U2 26th best selling album in 2001

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vox626

The Fly
On billboard.com I found the year end results for albums and singles. U2 came in at 26 above a lot of big names. Not bad since the album was released a year before! Janet Jackson was #25 i think. In case you wanted to know, the Beatles were # 1.

I am assuming that this is USA stats, as they should be a lot higher in worldwide. Plus, 2001 isn't over YET!

------------------
HEY BABY, HEY BABY- HEY !(GWEN)

Proud to be an INFIDEL

This is very interesting. The tricky part is that U2 sold over a million copies in 2000, and this is only counting 2001. What is odd to me, is I just saw the Rolling Stone end of the year issue and they have Shaggy as number 1 and the Beatles at number 10, yet I believe all their chart info comes from Billboard!?!?! Wierd.

Yes Billboard is only U.S. numbers and U2 would be much higher on a worldwide chart.

Originally posted by womanfish:
This is very interesting. The tricky part is that U2 sold over a million copies in 2000, and this is only counting 2001. What is odd to me, is I just saw the Rolling Stone end of the year issue and they have Shaggy as number 1 and the Beatles at number 10, yet I believe all their chart info comes from Billboard!?!?! Wierd.

Yes Billboard is only U.S. numbers and U2 would be much higher on a worldwide chart.

Plus everyone knows that the American public has awful taste in music.

The Billboard Year ran from the week ending DEC 2 2000 to the week ending NOV 25 2001! Only two weeks were cut off from U2s total with the first week being NOV 18, 2000 and then NOV 25, 2000. This meant that ATYCLB had a combined 604,000 copies missing from its year end total. The difference in sales between many albums on that chart is small enough that if those two weeks had been included, U2 would have been in the top 15 for the year.
U2 had the #5 album in the USA back in 1992. Of course, every week, from the first big sales week until the cut off at the end of the following year made the chart.
Of course, if you release the album in JUNE, then your really in trouble because the chart year would cut your sells in two. So total sales are more significant, and of course WORLDWIDE sales is really the key. Its good to know that worldwide, there really are a lot of people with good taste in music.

Originally posted by alreadygone:
...Most of the stuff that the American public loves I wouldn't even call music.

*ducks and runs for cover*

--
Just play another chord
If you feel you're getting bored

No, you're completely right. I think about the list of "artists" *cough* *cough* that we have around now: Papa Roach, Korn, Slipknot, Drowning Pool, Limp Bizkit, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, and I just shake my head. As I posted elsewhere, that's the major reason why I'm checking out the whole speed/thrash/power metal genre -
Iced Earth being one of my favorite of the groups. They play metal sort of in the line of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

------------------
"Yeah, we'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter night. One heart, one hope, one love."

Back
Top Bottom