[U2.com] In London, Shooting A Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some French fans that have supposedly heard "Moment of Surrender" at Eze stated that none of the beach clips is that song. The "dallas" clip from U2.com is kinda suspicious to me... :hmm:

Thanks a bunch!

But if I remember correctly, those French fans said that before the 5th clip come to surface.

^ Hopefully not, I know the quality on this clip is particularly bad, but no matter how often I listen to this clip, it's not doing anything for me.

When I think Moment Of Surrender i'm thinking something dark and bleak, quite slow and quite at the start and builds up into an Edge solo with Bono screaming at the top of his lungs and Larry and Adam playing their hearts out.

:wink:

When I think Moment Of Surrender i'm thinking something dark and bleak, quite slow and quite at the start and builds up into an Edge solo with Bono screaming at the top of his lungs and Larry and Adam playing their hearts out.

:up:I have to agree with this, I hope Eno is right when he says it's the best work he's done with U2.

Stairway To Heaven? :drool:

What I find really interesting about that Eno quote is that if it REALLY IS the best thing he's done with U2... well, I'd think by default that would mean it is the best U2 song (in his opinion, of course). Should be interesting to hear... :hmm:

People, Eno also thought Stuck In A Moment would be the biggest song U2 have ever written.

Stuck In A fucking Moment.

People, Eno also thought Stuck In A Moment would be the biggest song U2 have ever written.

Stuck In A fucking Moment.
Well, the difference is that Eno thought "Stuck..." would be U2's biggest single... no baring whatsoever on the song's quality (though, I must add, I find the song to be quite excellent)

I'm guessing Moment Of Surrender will not be released as a single or it would have to be shortened by around 2 minutes. :up:

Eno's opinions of his work with U2= irrelevent.

We decide.

Put out the fucking record.

No, I'll be getting crucified in about 5 minutes. stick around and watch the carnage.

Well, the difference is that Eno thought "Stuck..." would be U2's biggest single... no baring whatsoever on the song's quality (though, I must add, I find the song to be quite excellent)

i would say if it were less "poppy" and more like the stripped down versions then it would have been one of their biggest singles. It still is a pretty big hit I think.

Suave-and-Debonair-Jeff-Williams-153314.jpg

Not at all.
in 2008 we had 4 leaks, 3 from HQ in Dublin, and only one from the beach:

February
1st HQ clip - No Line On The Horizon (Confirmed on USA Today and Mojo articles) sung to the melody of beach clip #1 choruses on top of another track - some hardly audible cacophony...

April
2nd HQ clip - For Your Love (Confirmed on Q article) - faintly heard beyond trucks driving back and forth. the intro to this song later appeared in u2.com clip "larrystuff" and the post-chorus riff appeared on u2.com clip "edgeback", the song sounds like a combination of a Fly-like riff to which Edge refers in his Q interview, and a Mysterious Ways harmony.
For Your Love intro: http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larrystuff.swf
post-chorus/pre-verse riff: http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/edgeback.swf (3rd music bit)

the For Your Love clip was recorded by a friend of DreamOutLoud that had graciously uploaded it after having to put up with all sorts of shit from people on this forum who bashed her for not catering immediately to their capricious desires. Blessed be she.
For Your Love is still available for listen on u2exit.com as "beach clip minus the beach". go stream it from the site if you like.
Beach Clip minus the beach - new audio | U2 Exit News Blog

May
3rd HQ clip - Breathe (Confirmed on Q) - early version without bass and different melody. uploaded on YouTube, and removed upon Universal's requested right after:

July
Beach clips from Eze sur del Mer recorded by dutch fan Ben, right off Bono's balcony.
These include:

1 - Either "Unknown Caller" (title confirmed on Mojo) but perhaps more likely "No Line on the Horizon", the chorus appeared on the Here Is What Is trailer. and the same chords of the chorus and the long outro solo both appeared on the clip from February over which NLOTH was sung. this first clip originated from the Fez sessions however.

YouTube - U2 NO LINE ON THE HORIZON: NEW ALBUM PART 1 OF 4 (2009)

2 - Breathe (Confirmed on Q interview) - Later version with slightly different melody, awesome bassline and more guitars. the outro is featured on u2.com clip "adamfans", and the pre-bridge chorus is on u2.com clip "toiletbreak" with different melody and additional E-Bow guitar.

YouTube - U2 NO LINE ON THE HORIZON: NEW ALBUM PART 2 OF 4 (2009)

Breathe outro: http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/adam_fans.swf

Breathe chorus-bridge transition: http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/toiletbreak.swf

3 - Get Up On Your Boots (Confirmed by Q) - with main riff previously featured on u2.com clips "greentea" and "april08_larrydrums", and on guitar documentary It Might Get Loud, perhaps u2.com clip "adambass" is the intro to the song.

YouTube - U2 NO LINE ON THE HORIZON: NEW ALBUM PART 3 OF 4 (2009)

4 - untitled - with "Only love will mend/break your heart" sung over and over, people speculated about it being all sorts of different songs, but I believe it is none of the confirmed titles we had so far, except for maybe One Bird. anyhow, the basic chord sequence+bassline appears on u2.com clip "edgeback" (http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/edgeback.swf 2nd bit of music), and bits of singing and the guitar line on top can be heard played with on u2.com clip "edgeputitdown" http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/edgeputitdown.swf .

YouTube - U2 NO LINE ON THE HORIZON: NEW ALBUM PART 4 OF 4 (2009)

This song is NOT No Line On the Horizon - because it contains neither the "mellow title refrain" mentioned on USA Today article, nor the chords of the song from February.

This sonq is NOT Moment of Surrender - because we have pretty much most of it and it's hardly 4:30 long, so it's too short, besides, french fans who have heard new songs yet didn't record them on another occasion in the same period of time these clips were recorded, described MOS as starting off rather like "Stuck in a moment" then taking a left turn and ending with long and beautiful guitar parts, none of which are evident on this recording.

This song is NOT For Your Love - because that one is a completely different song as explained above.

I doubt that it is Unknown Caller because UC was recorded in Fez, and judging from the comparison between beachclip 4 and the bits of it from u2.com, the song had evolved quite a lot, and according to the Edge the Fez and France 2007 songs mostly retained the original takes of the songs.

5 - hardly 2:50 minutes of some soul-tinged ballad with piano, worst recording quality, and shortest bit of a song. This clip failed to get any positive attention, but I believe that this is just the beginning of a rather long song. If Moment of Surrender is any of the clips we've heared, it must be this one.

the first 4 beach clips are available for listen on YouTube, after reuploaded there by user U2NewSongs. Just search for No Line On the Horizon (And ignore the misguided title speculation in the talkbacks hehe...)

So that's what we heard from the new album:

No Line On the Horizon (several forms)

Breathe

Get Up On Your Boots

untitled trance-ballad - beach clip #4

a short excerpt of a gospel influenced piece - with little likelihood Moment Of Surrender - beach clip #5

For Your Love

Of 5 clips recorded in france in summer 2006, during sessions produced by Rick Rubin, 1 was released as Window in the Skies, 1 was just a Strokes side project listened to by U2, one was a rendition of a Daniel Lanois song, and the other 2 will not be released on this upcoming album according to Edge's comment that any Rubin-produced tracks were taken off this current project and shelved for possible future revisiting.

Cool analysis. I'm not being snarky or anything just wondering how you know what titles are to what music ??

He's just guessing as we all are but some of it is rather easy to draw together.
We don't have any confirmation of any of these being anything specific but there are some good sleuths around here.

The song No Line On The Horizon only leaked once and it was so hard to make anything from, it might as well have not even leaked. You could hear the mellow refrain, barely and as PolarCamel pointed out, the solo was lifted for the other song (which is most likely Unknown Caller). So this specific song is hard to pin down. I think PolarCamel and I disagree on that one though, we shall see. NLOTH is supposed to have heavy distorted guitars in it, I don't hear that in the choral song, at all.

The rest are pretty easy, Breathe, Boots, For Your Love, etc. all these are pretty apparent. Clip4 (labeled 'Only Love'), I think might be Cedars of Lebanon, it could be anything really. Clip5, I hope is a B-side.

The rest I agree with.

Also wanted to add, I am guessing One Bird is Unknown Caller*.

Based on Edge's description of the song in the recent interview.

It was in the same context as the discussion of that song and the Fez material.

I'm just guessing we haven't heard 'Moment of Surrender' yet.

*Edit to include the quote from Edge
With Unknown Caller the sound of Fez is there because we were recording in this riad [town house]. The way they are constructed, they have this big atrium and that’s where we were set up. So the roof was open and the swallows were flying into the atrium and nesting, so at the beginning of the tune you can hear these swallows. So it really has this very tangible atmosphere of the space that we recorded it in

Back
Top Bottom