Two Shots'a Happy and One Shot'a Sad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Just got this off iTunes the other day... wow!! I mean I knew the 90's were a good decade, but as I discover even the bsides and unreleased stuff from this era I continue to be impressed. What a fantastic song. Great singing from Bono, and very epic, clever lyrics. :up:

What other unreleased stuff do you dig? And can anyone direct me in the uh,direction of the Salome outtakes or whatever they're called?

COBL_04 said:
Just got this off iTunes the other day... wow!! I mean I knew the 90's were a good decade, but as I discover even the bsides and unreleased stuff from this era I continue to be impressed. What a fantastic song. Great singing from Bono, and very epic, clever lyrics. :up:

What other unreleased stuff do you dig? And can anyone direct me in the uh,direction of the Salome outtakes or whatever they're called?

:drool: this is a cool song, great clip too .
and yeah i can help you out with Salome the lost AB sessions... :flirt:
hard copy though not upload..

That youtube link is the only version of Two Shots ive ever heard... ive been meaning to get a copy of the studio version from the sainty kiosk for ages... I love the live version, really beautiful :drool:

I actually heard 'got you under my skin' at the end of the movie 'Junior', but thats another one i'll be buying when i get around to it- only heard it once and loved it...

Wow, there's a live version????

mysterious_jen said:

when is that happening ? :hmm: thinks of the things i could pm you about :flirt: :evil:

Lol i don't know im giving up soon I reckon :lol: it's been three weeks tomorrow I think, so maybe it has been lost in transition. Ah well.

thats what pains me the mostt!!!!!!

Acrobat Angel said:
That youtube link is the only version of Two Shots ive ever heard... ive been meaning to get a copy of the studio version from the sainty kiosk for ages... I love the live version, really beautiful :drool:

I actually heard 'got you under my skin' at the end of the movie 'Junior', but thats another one i'll be buying when i get around to it- only heard it once and loved it...

lucky enough to get got you under my skin as a set with my zooropa cd which was cool :up:

totallly fell in love and :combust: at those raspy bono vocals

Last edited:
COBL_04 said:

Lol i don't know im giving up soon I reckon :lol: it's been three weeks tomorrow I think, so maybe it has been lost in transition. Ah well.

thats what pains me the mostt!!!!!!

:hmm: email elvis about it ?

the joy of paypal baby , no hassles :drool:

except it makes spending the hard earned dosh so easy :wink:

I LOVE two shots, it's a shame they never got Frank Sinatra to record it.

Call me stupid, but I don't think that there is a "studio" version of this song. I believe that only the live/orchestra version for the Sinatra tribute was recorded, this is all I have on audio and all I ever heard of this song.

:scratch:

btw, does anyone have the video as a download? I think it really is :drool: .

There mightn't be a studio version- don't know- I just assumed there was one :shrug:
I would love to have heard Frank do a version of it too- that would of been special...

"This song was sung by Bono during Frank Sinatra's 80th birthday television special. Here's his introduction to the song:
"Hello Los Angeles. Everybody at the shrine. Hello Frank, Barbra. I'm sorry, the band wouldn't let me off work. But, uh, so I'm gonna send you this song anyway. It's a song I've pitched to you about 80 times. Maybe now that I've got your undivided attention, you'll give it another listen."
Several U2 books mention Bono's attempts to get Frank to record the song, especially when Bono was recording his part of I've Got You Under My Skin.
It's a very lounge-like song, and I think it would be very well suited to Mr. Sinatra's voice, but Bono sounds great, too.This song was released in December 1997 as a b-side to the If God Will Send His Angels single. As far as I can tell, it's simply a clean recording (no audience noise) of Bono's TV performance."

From www.songmeanings.net

Explains why he says happy birthday frank at the end.

COBL_04 said:

Apart from the Frank Sinatra Tribute version, they've never really performed this song live. Bono did sing some verses in concert, once. That was in Antwerp during the Elevation Tour (5 August 2001).
Someone in the crowd requested this song. Bono said he didn't knew the words to it, but sang a verse anyway. They then played Stay and after that song Bono again sang (a capella) some parts from Two Shots...

It was great to witness that moment! :drool:

Fantastic song, some of Bono's very best lyrics. The B Side version on IGWSHA is a cleaned up rendition, on the original you can hear the sound of the audience applauding during the orchestral part. I think this can only really be classed as a Bono song as I don't think any of the rest of the band play on it.

BTW, does anyone know what year he sang this, is it 94,95 or 96?

Ah its OK I just read Peterrrs reply.

DevilsShoes said:
I think this can only really be classed as a Bono song as I don't think any of the rest of the band play on it.

The Edge is also certainly on that track. He plays the 'underwater guitar'. Don't think Adam and Larry were present though. Still, they released this as a U2 song, so it's a U2 song in my book. :)

Yeah I just went and watched the video Popmartijn. Probably should have done that before posting. :wink:

COBL_04 said:
What's your email last unicorn? I'll send you the studio version if you send me the live version :drool:
COBL, it's the same version, it was only performed once, they just cut out the audience. In the end, Bono says: Happy Birthday, Frank.
The video is also cool, I love how Edge is hiding somewhere in a corner with his guitar.
Has anyone seen the Off The Records interview, Bono is singing parts of Two Shots there, he obviously struggles to remember the lyrics, it's quite funny, but also interesting to hear his story about the song.

I fekin love this song and alays have. Very similar in feel to Love Is Blindness.
This is what makes U2 so special to me. I cant think of many other bands that could do this song, or Slow Dancing, Love Rescue Me, Luiceille and then come out with Mofo , The Fly and Zoo Station. Man...they really are special!!

This is one of my favorite B-sides. It's a lot different than what U2 was doing at that time, but it's such a great song. I think it really lets Bono show off his range. There aren't high notes so much as big notes, parts where he really has to belt it out.

I wish they would've done a B-sides disc with Best of 90-00, because this and too many other great B-sides from that era are falling through the cracks.

If you like this you should also listen to the alt. version of If You Wear That Velvet Dress that Bono did with Gavin Friday. It's awesome too.

shart1780 said:
If you like this you should also listen to the alt. version of If You Wear That Velvet Dress that Bono did with Gavin Friday. It's awesome too.

He did a version with Gavin Friday? :eyebrow: Didn't know about that one. I do know Bono re-recorded it with Jools Holland and his Orchestra. Are you referring to that version?

Back
Top Bottom