U2 3D - 2008 release date?? +

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From one of the writers over on atu2.com...

U2 3D: A Musical Mona Lisa
@U2
January 17, 2008
By Tassoula E. Kokkoris

Seeing U2 3D was sort of like attending a U2 concert without the headaches -- I didn’t have to battle with my Internet connection for a ticket, I wasn’t required to sleep on a sidewalk the night before and there was no need for a wristband or a number to secure my place in line. Basically, I just walked in. And I experienced a sensory explosion that was nearly as good as being there.

Aside from omitting the Arcade Fire cue to start the show, everything pretty much goes like clockwork. After the lights go out, the film begins with the “Everyone” chant that led us into each concert on the Vertigo tour. I got a tingle at the sight of Larry Mullen Jr (the first band member shown) and felt a surge of joy when Bono shouted “Uno, dos tres, catorce!” The energy was good, the camera was all over the place, and I was glad to see that the folks in front of me were throwing their arms up in motion with the music. But they weren’t. And this is where it gets cool -- the people “in front of me” were virtual. Hence the sensation that I was enjoying a real show.

After I realized said people were part of the film, it became easier to focus on specific objects. For instance, I would’ve put my life on the fact The Edge’s microphone stand was hovering a few feet in front of me and that Larry’s drink was on a counter just across my lap. It really was that magnificent.

What was also wonderful was how the director eased the audience into the big shots. The first time Bono sings to you, I promise you your heart will beat faster because he comes at you slowly, in a meaningful way. The same is true for the eye contact you enjoy with the band members throughout the set. It’s similar to what everyone claims when they see the Mona Lisa -- the eyes follow you.

Viewing a show from this perspective also allows more visual freedom to see all four men. When you’re in concert, you can’t help but focus on one person at a time, and let’s face it, that person is usually Bono. In this case, you have no choice but to watch Adam Clayton rocking his bass line in “New Year’s Day” or The Edge singing backup during “The Fly.” It’s an equal opportunity movie and the four stars have never been so fairly filmed.

That said, it also brings perhaps too much clarity to silly moments like Bono’s “bird” move during “Beautiful Day,” and his headband crawl during “Bullet the Blue Sky.” If anything, it shows how something done in the moment feels spontaneous, but reflected upon later may appear ridiculous.

Most disappointing were the glaring omissions of live set standards, such as “Elevation” and “Until the End of the World.” Both of those songs are consistently electric on tour, so it begs the question of why they weren’t included. Also noticeably absent was the beautifully lit “City of Blinding Lights.” I was anticipating the 3D confetti that would “fall” into my lap, but it never came.

The standout performances in this film are “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” especially as Bono reaches out to “wipe your tears away,” and a riveting “Miss Sarajevo,” that could easily serve as an unofficial tribute to the late Luciano Pavarotti.

Also moving was seeing the U.N. Declaration of Human Rights scan along the screen in a different language. I’ve never been to a U2 show in a non-English speaking country, so it was especially meaningful to watch the reactions of fans and realize that the sentiment doesn’t get lost in translation.

Above all, that’s what this revolutionary film has achieved -- it’s bottled an experience many describe as religious and reproduced it in a format that most fans have the potential to access. Those who have never seen U2 live will be overwhelmed by its effect; veteran concertgoers will salivate for the next tour.

The personal connection U2 is famous for shines in this three dimensional light, and that, coupled with a crystal clear audio accompaniment, results in cinema utopia.

If only it had been the length of an actual concert.

U2 3D opens in select cities on January 23. Join @U2 for special showings in Boston and Seattle on January 26. Visit our event page for details.

© @U2/Kokkoris, 2008.

I can't wait!!! :yippie:

Just booked for Manchester IMAX ( UK ) for 22nd February for me and the boyfriend. Its not near enough to go on opening night here, but would much rather wait a day and see it at the IMAX than go to my local 3D screen. :drool::hyper:

:combust:

^ if you are in the US, then it will probably be feb.15 if that theater is not imax, and jan.23 if the theater is imax.
the theater list is actually updated and more complete than it was a few days ago. head over to u23dmovie.com and press "find a theater" to see! =)

Any Tampa people? The Channelside IMAX shows as an available theater, but the "Find Tickets" link does not work, and I can't get a hold of anybody there. I'm MAD!!!!

The closest to me that it's showing is 2 1/2 hours :grumpy:

I'm going to a conference down in the city at the end of the month, though :hmm:

^

No, that's not right.
Almost double.
I think I remember reading here that is 82 minutes.

U2SJ said:
ANyone have luck getting tix for SF yet? How long do you think this movie will play in the IMAX?

No, not yet, U2SJ.
Fandango still has no showtimes available for the Metreon on Jan 25th.

Movies.com goes up till Thursday Jan 24th now.
They were up till Wednesday yesterday.
So I guess, they'll have Friday up tomorrow.

Last edited:
AngelofHarlem01 said:
My newspaper reports that it's only 45 minutes long..is that right??? :huh:

NO ...ITS 82 TO 84MIN.. It's at least an hour and 20min..

newspaper is wrong and is probably going off the Cannes Film Festival version. That one that they screened there was 50min..

What's with this shit of U23D not showing in Calgary or Edmonton? I can't find it listed anywhere. I can deal with the fact fact that the band might skip Calgary and Edmonton for concerts. They never came here untill Popmart and they skipped Alberta for the Vertigo tour but I'll be seriously pissed off if we actually get passed over by the movie too. I so hope I'm wrong but as far as I can tell it's not showing in either Calgary or Edmonton. BULLSHIT!:censored:

Somebody help me out here cause I'm honestly losing it. Is this movie truely only showing in Halifax, Winnipeg and Vancouver as far as screenings in Canada go? I'm about to lose my mind. This really fucking irritates me. You wait a year to see this damn thing and then a week before it's release you find out that the closest place it's playing is a 13 hour drive away. Real nice. I live an hour from both Calgary and Edmonton and both cities have IMAX theatres yet it's a no show.

unico said:
OMG I AM SO TIRED OF THIS FREAKING TOWN!!! I just asked the local theater if they were playing it, and NO!! They are not. But you know what they will be showing? That's right, Hanna Montana in 3D.

I need to GTFO and stat. That is just ridic.

Short ride to Raleigh, unico! You know you'd do it for Guster. :wink:

Hallucination said:
Somebody help me out here cause I'm honestly losing it. Is this movie truely only showing in Halifax, Winnipeg and Vancouver as far as screenings in Canada go? I'm about to lose my mind. This really fucking irritates me. You wait a year to see this damn thing and then a week before it's release you find out that the closest place it's playing is a 13 hour drive away. Real nice. I live an hour from both Calgary and Edmonton and both cities have IMAX theatres yet it's a no show.

From what I understand, the movie will be released in Canada on a gradual basis, with it being in full release by mid-February. This means it opens next week in Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg (no offense to any Manitobans, but wtf? Why not Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa etc..). I think we should be able to see if on February 15,

if anyone is in Arizona, I saw this in an email alert:

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/movies/articles/0119u2movieblurb0122.html

See U2 movie for free
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 19, 2008 10:14 AM
Don't want to wait until Wednesday to see U2 3D - and don't want to pay to see it? There is a free screening Tuesday, Jan. 22, at 7 p.m. at the IMAX Theater Arizona Mills at 5000 Arizona Mills Circle. The movie is worth seeing - look for a full review in Wednesday's Arizona Republic - and you can't beat the price.

Oh man!

Less than a week and still SF showtimes are not up.
Even though, the u2 3d movie website has : get tickets

Really weird.
Wonder what's going on.

BonoManiac said:

From what I understand, the movie will be released in Canada on a gradual basis, with it being in full release by mid-February. This means it opens next week in Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg (no offense to any Manitobans, but wtf? Why not Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa etc..). I think we should be able to see if on February 15,

That would be awesome. I'd be extremely dissapointed if I were to miss this. Not only is it U2 it's a landmark film. First ever so to say you saw it is cool in it's own right. Thanks for the info BonoManiac.

Go Habs!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom