U2 interview on Pitchfork.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is like, seriously, one of the worst interviews i've ever seen. from both the interviewer and the subject. this is how not to do an interview. as a journalism student i'll be bookmarking this as an example of shitness.

doubt it... why would they even bother doing the interview if they werent comfortable with pitchfork and their opinions?
Publicity. Many bands would do 0 interviews if they weren't required to promote their records to generate additional sales.

The awkwardness and the silence make this one of the best U2 interviews of recent memory :lol: It gets tiring seeing interviewer after interviewer sucking off Bono and co. over and over, tbh.

I think Bono's story about not trying to sound
"cool" when he sings was a perfect way of answering the band's indie critics without appearing defensive. Quite eloquent, really. As well as the way he talked about taking music as seriously as some of Pitchfork's indie snob writers and fans.

I'm sure they didn't convert anyone with that interview, but I can't imagine someone coming away with their anti-U2 feelings validated.

I think Bono's story about not trying to sound
"cool" when he sings was a perfect way of answering the band's indie critics without appearing defensive. Quite eloquent, really. As well as the way he talked about taking music as seriously as some of Pitchfork's indie snob writers and fans.

I'm sure they didn't convert anyone with that interview, but I can't imagine someone coming away with their anti-U2 feelings validated.

:up:

When I watched this today, I kept waiting for Larry to come in and say "listen you pretentious wankers", but that didn't happen. Bono is way to diplomatic. Adam should have brought them to task on their snarky comments. Edge was Edge.
This was clearly a moment missed for Larry. What were they trying to achieve here? :down:
They don't have to suck up to fucking Pitchfork. They're fucking U2.
I don't get it.:shrug:

Edited: just saw you're post lazarus. :up:

I love the look on the interviewers face after Adam totally give some vague, generic answer to the question about Lanois/Eno and the recording process.

:doh:

Agree that Bono was pure class at the end of Part 2. It's really an amazing thing about U2 that they would even agree to such an interview (filmed, no less), knowing very well that a publication like Pitchfork doesn't like the kind of thing they do well (larger than life, music for the people, basically). Even more amazing than the fact that they agreed to it is the fact that they took it seriously and obviously made an effort to connect with the 'Pitchfork-type' fan.

The lack of ego amongst U2 is amazing. This is one reason why Oasis have been forgotten for 12 years while U2 are still the biggest thing going. (Imagine Noel Gallagher after seeing his albums mercilessly slammed by Pitchfork -- "F***! We're better than the Beatles so we're going to go only where the media kiss our asses -- the three publications left in England that still like us!")

I've noticed a curious thing about Adam Clayton (besides the fact that, as Edge has pointed out, he often comes across as an old British woman when speaking): in U2 By U2, or in random interviews I've read, his comments are insightful and eloquent. In the U2 By U2 book, for example, I thought his comments were by far the most interesting (albeit the shortest), and Bono's the more boring, inflated, and cliche-ridden. But on camera, Adam's commentary always becomes dull, listless, and redundant.

Maybe he's just camera-shy?

I actually quite like the Pitchfork site -- some of you should check it out. From the main page, you can access their lists of the "Top Albums of All-time" , etc., which are pretty good. Their Top 100 albums of the 80s has only one by U2 (JT), and their top 100 albums of the 90s has none!

(Just noting that some of you seem to know about nothing but U2.)

No, Pitchfork only thinks you're cool if you're "underground", plain and simple. They are THE most transparent magazine out there.

No. Wanna hear some of the artists they gave top song spots to? Lil Wayne, Pink, Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, Young Jeezy, Kanye West, Usher, Annie, T.I., Big Boi, Beyonce, David Byrne, Estelle, Groove Armada, Mianda Lambert, 50 Cent, Amy Winehouse, Snoop Dogg, Outkast, The White Stripes, R. Kelley, Lil Mama, Jay-Z, M.I.A. and more (many of them listed more than once) plus a bunch of other less popular bands that have been getting crazy good recognition even of they're not on the top 40.

No. Wanna hear some of the artists they gave top song spots to? Lil Wayne, Pink, Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, Young Jeezy, Kanye West, Usher, Annie, T.I., Big Boi, Beyonce, David Byrne, Estelle, Groove Armada, Mianda Lambert, 50 Cent, Amy Winehouse, Snoop Dogg, Outkast, The White Stripes, R. Kelley, Lil Mama, Jay-Z, M.I.A. and more (many of them listed more than once) plus a bunch of other less popular bands that have been getting crazy good recognition even of they're not on the top 40.

Oh god. :doh:

To summarise, Pitchfork = Fail. Does anyone actually like them?

I was just about to post that this was a big waste of 13 minutes, but the end was fantastic. I was all ready to get embarrassed, but you could finally get the sense that Bono was speaking from the heart and passionate about what he was saying. And I love that U2 won't just write off their critics. They take the criticism seriously and attempt to address it fairly. And Edge's bit at the end was hilarious. Love that guy.

I couldn't careless what that site or anyone on there thinks, mainly because a lot of the albums I have seen highly recommended on that site right now, are completely overrated and nothing special at all, apart from the odd exception. None of them come anywhere near NLOTH, i guess I am not a fan of underground indie music or Pitchfork:)

I liked how Bono strategically extended to hand to Pitchfork's readers without having to directly criticize its writers or editors for the 4.2 bash they recently received. He was basically saying that U2 loves fans of music, nomatter where they go to look for it, but won't acknowledge the naysayers in charge.

It wasn't that bad. There's always been a "pfork" hovering around whatever art scene. Snobs, purists, cool kids, whatever. U2 don't need to be helped across the street like a little old lady.

Truth be told, we have quite a few honorary pitchforkers here. Only instead of creaming over the obscure indie band of the week, it's all about "Mercy" or some super obscure remix.

And I couldn't help but notice that the ridiculed list of top songs listed above was largely by black artists. That was awkward.

great bit from Bono at the end :up: otherwise mediocre interview though I have to say I love it whenever Adam talks

instead of creaming over the obscure indie band of the week

have you been to B&C...? :wink:

it's all about "Mercy" or some super obscure remix/

Does loving Mercy make me a "pitchforker?" It's in my top ten songs, but so is BD and Streets. it's just what I like, has nothing to do with attempting to be underground

Actually I would love to see an interview, ANY interview with Bono where he does not reference: The Beatles, Bob Marley, Lou Reed, The Clash, or Bob Dylan. Its that kind of crap that makes you old :reject:

He does it so much it could be a drinking game.

*partygirl43 runs from room*

great bit from Bono at the end :up: otherwise mediocre interview though I have to say I love it whenever Adam talks

Does loving Mercy make me a "pitchforker?" It's in my top ten songs, but so is BD and Streets. it's just what I like, has nothing to do with attempting to be underground

Adam should do books on tape. I could listen to hiim read the phone book.

I'm not criticizing your love of Mercy - just a comment on taste is all.

What's B&C?

Adam should do books on tape. I could listen to hiim read the phone book.

I'm not criticizing your love of Mercy - just a comment on taste is all.

What's B&C?

maybe the next album will be a spoken word album :drool:

B&C is short for Just the Bang and the Clatter, which is the music forum here. It's basically a shrine to Radiohead and indietastic acts. The love of indie does kind of amuse me since U2 is about as non-indie as it gets, but the nice thing about this forum is people have really diverse tastes :up:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom