U2 as Poetry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fmattyh

Acrobat
So I'm in my last semester of college (aka University, for the non-Americans here) and I have to take a basic literature class in order to graduate. One of our assignments is to bring in a poem and read it to the class. Here's the good part - if it's a song, we can play it. Even better, we can play a VIDEO CLIP of it being performed.

I think you know which one I am choosing. :) So here's the thing - how do I decide what video clip to play for the class? I want to do a song with relatively meaningful lyrics - something that will sound OK when I read the lyrics to the class before playing the video (we have to explain the lyrics too). I also want to show a performance that something HAPPENS in. In other words, I want to demonstrate how an effectively performed song can elevate some simple song lyrics into something so much more. So I want a performance that will make everyone instantly become U2 fans, if they're not already.

Ideas? Off-hand, I've thought of a couple ideas... Please would be a good option, especially the performance from the 1997 VMAs. Running to Stand Still from Zoo TV (Sydney) seems like it would be a good choice too. Even The Fly from Boston or Until the End of the World from Slane or elsewhere.

Thoughts? Any other performances that knock your socks off, and have great lyrics to boot?

I would like either Zoo Station or Bullet because they show so much more to the song than just sitting there..

I would also love The Fly from Boston..

"please"....from the extra lil dvd they gave along with the best of 90-00 double cd....i believe it was from rotterdam.....:drool:

best performance IMO...

others i would consider are

streets - Zoo sydney
RTST - Zoo sydney

ya cant really go wrong with ANY of these...good luck :wink:

Alot of the songs have a powerful meaning....I can think of Until the End of the World....with the whole Jesus and Judas story...that's powerful. I think One has a very powerful story behind...maybe several...I remember hearing it is even about a gay friend of Bono's.

I think there is a book out too the explains the songs....Not sure what its called though, but I remember looking through it.

anything from The Unforgettble Fire that has lyrics if you want just a song.

Where the Streets Have No Name would be a perfect audio/visual presentation, because of its epic live scale.

I must admit, I've always been a bit obsessed by 'Walk to the Water' :) I just find it an incredibly evocative song and beautiful lyrics. Though, probably no video to accompany it!

She said it wasn't cold
She left her coat at home that day
She wore canvas shoes
White canvas shoes
Around her neck
She wore a silver necklace
It was given to me by my father, she said
It was given to me

She took the back way home
Passed the lights and the summer hill
Turned left onto the north strand
And on, and towards the sea

He said he was an artist
But he really painted billboards
In large capital letters
Large capital letters
He was telling jokes
Nobody else would listen to him

I saw you that day
Your lips were cherry red
Your legs were crossed
Your arms wide open

Your hair was coloured gold
Like a field of corn
You were blown by the wind
You were blown by the wind

Walk, walk, walk...to the water
Walk with me a while
Walk, walk, walk...to the roadside
Walk me in the light

A room in the wild town
Sea facing views
A man with a suitcase
Full of things he doesn't need
I'm looking through your window
I'm walking through your doorway
I'm on the outside
Let me in
Let me love you
Let me love you
Let me...

Walk, walk, walk...to the water
Walk with me...yeah
Walk, walk, walk...to the roadside
Walk with me again

Have fun!

TranceEnding said:
I must admit, I've always been a bit obsessed by 'Walk to the Water' :) I just find it an incredibly evocative song and beautiful lyrics. Though, probably no video to accompany it!

You're my new best friend, TranceEnding! You beat me to it. Please, RTSS and so on are great songs but it might be better to not do something so obvious. The song is closer to spoken word poetry than most songs. The class will get hooked to U2 after listening to it.
I too am obsessed with Walk To The Water. It is my favorite song of U2 or any artist. It never gets mention even when b-sides are discussed. If ever a song was perfect it would be Walk To The Water.

P.S. The song is so cinematic that you don't a video for it.

A Sort of Homecoming is one of the bands most poetic songs, though disecting the meaning may be tricky!

Screwtape2 said:

P.S. The song is so cinematic that you don't a video for it.

OMG, not only are YOU my new best friend :wink: .. you are also reading my mind with that comment, too :) Actually, I did think initially that -fmattyh-, if she/he has a cinematic bent, could make a little video him/herself to accompany the reading/song. That would be pretty cool! Or .. maybe that's something I would do, heehee!

It's funny, but straight after I wrote that post, I had to listen to the song .. and just re-reading the lyrics, STILL gives me shivers :) This song always reminds me of Bray, in Ireland, where I've visited on a few occassions (my Irish friend used to live there). Bono used to live there too, right? So maybe he used it for some inspiration for the song.

Hmmmmm .. me too, definately one, if not, my fave U2 song :)

Z00rop@83 said:
"please"....from the extra lil dvd they gave along with the best of 90-00 double cd....i believe it was from rotterdam.....:drool:

best performance IMO...

others i would consider are

streets - Zoo sydney
RTST - Zoo sydney

ya cant really go wrong with ANY of these...good luck :wink:

actually it was from helsinki, finland but still yea i would go with please:drool:

Back
Top Bottom