U2 on SNL Season premiere?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cut off before getting to hear the 'Ultraviolet' refrain? :sad:

MOS and UV were surprising, but I suppose like someone said earlier, the jacket should have been a tip-off.

SNL sucks. They give us this crap show with three good U2 performances and then cut off the super epic UV performance that was cooler than the entirety of the skits tonight.

Even Andy Samberg's skit was mediocre.

In other news, I'm pretty sure U2 took 15+ minutes of the show... at least 1/4 of air time.

U2 Live featuring SNL. Hell yeah.

Overall - I applaud the song choice, although I would have substituted "Magnificent" for "Breathe". Bono's voice wasn't there and he definitely had some lyrical blunders. But I still enjoy seeing them.

Still, I'll remember this episode for the AWKWARD f-bomb.

CT getting skipped kind of shows just how screwed up the promotion machine has been for these singles.

Major props to U2 tonight. No band does what they just did on SNL. A nearly 20 year old album track that has never been played on television before and likely never will be again, a 7 minute track from the new album, NO singles? Well done.

^Wow...people move fast!

Why were u guys so suprised they played UV? I knew the second he walked out in that jacket they were gunna play it...

guys, I work in television production and I can assure you that networks like NBC have to adhere to strict programming schedules. the people at SNL can't just ask for more time in their show, even if it is at 1:00 am. the band was clearly playing the show off, it was bound to get cutoff. maybe, if we're lucky, SNL will post the full performance without credits on their website.

anyway, they sounded great! I wasn't thrilled about MOS, but breathe was the best I've heard it yet. and yay for ultraviolet, very unexpected!!!! :up:

Major props to U2 tonight. No band does what they just did on SNL. A nearly 20 year old album track that has never been played on television before and likely never will be again, a 7 minute track from the new album, NO singles? Well done.

:up:

U2's SNL setlist was a major FTW moment. They chose the songs they're feeling the most right now.:heart:

I'm feeling them too.

Is it too much to ask to cut literally two minutes out of the rest of the show (better yet, eliminate one the sketches altogether) so we can see U2 finish the song they started performing on the air?? Utterly ridiculous. Also, it's insulting to the band to roll the credits over them, as if they're a fucking house band.

I hate SNL, seriously. I watched the whole show tonight and laughed once, maybe twice. Overall this was probably the worst episode I've ever seen (and it was the season premiere, they had months to prepare!). I was actually surprised at how unfunny it was. I can honestly say that I will never watch this shitty show again (unless U2 is on again).

Also, like a couple other people mentioned, why the hell do they refuse to show the audience during the performances, especially when Bono's got them worked into a frenzy? Absolutely terrible camerawork.

Damn. Even though I figured they would perform at the end and get cut off, I'm still really pissed. Fuck this show.

God, SNL blows these days. :yuck: Anyhoo, the guys sounded great - I just wish NBC hadn't cut away before the end of UV... I mean, really! So disrespectful. :madwife:

:lol:

i totally agree with you. Definitely not down the beaten path....i wonder what song(s) if any they continued to play for the audience after the taping stopped?

Great performances though, even UV did get cut off.

guys, I work in television production and I can assure you that networks like NBC have to adhere to strict programming schedules. the people at SNL can't just ask for more time in their show, even if it is at 1:00 am. the band was clearly playing the show off, it was bound to get cutoff. :

then they probably should have killed the last pathetically unfunny skit so that they didn't have to cut off the best frecking thing about the entire show.

I work for an NBC station. The show ends when the show ends. There is a set out time. It can not go beyond that point no matter what band is playing.

As for the song selection ... very interesting. Since "Crazy Tonight" was not a part of the setlist, it seems they probably at this point have given up on it being a major hit. It seems the setlist was more directed at winning the Grammy for best album of the year. Despite the lyrics flub, MOS was great! I wish Magnificent had replaced Breathe. And it's great to see Ultraviolet finally getting its due. A true gem that many of the casual fans don't know about. All in all.. a solid night!

Is it too much to ask to cut literally two minutes out of the rest of the show (better yet, eliminate one the sketches altogether) so we can see U2 finish the song they started performing on the air?? Utterly ridiculous. Also, it's insulting to the band to roll the credits over them, as if they're a fucking house band.

I hate SNL, seriously. I watched the whole show tonight and laughed once, maybe twice. Overall this was probably the worst episode I've ever seen (and it was the season premiere, they had months to prepare!). I was actually surprised at how unfunny it was. I can honestly say that I will never watch this shitty show again (unless U2 is on again).

Also, like a couple other people mentioned, why the hell do they refuse to show the audience during the performances, especially when Bono's got them worked into a frenzy? Absolutely terrible camerawork.

Damn. Even though I figured they would perform at the end and get cut off, I'm still really pissed. Fuck this show.

Ditto.

Hopefully there will be an epic performance of Ultraviolet on the inevitable U2 360 tour DVD.

Also, it just struck me that Bono was on SNL but it was someone else that dropped the F-bomb! Who'da thunk it? :lol:

Very cool! Unexpected UV!:hyper: I missed the whole F word thing, but I recorded it so I can go back and watch again. I really liked Breathe and UV rocked until it got cut. I saw Edge's Fernandes sitting on the stand so that was an indication that UV might be in the set. Yeah tonight's SNL sucked!:barf: The only thing that was funny was that DVD showing all the "moves".:lol: Bono rapping over MOS, terrible.:doh: Just don't sing and let the beauty of the song takeover. Stop trying to be a rapper and just be Bono! Other than that, not bad. His voice better get into shape though.

As I said in the other thread... if anyone had told me a year ago that, in a year, U2 would have played Ultraviolet on SNL, I would have never believed them.

Tonight was truly amazing. Breathe + MOS + Ultraviolet... the last two are not television material, and they were brilliant. Tonight, they owned the show... they ripped it to shreds like they did when they played Please at the MTV VMAs twelve years ago.

I love this band.

Back
Top Bottom