Toronto 2 Setlist - The boys at their very worst (Crap show)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soctheo

The Fly
Am I the only one that feels tonights performance in Toronto (Wednesday) was a joke. Did u2 have a party to go to at the Toronto film festival and they skipped four songs in favour of NOTHING.

Monday's show was killer. Tonights show was as lame as it gets. I hate to criticize U2 but if they are going to shortchange their fans like this, Vertigo should be their last tour. Bono mentioned during the concert that the tour almost never happened. After tonights show, I wish they scrapped the tour. I have never heard so many negative comments leaving a U2 show.

Observations from Tonight
1>I will follow, In a Little While, zoo station, fast car all skipped tonight in favour 0 new songs. u2 deserves a slap for skipping zoo station altogether.

2>Bono repeated word for word everything he said from Monday's show (it felt like deja vu). Some of his jokes that were funny on Monday came off completely lame hearing them a second time tonight.

3>Bad was awful. Danois Lanois was pulled onstage half way through it and even he couldn't save it. Worst version of bad I have ever heard

4>None of the rumoured songs were played tonight. No Discotheque or Mofo.

5>They open again with Vertigo (what happened to switching the opening song)?

6>I think Bono should drink more coke. His stage presence on this tour is non existant and not really exciting.

The only good moments in the show were Electric Co (still the highlight of the show for me), WTSHNN, The Fly and COBL.

Overall, the boys need to get their act together quick for Friday and Saturday.
Another lame ass performance like tonight and they officially lose their best band in the world job title......

Monday's show - 9.5/10
Wednesday - 5/10

BTW, here's the setlist from tonights show.

Main Set: Vertigo, The Electric Co., Elevation, Beautiful Day, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, City of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Miss Sarajevo, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One

Encore(s): The Fly, With or Without You, All Because of You, Yahweh, Bad

i didn't know that U2 had a quota to meet as far as how many songs they have to play/per dollar spent on tickets.

i'll agree that the setlist wasn't that great tonight. but i think we need to be thankful that U2 is still touring into their mid-40's. to expect them to be as energetic and innovative as they were 15 years ago is simply unrealistic.

Your right Mikal - U2 can do whatever they want and they can play 5 minutes if they choose but in my opinion, fans coming to Wednesday's show are just as important as the one's that went to Monday's show.
They deserve a great show and U2 did not deliver.

In every u2 show I've been to (including Monday's), u2 had a certain something that made it feel more than just a rock show. Tonight, I felt like I was watching just another band playing an arena.

Bottom line - regardless of how many songs they played, their performance was average.

energy is something that they dont need as much as presence. this was a lme show. all the rumors of mofo and discotheque and the change of the setlist...all a bad joke. u2 has lost the spark that set the flame.

The funny part is the people from the concert who showed up at the end of the setlist party were raving about how great it was.

All I can say is the people in my section (section 120) were half asleep.

If i didn't attend Monday's show, maybe I would be more enthusiastic about tonight's performance but Monday was so great.

Bottom line, tonight was a letdown for me. But everyone has their opinion and I respect that. Im hoping for great things to happen for shows 3 and 4 in Toronto.

Bruce Springsteen is older than U2. And yet he doesn't :censored: his fans like this.

so because you personally don't like the sets U2 are playing at shows you didn't even attend, that means the band is fucking you over?

maybe they took out all the cool songs from monday because so many people fucking bitched about the setlist STILL not being original or different enough.

Edge: "I read on many message boards that people were not impressed with 'In A Little While' and the setlist"

Larry: "Fine, then fuck 'em... let's see how they like THIS setlist"

Adam: "Wankers..."

mikal said:
so because you personally don't like the sets U2 are playing at shows you didn't even attend, that means the band is fucking you over?

Palace_Hero has already answered you - nice to see that at least some people are still capable of reading a sentence without immediately jumping to false conclusions.

This is what happens when Bono sings 6 days in a row.

9th - rehearsals/telethons
10th - rehearsals/telethons
11th - rehearsals/telethons(were they tape-delay?)
12th - T.O. 1(+ soundcheck?)
13th - off-day soundcheck(Mofo/Discoteque etc.)
14th - T.O. 2 (no soundcheck?)

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
14th - T.O. 2 (no soundcheck?)

There was a soundcheck - Discotheque was heard rehearsed pre-show - but I saw no mention of Bono's vocals. Could anyone who listened in say if Bono was involved in the soundcheck?

Axver said:

There was a soundcheck - Discotheque was heard rehearsed pre-show - but I saw no mention of Bono's vocals. Could anyone who listened in say if Bono was involved in the soundcheck?

Do we even know for sure it was U2 soundchecking on the 13th and not their roadies? Since they seem to be doing most of their pre show soundchecks.

Last edited:
Here's a thought:

I saw U2 at Manchester, UK on the Elevation Tour and the Vertigo Tour - first night in each case. Each time I was one of the first to get tickets in the scramble... then they added another show...
If you checkout the setlists, they often add the newer or more interesting stuff the second night (see several posts about Europe shows)
So the hardcore fans who rush for tickets get to see the first (straight) show and those who mop up the 2nd night see the more interesting set.
But that was reversed in Toronto. Sounds like the first night crowd was up for it and the 2nd night were tame. Maybe U2 realised that?
So maybe Toronto2 being less interesting was justice? Just a thought... any comments?

Huh?!

I Completely Disagree... The Second Show Was Great... The
Crowd Was Into It...

The Problem Is This, U2 Concerts Are Something Different
From Other Bands.. I've Seen A Ton of Concerts And U2's
Are Always The Best.. Not Only For The Stage Show, But
Also Crowd Wise..

People Who Sit There And Say That Bono Has Lost
His Stage Presents, Thats Bullshit.. Still The Best
Man In The Business By A Mile!

It's OFFICIAL - Toronto Got Fuc:censored:ed

What I thought was very interesting was in last night's setlist party people were actually "disapointed" they played BAD. :rant:.

Un Fuc :censored: ing real. Get a clue.:mad:

I'm not going to anymore setlist parties. Last night's was my first and last. :tsk: Most people bitching about the setlist had no clue, weren't there, hadn't seen a show on this tour yet, still have dillusions of grandeur that U2 will play some obscure B-Side, etc.

As for the Mofo/D-teque thing: they're a band, they like to fool around from time to time, probably just to mess with forums such as this one. It doesn't mean squat what they play in a sound check.

Phi, I couldn't agree more!

I think maybe all of us should lay of a bit.

We're all spoiled rotten when we are able to see them more than once on one tour.

Try to see and listen to these shows as if it was your first one, and not knowing anything about setlists or whatever.

Then you wouldn't be bitching about 'futilities' :shrug:

i was at both shows and even though i thought mondays show was heads and tails above wednesday's show i still really enjoyed myself. i was disappointed that they dropped 4 songs which weren't replaced with anything but what can ya do? there was a few technical glitches (part of the elipse didnt light up for part of the show, etc) and bono forgot some words but all in all it was still a good show. i guess i was just disappointed that the new rehersed songs never made it into the setlist

but i think that the crowd was much better and more into it than mondays show. also like daniel lanois making an appearance. :up:

Sweet Tart said:
bono forgot some words but all in all it was still a good show. i guess i was just disappointed that the new rehersed songs never made it into the setlist

what songs could bono possibly be forgetting words to? :huh:

they have been performing the same songs for months now

The band arrived really late yesterday and the main doors were not open until half an hour later than on Monday so I'm presuming some sort of soundcheck (quickie) was going on. Somebody in line said Bono was actually in NYC yesterday (can anybody confirm?).

Monday's show way way better. The crowd really didn't seem any different though to me, at least from where I was on the floor, so I'm not sure where the complaints are coming from. There were some technical issues with the light curtains as well (wrong colours lighting up in a row or two when the flags were hanging down and so on).

It was a bit strange that they cut out songs and didn't replace them with anything. But Bad was not Bad.

U2Man said:

Palace_Hero has already answered you - nice to see that at least some people are still capable of reading a sentence without immediately jumping to false conclusions.

it's obvious that you can't handle a simple question. i read your post, but i knew your tone. is my conclusion actually false, or is your lame attemp at an insult a factor of defensiveness?

Palace_Hero said:

No, U2man implied U2 was fucking their fans over. He never implied they were fucking him specifically over.

Well, U2man doesnt speak for me and I'm a U2 fan. So how can he represent all U2 fans? He cant, its his personal opinion that U2 screwing their fans from his personal perspective. Dont make it look like all U2 fans are pissed, because a majority arent.

Comparing the setlist from last night to others I have to say its not one of the best. Especially compared to night 1 in Toronto. U2 has off nights, it happens. Night one in Chicago on the first leg was one of the worst U2 shows they have done IMO. They made up for it with the following three. They have 2 more shows there and I suspect it will change. I also think false expectations were placed on the show because some heard Mofo and Discotheque being worked on in soundcheck. Doesnt mean they get played. It may not have even been U2 doing it, could have been their techs. Even if it was, they probably will practice them a few times before they play them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom