the 3rd leg. I really doubt they need to rehearse Vertigo anymore :wink:

zoopop said:
I'm guessing a few new songs will make there way for the 3rd leg. I really doubt they need to rehearse Vertigo anymore :wink:
Hmmm... They had a week in Belgium for the second leg, and not that many new songs rolled out... Don't know what to expect...

This leg there will be many setlist changes. The european tour was primarily 1 night stands in each city, thus no need for multiple setlists.

This leg will see multiple dates at almost every stop, thus making the song catalog will grow. Hopefully Crumbs and A man and a woman will make their debut.

Dr_Macphisto said:
This leg there will be many setlist changes. The european tour was primarily 1 night stands in each city, thus no need for multiple setlists.

This leg will see multiple dates at almost every stop, thus making the song catalog will grow. Hopefully Crumbs and A man and a woman will make their debut.
Hmmm wouldn't like to hear A Man And A Woman at all really... Certainly when a song like Miracle Drug would have to leave the setlist...

Crumbs would be great though.. Infact; I think they need the 3 days to rehearse Crumbs and the final live version of Original Of The Species (hopefully like the Amsterdam 3 version)...

Don't expect too much... You'll only get disappointed :wink:

Sure there will be more setlist changes, but nog so much new songs... Most likely only Crumbs and OOTS

Last edited:
Dr_Macphisto said:

Yeah, thats a very solid and valid point. They have what 4 nights in Toronto and 5 nights in New York. Bono better start memorizing lyrics :wink:

Blue Room said:
They will probebly only rehearse for 2 days. The first day will be load out, set up and testing most likely.
3 nights reheasing = 3 nights rehearsing... 3 shows nights = 3 shownights...

Why mention 3 days for reheasing when a full day get's blown by stage building and load outs? This normally even takes longer than a full day's work...

Last edited:
Neilz said:

3 nights reheasing = 3 nights rehearsing... 3 shows nights = 3 shownights...

Why mention 3 days for reheasing when a full day get's blown by stage building and load outs? This normally even takes longer than a full day's work...

Read the article again, it says they have the venue booked for that whole time, they are assuming they will rehearse the whole time. Doesnt mean they will. I doubt the first day will be much of anything in the way of rehearsal, they may show up and run through a few things. But most likely the other two days will be where they do the bulk of rehearsal.

You also have to remember they are setting up a stage they have not set up in 3 months, they will leave a little extra time over the normal load in for that as well. Wont take all day, but it will take a large chunk of it.

Last edited:
I'd assume they'd rehearse a little more over the break than just a couple of days.

Also, it's pretty safe to expect that the first couple of shows will feature fairly standard sets. U2 will do their traditional evaluation after those and have time to continue to rehearse any new tunes they plan on debuting at later shows where the setlist will be more shaken up.

I heard that on Q107 as well!!
does anyone have an idea where the hangar is?
I've heard the guys stay at four seasons on avenue and bloor!!
can't wait! I'm going to the 12nd and 17th shows!

Do you think that maybe it won't be three days needed for rehearsing (since they've had plenty of practice over the last few months)?

Perhaps they need three days to set up a new stage arrangement. The European leg stage was much different than Leg 1 (granted Europe was stadiums). Could it be that we'll be seeing something new concerning the stage? I really don't think they need three days of rehearsal of songs.

marcou2 said:
I heard that on Q107 as well!!
does anyone have an idea where the hangar is?
I've heard the guys stay at four seasons on avenue and bloor!!
can't wait! I'm going to the 12nd and 17th shows!

The hangar = ACC.

And the last couple of times they were here, they did not stay at the Four Seasons.

Knuckle said:
Do you think that maybe it won't be three days needed for rehearsing (since they've had plenty of practice over the last few months)?

Perhaps they need three days to set up a new stage arrangement. The European leg stage was much different than Leg 1 (granted Europe was stadiums). Could it be that we'll be seeing something new concerning the stage? I really don't think they need three days of rehearsal of songs.

No, it will be the same stage.

Apparently Bono went afternoon bowling with a couple girls he met a restaurant the last time he was in Toronto in 2001. Yes, the same week his son was born....

It was covered by some papparazzi somewhere.

u2fp

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom