U2 and Bon Jovi: Separated at birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just another point, you say that you haven't said that big sales=good music, but youurcomments in your first post indicate otherwise. You compare the similarities of the two band's sales after saying "I wonder if U2 fans misunderstand Bon Jovi?" (this implies that Bon Jovi are the same as U2, or near their quality because of their similar sales figures that you listed):)

BTW, Whats the Story...the guy who wrote "It's My Life" was Max Martin...I believed you mentioned that in another post so I thought I would drop the name so you would know.

Cheers walkon:) Is that guy a known pop-writer? The fat Bon Jovi got other writers in shows they aren't a real rock band doesn't it!

Whats The Story? said:
Cheers walkon:) Is that guy a known pop-writer? The fat Bon Jovi got other writers in shows they aren't a real rock band doesn't it!

Yep, he's a pop songwriter for the likes of such legends as:

Backstreet Boys
N'Sync
Britney Spears

And you can add Bon Jovi now to that list...this comparison between U2 and Bon Jovi is crap (for lack of better term) because there is no comparison. U2 and that other band shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath unless it's to say that Richie Sambora cleans the Edge's guitar.

i agree rem and the red hot chilli peppers are better comparisons to u2 than bon jovi and sure i don't have "data" to back it up but even The Police does better at comparison with U2 than Bon Jovi, but that's just me.

walkon11 said:

Backstreet Boys
N'Sync
Britney Spears

And you can add Bon Jovi now to that list...this comparison between U2 and Bon Jovi is crap (for lack of better term) because there is no comparison. U2 and that other band shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath unless it's to say that Richie Sambora cleans the Edge's guitar.

Bllllleeeuucchhhh!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: This proves conclusively that any comparisons between the two bands are completely worthless!! Any rock band worth its salt would NEVER allow its songs to be written for it by professional pop songwriters.

Bon Jovi is such a cheesy and bland rock group. How can you ever compare them with U2? There are many other talented and interesting bands other than Bon Jovi that you could compare U2 with.

I hate Bon Jovi with a passion. Their songs make my ears bleed. They're complete shit.

You have it right, my friend...

Naya said:
Bon Jovi is such a cheesy and bland rock group. How can you ever compare them with U2? There are many other talented and interesting bands other than Bon Jovi that you could compare U2 with.

I hate Bon Jovi with a passion. Their songs make my ears bleed. They're complete shit.

I couldn't have said it any better myself! :up:

Naya said:

Ahh sentiments to warm my heart!:D :yes: :up: :D

Its my life!

Q: Do you like Bon Jovi?
A:
talkmonkey2.gif

Q: Do you like U2?
A:
gophers.gif

Damn.
This was a very entertaining thread.
Rest assured I did alot of :banghead: :lmao:
Anyhow.
You guys have been mentioning the term " butt rocker".:lmao:
It is -hands down-the most fookin hilarious term I've heard in a while!! But it's so fitting..
And it was this man who coined THAT term for Jon Bon Jovi back in February of this year at a solo gig he was doing.
:tongue: :tongue:
np13.jpg

This was around the time the Olympics were on...and he said he had the misfortune of catching Bon Jovi's set on tv....he said he saw some "40 year old Butt Rocker wrapped in the American Flag" and knew all was right with the world. *note heavy sarcasm*
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

jick said:

That's really great to hear that your mom-in-law loves Bon Jovi. It just reinforces my point that Bon Jovi appeals to all sexes and ages, just like U2!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Yeah, I guess it's great since you don't have to listen to "It's My Life" on repeat hundreds of times while you're at her house. :banghead:

HeartlandGirl said:

Yeah, I guess it's great since you don't have to listen to "It's My Life" on repeat hundreds of times while you're at her house. :banghead:
OH NO!!!
You're fookin kidding, right?
I would just go completely::banghead: :silent: :scream: :censored: :rant: :coocoo: :crack:
I don't know how you survive.
Butt rockers are loved by some.
But they are definitely not for everyone.
Actually.
Not by most sane people.
I sympathize, heartland girl.
Love Autumn

elevation2u said:
i agree rem and the red hot chilli peppers are better comparisons to u2 than bon jovi and sure i don't have "data" to back it up but even The Police does better at comparison with U2 than Bon Jovi, but that's just me.

The Police are no match for Bon Jovi in longevity! They lasted for such a short time. But The Police is my second favorite band of all-time, next to U2 of course. In their short career, they were able to constantly evolve their music, from the white reggae style of Roxanne and So Lonely, to the ground-breaking not-reggae-at-all Synchronicity album. They do rock, it's a shame The Police was short lived. I didn't like Sting as much since he went solo. Personally, I find the music of the Police much better than Bon Jovi's -- but that's just my opinion. Many might think otherwise.

Cheers,

J

walkon11 said:
BTW, Whats the Story...the guy who wrote "It's My Life" was Max Martin...I believed you mentioned that in another post so I thought I would drop the name so you would know.

Did Max Martin write just the lyrics, the melody or both? Was Max Martin the only one who did that? Or did Bon Jovi contribute some things? I don't have the Crush album so I haven't really seen the credits.

Cheers,

J

walkon11 said:

Backstreet Boys
N'Sync
Britney Spears

Wow! I never knew that. Unlike you, I don't really collect Backstreet Boys, NSync or Britney, and I also don't own the Crush album of Bon Jovi (I only own 4 Bon Jovi albums - Slippery, New Jersey, Keep The Faith, Best Of)

Nevertheless, this is a tribute to Bon Jovi's diversity and flexibility to be able to work with a producer who has done boybands and sexy solo female artists. He can jump from one genre to another, from boyband to girl star to a rocking band!

Kinda like who U2 has William Orbit on tow for Electrical Storm -- can you imagie William Orbit worked for Madonna? The parallelisms are there. Many liken Britney now to Madonna during her Like A Virgin Days and many think Britney will be around as long a Madonna. So it's like U2 and Bon Jovi on one coin, Madonna and Britney on the other.

U2 themselves are diverse too, having worked with a DJ named Howie B once. Damn, the more people bring things up the more the Bon Jovi- U2 comparisons become inevitable!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Whats The Story? said:

Bllllleeeuucchhhh!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: This proves conclusively that any comparisons between the two bands are completely worthless!! Any rock band worth its salt would NEVER allow its songs to be written for it by professional pop songwriters.

Bon Jovi is just trying to work with a wider range of people. Maybe the Bon Jovi fans might be saying something about U2 like "Any rock band worth its salt would NEVER allow its songs to be written for it by DJ's (howie b)". The comparisons are endless! Separated at birth!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Naya said:

MacDonald's is cheesy and bland but they sell more and are loved by more!

And I completely agree.. there are bands with lots of talent other than Bon Jovi who you cna compare U2 with. Led Zeppelin, The Ramones, Nirvana, The Doors, The Beatles ...to name a few. But unlike Bon Jovi, they're not around anymore.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

mmmBono said:
Damn.
This was a very entertaining thread.
Rest assured I did alot of :banghead: :lmao:
Anyhow.
You guys have been mentioning the term " butt rocker".:lmao:
It is -hands down-the most fookin hilarious term I've heard in a while!! But it's so fitting..
And it was this man who coined THAT term for Jon Bon Jovi back in February of this year at a solo gig he was doing.
:tongue: :tongue:
np13.jpg

This was around the time the Olympics were on...and he said he had the misfortune of catching Bon Jovi's set on tv....he said he saw some "40 year old Butt Rocker wrapped in the American Flag" and knew all was right with the world. *note heavy sarcasm*
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Maybe he meant that Bon Jovi is already old but still have a nice butt? Anyway Vedder's comments don't hold much water. He has been out of the radar for years while Bon Jovi has been piling up the accolades and broadening their fanbase around the world - except in America perhaps!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

bonjovi is a long-lasting candy , full of shitty standart " adult rock " , rock for radio-listeners , there is no anything , ANYTHING connecting them with U2 ,

jick said:

Maybe he meant that Bon Jovi is already old but still have a nice butt? Anyway Vedder's comments don't hold much water. He has been out of the radar for years while Bon Jovi has been piling up the accolades and broadening their fanbase around the world - except in America perhaps!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

NO-ONE CARES about record sales!!! If U2 only sold about 1,000 records worldwide it wouldn't make a difference!

jick said:

Bon Jovi is just trying to work with a wider range of people. Maybe the Bon Jovi fans might be saying something about U2 like "Any rock band worth its salt would NEVER allow its songs to be written for it by DJ's (howie b)". The comparisons are endless! Separated at birth!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Hmm yeah, ok..

1.Bon Jovi is a POP band, trying to stay commercially relevant, hence them allowing a manufactured pop songwriter to pen material for them. He basically did all the legwork for that song that would enable it to be a chart hit, ie: the melody, which is what would catch the ears of teenyboppers and other non-music fans.

2.U2's collaboration with a DJ is completely different to Bon Jovi's collab. U2 wrote the melody and lyrics of the songs on POP, the DJ added a certain style of production, like any producer would. He didn't assist in the writing of the songs in any way.

About Avril Lavigne, I've only heard one of her songs and it's not that bad. I wouldnt call her punnk (which she seems to think she is) but I can see what she's getting at.

Whats The Story? said:

Hmm yeah, ok..

1.Bon Jovi is a POP band, trying to stay commercially relevant, hence them allowing a manufactured pop songwriter to pen material for them. He basically did all the legwork for that song that would enable it to be a chart hit, ie: the melody, which is what would catch the ears of teenyboppers and other non-music fans.

2.U2's collaboration with a DJ is completely different to Bon Jovi's collab. U2 wrote the melody and lyrics of the songs on POP, the DJ added a certain style of production, like any producer would. He didn't assist in the writing of the songs in any way.

Exactly...working with various producers is one thing...having others write your songs is completely different.

Last edited:
Whats The Story? said:

NO-ONE CARES about record sales!!! If U2 only sold about 1,000 records worldwide it wouldn't make a difference!

U2 will never sell only 1,000 records. In this forum alone there are around 3,000 members.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

RavenStar said:
About Avril Lavigne, I've only heard one of her songs and it's not that bad. I wouldnt call her punnk (which she seems to think she is) but I can see what she's getting at.

Her song is really catchy and I like it a lot but I think she didn't write it. She's just a manufactured artist made up of hpe. And she is not punk. She is just a 3rd generation Britney packaged and marketed as punk. But hey, I find her cute and I like the song (whoever wrote it!). There you go.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Wow! I never knew that. Unlike you, I don't really collect Backstreet Boys, NSync or Britney, and I also don't own the Crush album of Bon Jovi (I only own 4 Bon Jovi albums - Slippery, New Jersey, Keep The Faith, Best Of)

Ooooohh...getting a little personal there, huh?

Whats The Story? said:

Hmm yeah, ok..

1. Bon Jovi is indeed POP. They are by no means grunge or alternative. Just like how U2 tried to make a POP album in 1997 because their previous album was alternative (remember Zooropa winning best alternative album in the Grammies?). With the record sales of Bon Jovi's most recent offerings, I don't think they are *trying* to stay commercially relevant --- they *are* commercially relevant. It would be interesting to see how their new record "Bounce" would fare though. I would highly respect Bon Jovi for working with people who can help them appeal to the teenyboppers. More than any other era in the history of music, the teenyboppers' tastes now are more fickle than ever. Who would expect the to be listening to a band with members in their 40's? Well, Bon Jovi was able to pull the rabbit out of the hat by working with the right people who kept them commercially relevant all these years. Sometimes you have to go beyond the four corners of a band and look into the people they work with to fully appreciate how they have stayed commercially relevant for so long and still getting to appeal to the fickle teenybopper market.

2. While it is known that Howie B co-produced POP, I would rather not speculate on what he did and did not do. I would just thank him for such a great album. To me, it doesn't matter how he comes up with the song or if whether he was responsible for that sample here or that drum loop there. A song is a song, and view it in it's totality -- not in the sum of its parts or on who wrote it or produced it.

Nice to know we belong to the same page on this issue. Nice to know you are also an avid U2 and Bon Jovi follower (not necessarily a fan) because you seem to know the inner workings of their producers! Cool!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

A few random comments...

1. I cannot reconcile the idea that 100 million fools went out and bought Bon Jovi albums.

2. Richie Sambora has the same haircut as his wife Heather Locklear.

3. That's a fantastic shot of Eddie Vedder. Yum!

4. If we're speaking about longevity, then there are a number of bands or performers we could compare U2 to - RHCP, REM, Springsteen, etc. Why the dreck that is Bon Jovi should ever enter into this conversation is baffling.

5. If Bon Jovi retired tomorrow, I don't believe we'd miss a thing. If U2 left the scene tomorrow, there would be a void in the music industry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom