U2 and Bon Jovi: Separated at birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jick said:

Maybe he meant that Bon Jovi is already old but still have a nice butt?

Hmmmm. I interpreted the phrase "butt rock" as meaning the only reason Bon Jovi got a record contract is the fact that Jon has a nice butt.

jick said:

U2 will never sell only 1,000 records. In this forum alone there are around 3,000 members.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Missing the point once again....:rolleyes:

On your other points, i don't repect anyband for working with pop songwriters to try to appeal to a certain section of music listeners. I also would not call POP a pop album because it is highyl eclectic and a somewhat unconfortable listen...Its a very good album though. It is only pop in that it uses several genres that have been popular..ie guitar ballads (staring at the sun) dance rock like the chemical brothers (mofo) rock and roll (last night on earth) etc etc...A pop album in today's sense of the word would never attempt to mix these wildly different stlyes of songs together, it would be commercial suicide. This is why U2 are different from Bon Jovi again, they would never take a risk wth their sound...it would be too rusky for a pop band like them.

Having said all this, your comments seem designed to provoke arguments rather than real debate; there is no basis for comparing Bon Jovi to U2.

jick said:

Maybe he meant that Bon Jovi is already old but still have a nice butt? Anyway Vedder's comments don't hold much water. He has been out of the radar for years while Bon Jovi has been piling up the accolades and broadening their fanbase around the world - except in America perhaps!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP
Cheers back at ya.
I don't think Eddie wasn't issuing out compliments there.:laugh:
And I don't think he was checking out his ass either. There are many other butts Eddie can admire. And I don't think Jovi's is one of them. LOL!
Eddie's comments may not hold water in your mind. And that's okay with me.
But I gotta tell you, Eddie's been "under the radar" by choice. But that will change slowly. He's warming up to doing interviews again. I'm not comparing Eddie and Mr. Bon Jovi here.
But if you wanna....well....Vedder writes...and always has written his own music. And that in my book, places Mr. Vedder waaaay above Butt Rockers who hire people to write their songs.

Peace,
Autumn

Last edited:
anitram said:
A few random comments...

1. I cannot reconcile the idea that 100 million fools went out and bought Bon Jovi albums.

2. Richie Sambora has the same haircut as his wife Heather Locklear.

3. That's a fantastic shot of Eddie Vedder. Yum!

4. If we're speaking about longevity, then there are a number of bands or performers we could compare U2 to - RHCP, REM, Springsteen, etc. Why the dreck that is Bon Jovi should ever enter into this conversation is baffling.

5. If Bon Jovi retired tomorrow, I don't believe we'd miss a thing. If U2 left the scene tomorrow, there would be a void in the music industry.
It is a nice shot, huh? That's why it's there! Not too bad for 37 years old!:tongue: :drool: :eek: :drool:
And I agree with all your comments.:D
Muchas Smoochas,
Autumn

anitram said:
i thought i was the only one who noticed this. i pointed out to my mom whilst watching their behind the music as to how girlie richie looked and how he had the same haircut as her, and she acted like *i* was the one who was crazy.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i thought i was the only one who noticed this. i pointed out to my mom whilst watching their behind the music as to how girlie richie looked and how he had the same haircut as her, and she acted like *i* was the one who was crazy.
:lmao: :lmao: And they probably share clothes too...when no one's looking!!:lmao: :lmao:

Seriously - he's got the layers, the highlights, the whole shebang.

That's the best Eddie surfing pic I've seen so far. Way better than the mohawk.

anitram said:
A few random comments...

1. I cannot reconcile the idea that 100 million fools went out and bought Bon Jovi albums.

3. That's a fantastic shot of Eddie Vedder. Yum!

4. If we're speaking about longevity, then there are a number of bands or performers we could compare U2 to - RHCP, REM, Springsteen, etc. Why the dreck that is Bon Jovi should ever enter into this conversation is baffling.

5. If Bon Jovi retired tomorrow, I don't believe we'd miss a thing. If U2 left the scene tomorrow, there would be a void in the music industry.

1. I cannot reconclie while only 1.3 million Americans bought POP which was a great album while 4 million bought ATYCLB which was a good album.

2. Edge has the same haircut as his manager Paul McGuiness.

3. Has Vedder retired from performing and gone into watersports? Kinda like how Vanilla Ice has turned into a professional jetski racer?

4. Many bands have been around longer than U2 and Bon Jovi. The question really is - are they still selling as much after so many years? The answer is no.

5. I totally agree. Bon Jovi is just another great rock band going with the flow. U2 have invented their own flow. U2's demise would definitely cause a bigger void than Bon Jovi.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Bono's shades said:

Hmmmm. I interpreted the phrase "butt rock" as meaning the only reason Bon Jovi got a record contract is the fact that Jon has a nice butt.

How does his butt compare to Bono's butt? Just wondering!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Whats The Story? said:

Missing the point once again....:rolleyes:

On your other points, i don't repect anyband for working with pop songwriters to try to appeal to a certain section of music listeners. I also would not call POP a pop album because it is highyl eclectic and a somewhat unconfortable listen...Its a very good album though. It is only pop in that it uses several genres that have been popular..ie guitar ballads (staring at the sun) dance rock like the chemical brothers (mofo) rock and roll (last night on earth) etc etc...A pop album in today's sense of the word would never attempt to mix these wildly different stlyes of songs together, it would be commercial suicide. This is why U2 are different from Bon Jovi again, they would never take a risk wth their sound...it would be too rusky for a pop band like them.

Having said all this, your comments seem designed to provoke arguments rather than real debate; there is no basis for comparing Bon Jovi to U2.

That is your opinion and I respect your opinion of no appreciating them working with a pop songwriter. Since U2 haven't really used pop songwriters, the concept of having pop songwriters aid the album production duties is very alien to many U2 fans -- so I can't blame for not quite understanding or appreciating the role of pop songwriters. Meanwhile, U2's POP album wasn't a pop album ..but it was supposed to be - that is why they named it Pop. Their original name for the album was even POP FOR MEN, because they thought it was a mature version of the Pop music that dominates the radiowaves today, and that U2 targeted POP for the "men" segment of the market.

I don't think U2 were really taking "risks" - but U2 have studied the market well and discovered what music the market really needs and what innovative music they can handle. If U2 were such a risk-takers, don't you think 25 years after they have formed, the law of averages would have caught up and they would have a risk that failed and doomed their career? Even the POP album wasn't a risk - U2 studied the market and realized the musical tastes during that era was Beck, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, etc., so U2 got a DJ to help them come up with a similar sound in POP. Like Bono once said, the hardest thing to do is to make it look spontaneous when it's not, I think the second hardest thing to do is to make a well-calculated market study look like a risk.

U2 are such geniuses in studying the market, that is why they don't need pop songwriters like the one Bon Jovi employs. These pop songwriters are the ones who study the target market of Bon Jovi and help the band work on their songs. U2 just do things themselves. Bon Jovi on the other hand has only expertise in playing music and not making market studies. So they let other people do the work. The end result is the same. The success of Bon Jovi and U2 are almost identical - record sales, longevity, and sales of most recent album.

I am confused why you say there is no basis for comparing U2 to Bon Jovi. Everyone who has contributed to this thread have all discussed the similarities of both bands and have endlessly compared them. When I started this thread, I thought it would just go away. But as more people post replies like you, more similarities about both bands emerge. My first post underlining some similarities was only the tip of the iceberg after all!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

mmmBono said:

But I gotta tell you, Eddie's been "under the radar" by choice. But that will change slowly. He's warming up to doing interviews again. I'm not comparing Eddie and Mr. Bon Jovi here.
But if you wanna....well....Vedder writes...and always has written his own music. And that in my book, places Mr. Vedder waaaay above Butt Rockers who hire people to write their songs.

Peace,
Autumn

I don't think that will change just because Eddie is now giving interviews. He's past his prime now and he fated himself to this commercial doom because of intentionally avoiding the publicity. Bon Jovi have written most of their songs, with some exceptions. One of the U2 songs I like so much is The Ground Beneath Her Feet -- and U2 didn't even write it!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

jick said:

5. Bon Jovi is just another great rock band .
Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

what a crack of S%#@ , this phrase is :shame: :eeklaugh: :censored: :down: ;) :macdevil: :angel: :coocoo:

you're a true king of pop* if u think that bonjovi are a rock band ..

jick said:

1. I cannot reconclie while only 1.3 million Americans bought POP which was a great album while 4 million bought ATYCLB which was a good album.

2. Edge has the same haircut as his manager Paul McGuiness.

3. Has Vedder retired from performing and gone into watersports? Kinda like how Vanilla Ice has turned into a professional jetski racer?

4. Many bands have been around longer than U2 and Bon Jovi. The question really is - are they still selling as much after so many years? The answer is no.

5. I totally agree. Bon Jovi is just another great rock band going with the flow. U2 have invented their own flow. U2's demise would definitely cause a bigger void than Bon Jovi.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP
Excuse ME?
Vedder retired?
You must be living under a fookin rock. Pearl Jam has a new album coming out.
Eddie was a surfer before he was in Pearl Jam. And has kept doing it over the years.
And comparing Eddie to Vanilla Ice is as fucking hilarious as you comparing Bono and U2 to Bon fucking Jovi.

mmmBono said:

And comparing Eddie to Vanilla Ice is as fucking hilarious as you comparing Bono and U2 to Bon fucking Jovi.

(Applauds comment)
Although not a Pearl Jam fan, that comment was dead on. I would take them over Bon Jovi without a thought.

jick said:

I don't think that will change just because Eddie is now giving interviews. He's past his prime now and he fated himself to this commercial doom because of intentionally avoiding the publicity. Bon Jovi have written most of their songs, with some exceptions. One of the U2 songs I like so much is The Ground Beneath Her Feet -- and U2 didn't even write it!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP
Oooookay.
Eddie's past his prime. Alrighty then. As if I believe you.
:coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo:
He's hotter than ever. Writes his own fucking music. And has a lot of years left in him. Don't write him off yet. He'll be around along with the greats...U2...the Who...the Rolling Stones...
I don't think he ever fookin cared about "commercial success". He never really did.
You seem to, though. You place alot of importance in that.
That said, I will not go and get Blow Job's albums because you've said they've outsold U2's album worldwide...yadda fucking yadda.
I can't stand their music. It's crap. All of it. Butt rockers are just not my cup of tea.
I like substance, my dear. I find alot more substance in U2's, Pearl Jam's, REM's music. Blow Job's music is empty. No soul. No feeling. And it's hilarious how they hire other people to write their songs. This is something that you will never EVER see Eddie do.
I can see this is just :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: when it comes to discussing anything with you.

jick said:
One of the U2 songs I like so much is The Ground Beneath Her Feet -- and U2 didn't even write it!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP
Sorry, but I have to correct you here: U2 did write the song (remember, the song is the musical compositon, too). Salman Rushdie wrote the lyrics - and only the lyrics. Big difference. Sorry to point out that you were wrong - and, yes, completely wrong;) - but the distinction had to be made.:)

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

Sorry, but I have to correct you here: U2 did write the song. Salman Rushdie wrote the lyrics - and only the lyrics. Big difference. Sorry to point out that you were wrong - and, yes, completly wrong;) - but the distinction had to be made.:)
You GO, Michael:wave:
I was about to respond to that one...but I was too busy:rant: :yell: :banghead: :coocoo: :rant: over those Vanilla Ice comments. How ignorant.
And I'm sure U2 didn't get Rushdie to write the lyrics due to lack of competentcy. Sorry the same can't be said for Blow Jovi.
Anyway...thanks Michael for pointing that out.:love:
*gets some air*

Last edited:
mmmBono said:
And I'm sure U2 didn't get Rushdie to write the lyrics due to lack of compentecy. Sorry the same can't be said for Blow Jovi.

EXACTLY! And there's a huge difference between having some hack pop songwriter write your songs because you want to appeal to the brainless N'Sync and Brittney lovers and having an acclaimed author like Rushdie write lyrics for one of your songs because you admire his work.

Blow Jovi...:lmao: :lmao: Thanks, mmmBono, that was great!

Bono's shades said:

EXACTLY! And there's a huge difference between having some hack pop songwriter write your songs because you want to appeal to the brainless N'Sync and Brittney lovers and having an acclaimed author like Rushdie write lyrics for one of your songs because you admire his work.

Blow Jovi...:lmao: :lmao: Thanks, mmmBono, that was great!
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
You're more than welcome.
Glad to make ya laugh.:sexywink:

mmmBono said:

np13.jpg

This was around the time the Olympics were on...and he said he had the misfortune of catching Bon Jovi's set on tv....he said he saw some "40 year old Butt Rocker wrapped in the American Flag" and knew all was right with the world. *note heavy sarcasm*

:drool: :drool:

and :lmao: :lmao: OMG everytime I read that Eddie quote I can help bu laugh! :lmao:

Autumn you tell 'em don't let him make fun of our Eddie! :D ;)

jick said:

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

TGBHF was a poem written by Rushdie that U2 brilliantly set to music. Not quite the same as getting "professional" song doctors like Desmond Child to make sure you songs are appropriately hook filled and MTV friendly which BJ has been doing for many years.

It's so easy (and quite fun) to goof on BJ, but I'll save myself the time. Just cue up one of their simpy pap confections or any of their 80's videos for further proof. Comparing a real rock band like U2 to BJ is almost as silly as comparing Pearl Jam to BJ. It's also unfair to BJ because these groups are so far out of their depth.

Does Eddie still have that mohawk?

mmmBono said:

OH NO!!!
You're fookin kidding, right?
I would just go completely::banghead: :silent: :scream: :censored: :rant: :coocoo: :crack:
I don't know how you survive.
Butt rockers are loved by some.
But they are definitely not for everyone.
Actually.
Not by most sane people.
I sympathize, heartland girl.
Love Autumn

Okay, so maybe it's not a hundred times in a row, but it feels like it! Thanks for the sympathy!

:hug: Autumn :hug: You've made some good points in this thread, too. Keep fighting the good fight!

mmmBono said:
He'll be around along with the greats...U2...the Who...the Rolling Stones...
ummm, no
Pearl Jam will need more than one hit album (because if you want to join the elite commercial success does count) to join the likes of U2, Rolling Stones etc.

KhanadaRhodes said:

true, but edge and paul are of the same genger.

richie and heather are not, although if you don't look closely enough, you might think they are.

:lmao:

jick said:

That is your opinion and I respect your opinion of no appreciating them working with a pop songwriter. Since U2 haven't really used pop songwriters, the concept of having pop songwriters aid the album production duties is very alien to many U2 fans -- so I can't blame for not quite understanding or appreciating the role of pop songwriters. Meanwhile, U2's POP album wasn't a pop album ..but it was supposed to be - that is why they named it Pop. Their original name for the album was even POP FOR MEN, because they thought it was a mature version of the Pop music that dominates the radiowaves today, and that U2 targeted POP for the "men" segment of the market.

I don't think U2 were really taking "risks" - but U2 have studied the market well and discovered what music the market really needs and what innovative music they can handle. If U2 were such a risk-takers, don't you think 25 years after they have formed, the law of averages would have caught up and they would have a risk that failed and doomed their career? Even the POP album wasn't a risk - U2 studied the market and realized the musical tastes during that era was Beck, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, etc., so U2 got a DJ to help them come up with a similar sound in POP. Like Bono once said, the hardest thing to do is to make it look spontaneous when it's not, I think the second hardest thing to do is to make a well-calculated market study look like a risk.

U2 are such geniuses in studying the market, that is why they don't need pop songwriters like the one Bon Jovi employs. These pop songwriters are the ones who study the target market of Bon Jovi and help the band work on their songs. U2 just do things themselves. Bon Jovi on the other hand has only expertise in playing music and not making market studies. So they let other people do the work. The end result is the same. The success of Bon Jovi and U2 are almost identical - record sales, longevity, and sales of most recent album.

I am confused why you say there is no basis for comparing U2 to Bon Jovi. Everyone who has contributed to this thread have all discussed the similarities of both bands and have endlessly compared them. When I started this thread, I thought it would just go away. But as more people post replies like you, more similarities about both bands emerge. My first post underlining some similarities was only the tip of the iceberg after all!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

You seem to have no problems with bands selling out to achieve chart success. I do. If you're a rock band, you don't get people to come into the studio and write your songs for you. If you do that, you cease to be a rock band and you're just pop fodder like most of everything else in the charts. Do you think Zeppelin, The Who, The Stones etc would ever have considered doing that? Even if thye lost their popularity? No way.

When you say U2 studythe charts and adapt their music to suit whatever's fashionable...ugh.. I just don't agree. What other album in 1997 sounded like the POP album? Like I say it was MIX of styles. Pop band so not mix varying genres of music, they stand still doing the same thing over and over because its a safe and easy way to make money. POP was a risk for U2, no doubt about it, you only have to look at its (relative) commercial underperformance to see that!

Last point: All the replies in this thread show is that U2 and Bon Jovi are vastly different in all areas, apart from the fact that both play in stadiums. Only you, Jick, think the two bands were "separated at birth".:)

Salome said:
ummm, no
Pearl Jam will need more than one hit album (because if you want to join the elite commercial success does count) to join the likes of U2, Rolling Stones etc.

Pearl Jam are definitely in the league of The Who, as far as commercial success goes.
Artistically, IMHO they'd need a few more great albums to be regarded in the same league as the bands above.

However, PJ are definitely one of the greatest bands around, and are definitely a tough contender to U2, as to who's the greatest live-band on the planet :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom