Time to vote! Should Mercy be on the next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should Mercy be included on the next album?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 191 65.2%
  • No, never!

Votes: 29 9.9%
  • No but maybe as a Bonus track!

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • No but maybe as a B-side!

Votes: 46 15.7%

• Total voters
nope. i'm very fussy about what threads i open round here based on the titles.

Does any one have a copy of mercy for those of us who haven't heard it? Would love to hear it and add my 2 cents.

Yes, I want it on the album! Why, I want it to be remasterd. But they shouldn touch anything else in the song. It just a perfetc as it can be. Jus need to be remasterd.

Bonos vocals is as near as possible his ZooTV/Zoorpa voice, in the song it is like he just have discover his new voice and he just plays with the notes and test his voice.

And a good reason for it to be on the new album is that it will be available for everyone, for those who never download from internet and don't buy singels and get the b-sides(if Mercy went to be a b-side). And also if it is on the new album there will be defenitly played live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Peterrrrr said:
Yes, I want it on the album! Why, I want it to be remasterd. But they shouldn touch anything else in the song. It just a perfetc as it can be. Jus need to be remasterd.

Well, I respect your opinion, however I disagree with it.
I would, like many others would too, rather see a completely new U2 song on the next album.

It would be the best thing to release it as a B-side, slightly fixed up perhaps, now that it's been leaked, and put another song in it's place on the record.
I would indeed be a shame not to hear it live, but other B-sides has been played live before.
Spanish Eyes, Satelite of Love, and Sweetest Thing are a few examples of that, so it might show up in the setlist after all.

So in short: Mercy as a B-side for me.

I agree with the B-side... Don't get me wrong, I love the song but I want U2 to make something different on the next album... I'm very found of Mercy's lyrics... if they made a slightly different melody... That I would love to hear! Who knows?

If It went as a b-side it won't get that attention that it deserve, if it is on the new album it will be played more often live. Also if it will be released on a b-side it will not be famous for people who only buy the album and never buy singels.

Peterrrrr said:
Also if it will be released on a b-side it will not be famous for people who only buy the album and never buy singels.

1) There's always the internet and iTunes is a legal option too, so you don't have to download it through other sources that isn't.
I believe U2 released the bomb on iTunes so I figure they might to it again for next time.

2) If one decides to wait there's gonna be another best of (I hope) including the b-sides and I doubt Mercy won't be on that.

I admit that you got me on the live issue, but as I said, it's not impossible for Mercy to turn up at a setlist in the future as other B-sides have done.

Who expected "Party Girl" instead of "Yahweh" in Gothenburg when they had played "Yahweh" at all of the concerts before that one except Gelsenkirchen which was more than a month before the gig in Sweden?

The_Edge89 said:

1) There's always the internet and iTunes is a legal option too, so you don't have to download it through other sources that isn't.
I believe U2 released the bomb on iTunes so I figure they might to it again for next time.

2) If one decides to wait there's gonna be another best of (I hope) including the b-sides and I doubt Mercy won't be on that.

I admit that you got me on the live issue, but as I said, it's not impossible for Mercy to turn up at a setlist in the future as other B-sides have done.

Who expected "Party Girl" instead of "Yahweh" in Gothenburg when they had played "Yahweh" at all of the concerts before that one except Gelsenkirchen which was more than a month before the gig in Sweden?

1. Still there are many fans that don't use internet, that isnt as crazy as some fans are. Some fans only go and buy the albums and see them live, not visting web sites etc.

Since U2 did not release Mercy as a B-side already, it seems almost for sure that they plan to rework it for a future album. So for all of those who say they don't want to hear an old song on a new album, I think it would almost surely be an updated version. This could obviously be good or bad - I'm sure many here would hate to see the song changed at all. I think it meanders a bit in the middle and could stand to be tightened up. Not that I'm hoping for U2 to gloss it up so that it loses it airiness or whatever it is that people like about it.

But I think a new version of Mercy stands a good chance to be very excellent.

drt4 said:
Since U2 did not release Mercy as a B-side already, it seems almost for sure that they plan to rework it for a future album. So for all of those who say they don't want to hear an old song on a new album, I think it would almost surely be an updated version. This could obviously be good or bad - I'm sure many here would hate to see the song changed at all. I think it meanders a bit in the middle and could stand to be tightened up. Not that I'm hoping for U2 to gloss it up so that it loses it airiness or whatever it is that people like about it.

But I think a new version of Mercy stands a good chance to be very excellent.

Nooooooooooo :sad: It has a special spirit, it should only be remastred. Bonos voice is so perfect and I don't think he is ready to sing like that again after over a year over hard touring.

do a google search for U2 mercy mp3 and you'll find it in like 3 seconds.

gareth brown said:
still listen to this, smile and think that it's probably the best thing they've written in around 12-13 years! :D was listening to it yesterday and the way the bass goes with the opening distorted guitar loop is absolutely fantastic! keep hearing things in a different way each time i listen to it.

should end side one of the next record. :up:

THAT IS CRAP IMO, SO AM I TO BELIEVE MERCY IS BETTER THAN BEAUTIFUL DAY, ELEVATION, SIAMYCGOO, VERTIGO...I THINK NOT

zepher25 said:

THAT IS CRAP IMO, SO AM I TO BELIEVE MERCY IS BETTER THAN BEAUTIFUL DAY, ELEVATION, SIAMYCGOO, VERTIGO...I THINK NOT

There's no need to call other people's opinions "crap". Have some respect for difference of opinions.

Actually, it's not that I don't think it should be on the album or it should. I think it needs to be remade. Let's take it from a Native Son and make it a Vertigo. :)

^Honestly, I think it NEEDS to be remade. I don't think that the band will put it out in its current form, knowing that half of U2 fandom has heard it already.

zepher25 said:

Mercy play in another league, its up there with Bad,One, Love Is Blindess, The Unforgettable Fire, Wild Irish rose, Nigth And Day and Acrobat.

I my opinion I can't see how Elevation is a masterpiece?

The other songs you named are real good ones, but the songs I made is deep songs and I think that is waht makes a masterpeice.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
are we allowed to call the song crap?

I'd personally prefer people not be so crass, but technically you can call a song crap, but I can't call your opinion of a song being crap crap.

Get it?

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom