Thoughts about the new stage design? + Rolling Stone re: T H E C L A W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an architect, the steel photos are making me drool.

I actually think what we have seen does not look that large. It looks like one of the bases of the claw where the truss splits in two directions.

I think we all need to hope it simply gets painted (or powder coated) black with no fabric covering. That way it would disappear when the lights go down. The fabric would be a hinderance.

I actually thought they might be using standard tower crane segments for the legs, but these seem to be custom fabricated.

:drool:

As an architect, the steel photos are making me drool.

I actually think what we have seen does not look that large. It looks like one of the bases of the claw where the truss splits in two directions.

I think we all need to hope it simply gets painted (or powder coated) black with no fabric covering. That way it would disappear when the lights go down. The fabric would be a hinderance.

I actually thought they might be using standard tower crane segments for the legs, but these seem to be custom fabricated.

:drool:

I work with architects and building product manufacturers. Architects are the most educated and highly licensed professionals in the U.S., more than even doctors.

So, :bow:

(I'm headed to the AIA National Convention on Wed.)

I vote for a flat black coating. Can they powder coat parts that large or would that be more of an electrostatic thing?

Mark

I work with architects and building product manufacturers. Architects are the most educated and highly licensed professionals in the U.S., more than even doctors.

(I'm headed to the AIA National Convention on Wed.)

I vote for a flat black coating. Can they powder coat parts that large or would that be more of an electrostatic thing?

Mark

Ah - cool.

Yes - they can powder coat it - the difficulty is that as it is toured, the paint will no doubt chip and it will be hard to re-powder coat it in-situ.

I am sure they will use a flat black spray that they can touch up throughout the tour.

how funny is that, the stage is build in Belgium, but they're not coming to Belgium for the tour. Thank you U2.

Mark

HAHAHAHAHA According to George Costanza: there is NOTHING higher - than architect.

U2 360 tour Set Design: Behind The Scenes Sneak Preview

Designer Willie Williams shared with Live Design this behind-the scenes look at the building of the set for the upcoming U2 360° tour. This shot from April 15 shows an inverted section of the main support structure, currently under construction at StageCo in Wechter, Belgium. Williams notes that test builds of the structure commence May 12, while simultaneous test builds of the video screen, designed by Chuck Hoberman and Frederic Opsomer, take place in the Antwerp Sportpalais, while the main stage is being built at Tait Towers in Lititz, PA. “And it's all very big,” says Williams.

Stay tuned for ongoing updates regarding the design and build of U2’s highly anticipated tour.

U2_360tour.jpg

GET HYPE! :hyper::bonodrum:

Now that I think about it...what do they do about lightning protection on outdoor stages?

There was lightning in Sydney for Popmart without a problem, but the spike in the center of the Claw (the Bonor) seems like a lightning rod itself.

Mark

Now that I think about it...what do they do about lightning protection on outdoor stages?

There was lightning in Sydney for Popmart without a problem, but the spike in the center of the Claw (the Bonor) seems like a lightning rod itself.

Mark

Good question and it is something that is always thought about. I know all stages are grounded, I am just not sure what neutral metal where they conenct the wires under the stage to.

I remember reading a story about a band that did not ground their stage and the whole thing created an electrical field during a rain storm because of the equipment, not lighting , and they had to call the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom