Thoughts about the new stage design? + Rolling Stone re: T H E C L A W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's too big! I wish they would just do a stripped down arena show :scream:

Are you kiddin' me?? That's exactly what their last two tours were!! I'm pretty stoked U2 is finally doing stadiums again, it's been over 10 years - COME ON!!

hahaha you guys really crack me up. I cant wait untill the white covers at the side come up. You can do some amazing things with withe textile/fabric/whatever.

I feel sorry for the first few shows of this tour///// They will have no feel for the stage or its potential for weeks. That is the one problem with staging the biggest badest stage ever. IF you cant build it to have it for rehearsal then you have folks pay to have you rehearse.
Not that the music and show wont be phat it just wont be anything like it will be 15 shows later.....
If I remember Popmart was similar as was zoo.
That is why I am glad they are playing Europe before bringing it over the pond for our enjoyment.

:applaud::hyper::love:

The big problem with Popmart was that the album wasn't finished, while the stadium tour had already been booked. First leg of Popmart was not good, because the band didn't have time to rehearse at all. The POP album was released in March1997, while the tour started in April 1997.

The band will not make that mistake again; we had a promo tour, the band know how to play the new songs and obviously they are figuring out several setlist options. The creative team will be involved too; certainly Willie Williams will have a concept ready of what the show will have to look like.

Nevertheless, it will take a few shows before the tour will take off big time, but I'm not afraid of screw ups.... The show will evolve throughout the tour, but that's a good thing.

I remember the Vertigo concert in Brussels (first night Open Air) on the big stage; the band played a proper show even though it was a first night on the outdoor stage.. A few weeks later the show had grown and the band adjusted the setlist here there.

IMHO the excitement of seeing the band on stage again after 4 years will do the trick. I'm looking forward to my 19th, 20th and 21st show

As of right now, PopMart seems more impressive, but it'll be better once it's finished. As far as it not fitting in Domes... PopMart has a show or two where they had to alter the stage cause it wouldn't fit. The jammed it into an arena in Australia.

SMB

To some degree that sentiment is correct. There is nothing about the stage so far that is not more technically advanced then the arch of the Popmart stage.

So far.

Wait til the whizbang.

I think Willie has matured past the lemon/olive stage of his career.

If there really is going to be an expandable screen, I am sure it will be very cool.

Great new vid/photos. It looks like that smaller white structure at the top/middle will be support for the spire.. not the screen as once thought. I can't wait until this thing is all put together. Those who think PopMart was more impressive will most likely change their minds when they see this thing complete. As BVS said, this is just the stage stripped down to its most basic framework. I haven't crunched all the numbers, but it appears to me that you could fit 3 of the completed PopMart stages inside of this thing. I believe the advertised height of 164 feet (with spire), is equal to the height of the PopMart screen .... if you turned it on its end.

And for those who would like a stripped down show.. I agree with others that we've seen that for two go-arounds over the past decade. It's time for something big again. Bigger is not always better, but I think the imagery during a show is nearly as important as the music. This will be like a huge empty canvas for Willie Williams to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom