Thoughts about the new stage design? + Rolling Stone re: T H E C L A W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they really need a turning stage?

I mean think about it, haven't they pretty much already played in the round during Elevation? They did a great job acknowledging the crowd in the back of the stage. I'm sure they'll do it again now. With the advent of cordless mics and guitars it makes the turning stage unnecessary. Not to mention the fact that its gimmicky anyway.

just my thoughts on that.

I'Celine Dion 1999 Euro tour also looked similar to this design. There was another Euro 360 stadium tour but I can't remember the act. The Stageco website has some photos of Celine's setup.

I was thinking of posting some youtube links to Celine stadium setup, but I didn't want to get banned from the forum. 5 second distance shots then 2 solid minutes of Celine close-ups.

Do they really need a turning stage?

I mean think about it, haven't they pretty much already played in the round during Elevation? They did a great job acknowledging the crowd in the back of the stage. I'm sure they'll do it again now. With the advent of cordless mics and guitars it makes the turning stage unnecessary. Not to mention the fact that its gimmicky anyway.

Paul McG. said there is no "behind the stage". I think it will be a stationary stage, and they will just face different directions.

The picture that they show here:

U2 360? Tour

I think gives you a better idea of what this will look like from the upper deck. Maybe the covers/sheets are transparent?

yep. it´s not a revolutionary thing to have a 360 stage. but if the stage rotate...that would be a new thing of course.

Watch the George Strait videos from the Houston Astrodome on youtube. Boy, that stage is-a-rotatin'.

Don't think he toured it. I don't want u2 to rotate.

Those "behind the stage" get to stare at larry's arse the whole night.

yes - this looks like the same stage as the Foo Fighters Wembley.

I think their main design idea is that they are pushing the columns out to the perimeter so the GA can be inside and to clear views around the stage as much as they can.

I do fear it will cause poor views on the oblique for the upper tiers, but am happy with this direction.

-I doubt the stage will spin - maybe just Larry's kit so he can be seen from all angles.
-I am sure both Edge and Adam's rigs will be onstage. I think it would be impossible for them to play otherwise. Too much can go wrong.

i think they stole my idea

this was my proposed stage for the vertigo tour

vstage2.jpg

bastards

Watch the George Strait videos from the Houston Astrodome on youtube. Boy, that stage is-a-rotatin'.

Don't think he toured it. I don't want u2 to rotate.

Those "behind the stage" get to stare at larry's arse the whole night.

dear U2,

what is the real revolution at the 360° tour. i can´t see any revolutionary thing at the moment;)

man, thats a bit weird. it seems that they need to talk always in superlatives even there aren´t one on the horizon.

I'm assuming there will be a way for Bono to get out onto the walkway, else it would be rather pointless?

-I doubt the stage will spin - maybe just Larry's kit so he can be seen from all angles.
-I am sure both Edge and Adam's rigs will be onstage. I think it would be impossible for them to play otherwise. Too much can go wrong.

Yeah - the drumkit is easy to rotate, and I think it will. I don't think they necessarily need amps on stage - Geddy Lee of Rush does not use bass amps on stage, for example. I think Dallas can keep a good eye on the rig below the stage, or wherever. Or, they can lower them below stage level a bit.

I put this is the other thread, but I'm not impressed with the stage at all, and I think it's gonna get boring pretty quickly. It would be like seeing the band play on a B-stage for an entire show.

i'm guessing there's a lot more to this then what we've seen, and as we get closer and closer to the first show more details will leak out.

first off, the first image on the intro screen looks much more impressive, and different, then the spidey stage.

plus i'm very interested in the "put on your headphones" line on the intro... there's gotta be a meaning to that besides the fact that the website plays music.

dear U2,

what is the real revolution at the 360° tour. i can´t see any revolutionary thing at the moment;)

man, thats a bit weird. it seems that they need to talk always in superlatives even there aren´t one on the horizon.

They are the first to do "360 endzone". Previously cited examples were always center ring.

I think there was a dance/rave tour in Europe several years ago that was 360.

Elvis Presley did a 360 show at the Pontiact Silverdome in 1975 and the Houston Astrodome in 1970. I'm not sure if the Beatles ever had rear stage seating for their concerts in US stadiums.

My guess as to why they put it in an endzone is to sell more of the $200+ tickets. You get more bleacher seats next to the stage when you put it on one end. I dont think it has anything to do with getting power to it. My guess is those $30 tickets will be the far endzone bleacher upper deck seats.

Although, the Croke Park set up doesnt make sense on that level I guess as its on the end with fewer bleacher seats. :hmm:

EDIT: I see the ticket pricing on another thread. It appears the band will face out forward as the behind the stage tickets are cheaper. So my guess is the stage does not rotate and they face outward (IE Larry's Drum kit) overall into the stadium. I think its just a flat unobstructed view from the rear. Basically they seem to be taking an larger arena stage into an stadium and using it the same way but building the structure for the lighting rig.

i'm guessing there's a lot more to this then what we've seen, and as we get closer and closer to the first show more details will leak out.

first off, the first image on the intro screen looks much more impressive, and different, then the spidey stage.

plus i'm very interested in the "put on your headphones" line on the intro... there's gotta be a meaning to that besides the fact that the website plays music.

:yes: Headphones line is interesting. Maybe some of the sound innovations they talked about before Vertigo tour ?

Also I wonder what the a) antenna at the top and b) bulged parts on the upper parts of the "spider" legs are for.

no there is nothing revolutionary indeed. Has been done by many others for one day concerts and some even toured with a similar stage approach.
also a rotating stage has been done before, but I really hope they will not do it, cause that sucks. So unless the whole structure is going to fly and land in the middle of the stadium at the start, nothing new...

but still cool imo!

it's funny this example for croke park. Here they really didn't need the 360 design. Cause the light coloured places ill probably not be sold because of a bad view. So that menas 'behind' teh stage will be empty here!

Bono will want to walk out on the "ellipse"... so I don't think we're seeing everything here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom