U2 Live on SNL Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was lucky enough to attend the taping of the show in person. "All Because of You" was simply amazing, with Edge's guitar BLISTERING the roof off the place. The entire audience was on their feet, clapping and dancing along, while the show's cast members jumped around onstage. After they finished that one, Bono said "You want one more?" and they tore into "Vertigo" one more time, this one sounding a lot better than the first one that they played on the air. Bono seemed to be in great spirits and went into full Lizard-King mode, writhing around on the floor and striking all kinds of great rock-star poses. The sound in the studio was VASTLY superior to what you heard over your TV set. Judging from tonight's set, this tour is going to be one for the history books.

Forgot to mention: During the commercial break before they played SYCMIOYO, Bono told the audience the history behind the song and how he had written it for his father and performed it at his funeral, then apologized in advance for the raspiness of his voice, blaming it on "20 Marlboros" he had smoked earlier in the day, along with a "funny Clinton cigar" he had smoked in Arkansas.

Rusty James said:
Forgot to mention: During the commercial break before they played SYCMIOYO, Bono told the audience the history behind the song and how he had written it for his father and performed it at his funeral,

No wonder the audience didn't make a peep after the song ended. They were stunend weren't there?

U2 are truly the rock juggernaut. Bono's voice was perfect. Larry's drums on Vertigo rocked. I was speechless after SYCMIOYO. Unbelievable performance. They owned NBC and SNL with that show....damn their good.

Rusty James said:
I was lucky enough to attend the taping of the show in person. "All Because of You" was simply amazing, with Edge's guitar BLISTERING the roof off the place. The entire audience was on their feet, clapping and dancing along, while the show's cast members jumped around onstage. After they finished that one, Bono said "You want one more?" and they tore into "Vertigo" one more time, this one sounding a lot better than the first one that they played on the air. Bono seemed to be in great spirits and went into full Lizard-King mode, writhing around on the floor and striking all kinds of great rock-star poses. The sound in the studio was VASTLY superior to what you heard over your TV set. Judging from tonight's set, this tour is going to be one for the history books.

Did they still play a song after Vertigo?

Cheers,

J

Rusty James said:
Forgot to mention: During the commercial break before they played SYCMIOYO, Bono told the audience the history behind the song and how he had written it for his father and performed it at his funeral, then apologized in advance for the raspiness of his voice, blaming it on "20 Marlboros" he had smoked earlier in the day, along with a "funny Clinton cigar" he had smoked in Arkansas.

I am so jealous of you :) That's awesome though!

It really kills me to hear Bono talking about smoking so heavily. I can understand a smoke here and there, but 20 a day is ridiculous. I hope he was exaggerating or something. He sounded awesome, but I worry about his overall health.

I thought Bono gave up smoking? Pshaw, how naive I am.

I thought it absolutely adorable how Edge hit that sour note in "I Will Follow," they both laughed, and Bono said, "I'll follow you anyway." Kinda hard to have that kind of spontaneity with a vocal track isn't it ASHLEE??!!!

RademR said:
Vertigo = started rough, Bono seemed uncomfortable
Sometimes = absoluetely amazing, what a great effort by Bono, he was near perfect, and the music by the band brought it to life more than the amazing album version
I Will Follow = the greatest band ever, did you see Bono? The SNL crew were like groupies. The crowd gave them a standing ovation.

My thoughts exactly RademR. The band sounded great on Vertigo (even Bono) but Bono looked uncomfortable on the stage.

SYCMIOYO was great and I will Follow was blistering - a sexually harrassed fan and crying cast members. How cool is that?

If that's how Bono sounded after 20 cigarettes and a cigar, then smoke more! LOL! He sounded great to my ears - far better than he did for the PopMart and Elevation shows and definitely better than the last time U2 were on SNL (in 2000).

Also, I felt "Vertigo" sounded just great. However, if you feel it was a bit slow, I can understand - I felt "Beautiful Day" was slow in 2000 on SNL as well. U2 seemed to kick in gear with the latter songs on each show. This isn't a bad thing - better to start strong, but not brilliant, then build and end with a bang.

The boys kicked ass last night!! In my opinion, that was the best performance on SNL since pearl jam in April '94 when eddie vedder gave a moving tribute to Kurt Cobain....I think Bono did seem initially uncomfortable at the start, but at the end of Vertigo it seemed like he was just warming up and wanted to keep singing! For a passionate band like u2, I think it must be a kind of sexual frustration to deliver songs on tv in segments between commercials....they more than made up for it at the end!! :wink:

Last edited:
Mark Freedman said:
Just one more thing...that last line in Sometimes that Bono sang... "I don't want you back."

Speaks volumes.
That last bit was from Tom Rush's song "No Regrets" - great, great song: "No regrets, no tears goodbye
Don't want you back, we'd only cry, again
Say goodbye, again"

Worked so well in this context. AMAZING performance!! I can't wait for the tour.

Vertigo – I loved it! Larry was showing how you play HARD ROCK hitting those drums as hard as he could, the man was kicking major ass on all the songs, a real highlight for me seeing him play like that. It even feels like he was a bit too fast on the very beginning and I fucking love that. I wish Adam had moved a bit more, that was unusual for him. I guess he was a bit tired yesterday night or something. Edge’s guitar sounds very evil!!! I so musch wish the Bono had singed that “FEEL” part like that on the studio version! I liked Bono’s goofy walk in the end, he’s got Vertigo there! :wink:

Sometimes You Can’t make It On Your Own – Powerful I guess is the word here! Great performance form the whole band, especially Bono’s soulful and amazing singing and Larry’s awesome drum playing!! You could totally see Edge’s new invention on his finger and he did a great job adapting the many guitar layers from the album to the live version of the song and it sounded perfect. I also REALLY like Adam’s bass on that song, it really gives it a stadium feel to it. :yes:

I Will Follow – Great surprise and awesome performance! I think that girl liked to be harassed by Bono! :lol: “Ill follow you anyway, Edge” is a great line? :wink:

Overall: Fucking 10 out of 10. I guess SNL redeemed themselves after Ashley thanks to the one and only U2!! I think this performance will bring lots of folks to the tour!!! :up:

I can't believe I forgot they were on and only caught the very end where they played "I will Follow" which was a big treat for me! I LOVE the old stuff (my era of U2)
Bono was AWESOME! He is a true Live Entertainer!
That WAS the best SNL music performance ever!
BTW, did he put in different words for "I will Follow"? It sounded like he was trying to tell us someting. maybe it was my imagination. anyway, he is always changing the words in his songs (live) if you noticed.

macphister said:
Anyone remember any other SNL musical guest playing 3+ songs?
I know Pearl Jam played 3 songs in April of 1994...I imagine there have been a few others, but don't watch the show unless there's a musical guest worth seeing on cause the skits have been crap for years. I assume Lorne Michaels is smart enough to realize his audience last night was tuning in almost exclusively to see U2 so they got 3 slots.
Though I did laugh at the Falconer skit when Donald the Falcon and Clancy the dog were at the state fair.
Though the biggest laugh of the night came when Edge realized he was on a leash during I Will Follow...he's used to raoming around untethered and suddenly came to the end of his cord and was like whoops, step bnack.

I'm biased, but that performance of Vertigo was the most stunning presentation a band has ever done on SNL. Probably #2 to Sinead O'Connor's Pope ripping. It was so captivating, so magnetic, and yet so unbelievably powerful.

Sometimes was awesome too. I was worried how the falsettos were going to come across live. The first one had Edge too loud, but then they fixed that.

These guys were born live players.

Brilliant sheer brilliance!!!! The boys play rock n roll and this they know!!!! I cried tears of joy and will flood the stadium/arean when I see them!!!

Back
Top Bottom