U2 3D Box Office Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjboog

Refugee
Success! Good opening weekend for U2 3D in the US!

Weekend: $946,000 from only 61 theatres
Per theatre average: $15,508 (highest of any film currently released)
Total Box Office after 5 days: $1,163,000

This is the highest per theater average in the domestic (U.S. and Canada) Top 40 and second highest in the Top 100 for the weekend. Only a small indie film ("4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days"), that was released at 2 theaters, had a better per theater average.

February 1-3

Weekend: $714,927
# of theatres: 61
Per theatre average: $11,720 (#2 behind Hannah Montana!)
Rank #22
% change from last weekend: -26%

US Total $2,147,766

The estimated average movie ticket this year is estimated to cost about $6.83. If you divide the total by the cost of a ticket, that means...

about 315,000 people have seen U2 3D in America so far.

The cost of a ticket to IMAX movies is higher than the average ticket price. I think our tickets were about $15-17 per :|

February 8-10

Weekend: $737,711
# of theatres: 61
Per theatre average: $12,093
% change from last weekend: +3.2%

US Total: $3,008,063

Good hold this weekend!

The film expanded last weekend. It is now playing in 686 theaters across the U.S. and Canada (an expansion of 646 theaters). It grossed $1,026,121 for the weekend (Fri. the 22nd through Sun. the 24th) bringing it's total to $4,842,900. The per theater gross was a more normal $1,495 (low for a moderate hit film, but expected for this type of movie at this time of year). It was the 19th highest grossing domestic (U.S. and Canada) film for the weekend.

As a follow-up, "Rattle & Hum" opened in 1,391 theaters domestically - which was HUGE for that time (1988). In other words, it saturated the market. Its final domestic gross was $8,600,823 in 1988 dollars, which converts to approximately $14.5M in 2008 dollars. If U2-3D can come even close to that amount, playing in less than half the theaters, I would consider this a huge success.

Lila64 said:
The cost of a ticket to IMAX movies is higher than the average ticket price. I think our tickets were about $15-17 per :|

It's $11.75 at the Henry Ford IMAX, I was surprised it was that low. :up:

doctorwho said:
As a follow-up, "Rattle & Hum" opened in 1,391 theaters domestically - which was HUGE for that time (1988). In other words, it saturated the market. Its final domestic gross was $8,600,823 in 1988 dollars, which converts to approximately $14.5M in 2008 dollars. If U2-3D can come even close to that amount, playing in less than half the theaters, I would consider this a huge success.

I imagine that they've made more from the RH tv syndication and VHS/DVD/HiDef release than on sheer Box Office Mojo.

Sorry I've been a way for a while. Here we go!!

4/25-27
Weekend Total: $100,960 (+92% from last week)
# of Theatres: 22 (+3 from last week)
Per Theatre Average: $4,589 (up from $2,771 last week)
Total US Box Office: $7,636,487

I don't know what's considered good or bad when looking at these numbers. Are these good? Is this considered a succesful film after this amount of time now then? Thanks for the updates!

Any final numbers for this thing? I like that it was actually increasing in per theatre average as of a month ago.

Domestic: $8,121,948 61.8%
+ Foreign: $5,020,096 38.2%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $13,142,044

source: boxofficemojo.com

U2 3D Finishes Ninth In Per Theater Average This Past Weekend

Looks like it's still a money maker for any theater showing it. Those are very impressive numbers. I think the real problem was oversaturation. It became too easy to see U2 3D in a lot of the major cities which then diluted the box office performance per theater, causing a lot of them to drop it (when the smart ones should have stuck with the film and seen the receipts go up as soon as the competing theaters stopped carrying it).

It made $52,690 this past weekend, improving 20.4% despite the premiere of The Dark Knight crippling everything.

Domestic Gross: $8,880,139 (53.6%)
Foreign Gross: $7,691,236 (46.4%)
Worldwide Total: $16,571,375

We still have absolutely no idea how much this release cost to produce and promote. There's usually a 50/50 cut between distributors and theater chains, so if it was under $8 million, it has been profitable. If $5 million is the estimate, it's made about $3 million worldwide which is impressive for a concert picture.

Thanks for the update! :up: I sure wish it would have stayed in San Diego longer. It was gone way too quickly.

We still have absolutely no idea how much this release cost to produce and promote. There's usually a 50/50 cut between distributors and theater chains, so if it was under $8 million, it has been profitable. If $5 million is the estimate, it's made about $3 million worldwide which is impressive for a concert picture.

I read somewhere that the budget was $15 million so I believe this film has a long way to go before it becomes profitable. If you simply consider the equipment used for filming and shooting at multiple locations and the post processing, it is easy to see them approaching that figure. I believe they will be closely watching home sales of the Hannah Montana 3D movie to determine viability of a similar U2 release.

I read somewhere that the budget was $15 million so I believe this film has a long way to go before it becomes profitable. If you simply consider the equipment used for filming and shooting at multiple locations and the post processing, it is easy to see them approaching that figure. I believe they will be closely watching home sales of the Hannah Montana 3D movie to determine viability of a similar U2 release.

Actually they said upfront that they didn't necessarily expect a profit. They got into it for the chance to work with new technology and provide a realistic way for people who can't afford to see U2 live to get at least a close approximation of a show. Also Bono is excited about the fact that this will show in countries they haven't been able to play in yet. They didn't have a distribution deal until after the Cannes festival. They were still in post production at that point and only had 55 minutes of film to show there so getting the distribution deal sealed probably allowed them more leeway to get the rest done. I think U2 actually partnered with 3ality so I'm not sure who was putting up what money or how much each contributed but Bono has definitely said they didn't worry about whether it would make a profit or not.

As for the home release they said they would want to wait until home viewing of 3D was of decent quality without being too exorbitantly priced but they always felt they would get there eventually. I don't think they are going to care about how Hannah Montana sells but rather would care more about being sure that people who buy it can expect a decent experience in watching it. They did say they would definitely not do a 2D release which makes sense because they already have the Chicago Vertigo DVD and the partial Milan show so no need to have this in 2D.

Dana

hmm what will be the next step? Receiving a pair of 3D glasses before entering the arena ? :hyper: then there will be no bad seats anymore...bono will come close in your face

hmm what will be the next step? Receiving a pair of 3D glasses before entering the arena ? :hyper: then there will be no bad seats anymore...bono will come close in your face

There are screens being worked on that would allow viewing of 3D without glasses. Now that would be nice for a tour.

Dana

I just visited my sister in DC where I saw U2 3D at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History Imax theater. I was so happy to see it was still playing there, and wowed when I actual got to see it on an Imax screen. :drool:

It is still playing in a few cities in the states, so check out the U23D website if you haven't seen it.

Looks like it's still a money maker for any theater showing it. Those are very impressive numbers. I think the real problem was oversaturation. It became too easy to see U2 3D in a lot of the major cities which then diluted the box office performance per theater, causing a lot of them to drop it (when the smart ones should have stuck with the film and seen the receipts go up as soon as the competing theaters stopped carrying it).

It made $52,690 this past weekend, improving 20.4% despite the premiere of The Dark Knight crippling everything.

Domestic Gross: $8,880,139 (53.6%)
Foreign Gross: $7,691,236 (46.4%)
Worldwide Total: $16,571,375

Wow, that's impressive. :applaud:

It was so good. :drool:

This weekend, it slid 12.5% from the previous weekend to earn $25,244. It's per screen average of $5,048 was enough for it to rank seventh in that category, earning more than Tropic Thunder & Death Race although slightly less than The House Bunny. Pretty good for a now-ancient release to be outdrawing all but one wide release. :up:

Domestic Total: $9,365,105
Worldwide Total: $7,702,66

Overall Total: $17,067,771

The film still has yet to crack a lot of foreign markets and will surely be more successful per-theater elsewhere than the US because the band has less fans here per capita than most places and has a lot of people that vehemently hate the group. In other words, this thing could end up making around $30M worldwide at most which is absolutely phenomenal. Cheers to the band, the production company & distributor for taking chances with new technology and having it succeed commercially moreso than ever expected. :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom