[U2.com] In London, Shooting A Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't say the opinion of the album's producer is irrelevant.

To be honest, I don't think anyone's opinion is more or less relevant. The ones who should decide are the band who make the record.

To be honest, I don't think anyone's opinion is more or less relevant. The ones who should decide are the band who make the record.

The ones that decide if it is any good are the people who buy it and/or listen to it. Only that IS relevant. A band may think they have created a masterpiece unmatched. Yet if everyone think it sucks, what do you do? Keep insisting that this record is a masterpiece? :shrug:

Eno's opinions of his work with U2= irrelevent.

We decide.

Put out the fucking record.
if with "we" you refer to the people posting on this forum then I'd rather have a group of wild monkeys decide
if there's actually any difference

I've seen this forum put forward that:
- band's opinion = irrelevant
- producer's opinion = irrelevant
- grammies = irrelevant
- album sales = irrelevant

who made us the all knowing guru of music though?

I wouldn't say the opinion of the album's producer is irrelevant.

I think the critics decide. And how well the album stands the test of time.

The ones that decide if it is any good are the people who buy it and/or listen to it. Only that IS relevant. A band may think they have created a masterpiece unmatched. Yet if everyone think it sucks, what do you do? Keep insisting that this record is a masterpiece? :shrug:

I think the possibility of everyone thinking an album is bad while the band is the only one thinking it's good is VERY small.

First and foremost, the band has to think it's great, otherwise they don't need to put anything out. It's their work. And the producers and people who worked on it also have to like it.

It's all subjective, as we know from all the discussion in this forum.

if with "we" you refer to the people posting on this forum then I'd rather have a group of wild monkeys decide
if there's actually any difference

I've seen this forum put forward that:
- band's opinion = irrelevant
- producer's opinion = irrelevant
- grammies = irrelevant
- album sales = irrelevant

who made us the all knowing guru of music though?

If with "Us" you refer to people comparing musicloving people and skilled musicians to wild monkeys than I rather be "we".

*Band's opnion=irrelevant. You like what you make otherwise you wouldnt be making it.
*producer's opinion = irrelevant. Like Brian(God bless him) Eno would say:"My God, the last record I recorded with U2 sucks BIG time!"
*grammies = irrelevant. Multiply that 3 billion time and you have my opinion of the grammies
*Album sales= irrelevant. Atomic Kitten better than let's say: Tom Waits??

:wave:

WE are better than the US anyway :wink:

*Band's opnion=irrelevant. You like what you make otherwise you wouldnt be making it.

I would think that their opinion IS relevant, because I don't think they'd put an album out if they didn't like it. They have to like the result of their work, not only the idea of working and making a new album. So for the sake of all of "us", the band better like their baby and put it out for us to see and hear ASAP.

I would think that their opinion IS relevant, because I don't think they'd put an album out if they didn't like it. They have to like the result of their work, not only the idea of working and making a new album. So for the sake of all of "us", the band better like their baby and put it out for us to see and hear ASAP.

off course they have to like it, but to give you an example. I had this song I wrote which I thought was FANTASTIC! I was the only one that liked it actually haha so my opinion was irrelevant :)

but you're right about the fact that us wants this album asap and I think I wont be dissapointed this time. I have that certain feeling like I had with AB for some reason. Man I wish I could go back to the day I heared Zoostation for the first time and thought What the hell isthis and then just being completely stunned by such coolness!

If with "Us" you refer to people comparing musicloving people and skilled musicians to wild monkeys than I rather be "we".

*producer's opinion = irrelevant. Like Brian(God bless him) Eno would say:"My God, the last record I recorded with U2 sucks BIG time!"
*grammies = irrelevant. Multiply that 3 billion time and you have my opinion of the grammies
*Album sales= irrelevant. Atomic Kitten better than let's say: Tom Waits??

:wave:

WE are better than the US anyway :wink:
what a load of nonsense
of course the band and producers (initially) miss the distance to be able to tell whether it is among their greatest work
but they are not idiots
I am not proclaiming their opinion is more valid than ours, but to say it's less valid .... well, I just don't see it

furthermore, in this case we are not talking about Britney Spears
I honestly believe that people like Lanois, Eno and the band rather not release a thing than to release something they don't believe in
to make out these people are among the music business whores is beyond laughable

I am not in favour of saying that grammies + album = good music
but with a band like U2 it is fair to say that if an album does not get critical acclaim and does not sell than something must be wrong
no matter how many people over here think it's the best ever
it's not like we lack any bias

furthermore, in this case we are not talking about Britney Spears
I honestly believe that people like Lanois, Eno and the band rather not release a thing than to release something they don't believe in
to make out these people are among the music business whores is beyond laughable

Please explain this "sentence".

*Band's opnion=irrelevant.
*producer's opinion = irrelevant.
*grammies = irrelevant.
*Album sales= irrelevant.
+
*Fans = irrelevant because people will never agree and everyone's biased.

Do you oppose critical acclaim, zwervers ?

what a load of nonsense
of course the band and producers (initially) miss the distance to be able to tell whether it is among their greatest work
but they are not idiots
I am not proclaiming their opinion is more valid than ours, but to say it's less valid .... well, I just don't see it

Quote: Brian Eno:"SIAMYCGOO will be the biggest hit U2 blablbla."
To get one thing clear: I absolutely love Brian Eno and his work and I have confidence that his influence will ift U2 to that level that I feel lacked in the last two outings

*Band's opnion=irrelevant.
*producer's opinion = irrelevant.
*grammies = irrelevant.
*Album sales= irrelevant.
+
*Fans = irrelevant because people will never agree and everyone's biased.

Do you oppose critical acclaim, zwervers ?

No U2girl, offcourse not. I just don't think that the grammies are relevant :wink:

and the fans are relevant. without those people there would be no singing along to songs in the first place. Let us never foget. U2 were THIS close to be never signed at all and were rejected by a lot of recordcompanies (people who are supposed to understand music and how to sell it, give me a break). U2 or any other band for that matter would be absoutely nothing without their fans. Bono would be working in a factory and would be told to shut up when singing to the beatles on the radio. I would pay to see that actually.

to make out u2+eno+lanois (=these people) are among the (group of) "music business whores" is beyond laughable

off course they have to like it, but to give you an example. I had this song I wrote which I thought was FANTASTIC! I was the only one that liked it actually haha so my opinion was irrelevant :)

but you're right about the fact that us wants this album asap and I think I wont be dissapointed this time. I have that certain feeling like I had with AB for some reason. Man I wish I could go back to the day I heared Zoostation for the first time and thought What the hell isthis and then just being completely stunned by such coolness!

When I first put AB in the tape player and the opening riff of Zoo Station kicked in I really thought that I had gotten the wrong tape. I thought I got jipped. But I would soon discover I was listening to the greatest album ever made :drool:

When I first put AB in the tape player and the opening riff of Zoo Station kicked in I really thought that I had gotten the wrong tape. I thought I got jipped. But I would soon discover I was listening to the greatest album ever made :drool:

Actually that was my first reaction as well. like there was a problem with the cd or something..I didnt say stuff like what the hell but I was thinking it. :)

Sometimes I miss those days

Back
Top Bottom