The What In The Fuck Did They Do To Crazy Tonight thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sounds like Discotheque with a better rhythm section, no awesome guitar riff, and Bono not knowing what the hell he's doing in the chorus. I actually started singing Life During Wartime at the end of the first time I heard it.

I'm not sure if I like it at this point.

It sounds like Discotheque with a better rhythm section, no awesome guitar riff, and Bono not knowing what the hell he's doing in the chorus. I actually started singing Life During Wartime at the end of the first time I heard it.

I'm not sure if I like it at this point.

i think in time it will sound more polished, and The Edge will probably add more guitar to the verses and middle breakdown.

It does need a bit more polishing, but I think it's great! There would be too many similar pop/big chorus songs in the set had they played the original. This helps bring some variety to the set. Kudos to U2 for exhibiting some balls with this!

:drool::drool::drool: that is trippy as fuck, it actually reminded me a bit of basement jaxx, that is going to be a highlight for me, with the light show wow :drool:

yea I think it was really awesome... anyone think maybe that Mysterious Ways acoustic version that was reported will have the same treatment?

but yeah, Bono just needs to work on the melody and timing, but still sounds great.

really? why in the world would you hope for them to play the album version (bland, boring, worst song on NLOTH) over this new, better version (exciting, energetic, visually awesome)?

first i like crazy tonight, and i like it better than over half the album. but even more than that i hate remixes, and I like u2. this sounds nothing like u2, and it hate it. i don't go to a rock concert to hear a dance club remix. The section with bono rapping (breakdown in the middle), and yelling Go crazy tonight over and over again at the end is the single most embarrassing moment live i have ever heard from the band. i guess its interesting, like an train wreck is interesting. i have listened to it about 10 times now, and it gets worse every time. i can't believe they were willing to play this version in public. maybe if they completely rework it, and make it somewhat a cohesive song I might like it.

i get that some people hate crazy tonight, and like that they re-worked it. what i don't get is how any likes what a mess they made of it. its like they had about 6 different ideas, and the cut and paste them together for a huge colossal mess. the verses don't go with chorus, the ending doesn't go with any of the song.

the ones they say its like popmart, how is it anything remotely like they did on popmart? the only connection i can see is the horrible lemon remix played over the pa- but at least they weren't onstage for that. i guess i can see it would go with popmart opener in vegas. this was such a mess it would fit in perfectly there.

I am wondering (once again) whether these U2 weird/electronic/dance versions play better in Europe than America...

My girlfriend is devastated because her favourite track on the album is basically eliminated.

I am delighted because it sounds, looks and feels like Popmart II. :hyper:

Need to work out the kinks in the (ridiculously long) "I gotta go crazy" bit, and the jarring difference between chorus and verse.

It's pathetic. When I first watched it, I felt like I was watching some bad Japanese game show that simply bounds back and forth senselessly: the lights were annoying... the whole thing is a train wreck.

And the VISUALS at the opening are the lamest thing I have ever witnessed on a U2 stage. Ever. The mirror ball Lemon just got an upgrade. If that song's performance was my first impression of U2, I would suspect My Humps would open the show. Oh wait...

I'm sorry. I can't go from that weak attempt into their serious songs. ZOO TV and Elevation Tours are the gold standard. This is Pop and Vertigo stuff and it won't last. It can't. I can't imagine the same band that played Bad in 1987 at McNichol's Arena in Denver is the band that approved that clusterf---. I'm all for "exploration" and "taking chances" but come on. Have some perspective. If this song makes it to the states, I will downsize the number of shows I will attend... this just isn't acceptable and if U2 are willing to lose a portion of their fanbase for this crap, then have it w/ the Fergie clan and your humps. In fact, "Go crazy". Musically, it is wrong.

I am delighted because it sounds, looks and feels like Popmart II. :hyper:

Can someone please explain to me what on Popmart sounded anyting like this convoluted mess? this is nothing like popmart. popmart was (apart the first couple of weeks) a great visual experience, but the music was still u2. this versions sound nothing like u2. its sounds nothing like any pop song sounded live.

Are you kidding me?? Really? They took a decent song from the album that would play fine live - but not really stand out, to something that gets the entire stadium jumping up and down.

If all U2 played was their serious stuff, it would be a borderline bore-fest. These are stadium shows, and this kind of arrangement works perfectly in that setting.

If you don't like Pop-era U2, then I understand. If you're starving for a return to Pop, this has the potential to beat the pants off any version of discotheque they've ever done.

first i like crazy tonight, and i like it better than over half the album. but even more than that i hate remixes, and I like u2. this sounds nothing like u2, and it hate it. i don't go to a rock concert to hear a dance club remix. The section with bono rapping (breakdown in the middle), and yelling Go crazy tonight over and over again at the end is the single most embarrassing moment live i have ever heard from the band. i guess its interesting, like an train wreck is interesting. i have listened to it about 10 times now, and it gets worse every time. i can't believe they were willing to play this version in public. maybe if they completely rework it, and make it somewhat a cohesive song I might like it.

i get that some people hate crazy tonight, and like that they re-worked it. what i don't get is how any likes what a mess they made of it. its like they had about 6 different ideas, and the cut and paste them together for a huge colossal mess. the verses don't go with chorus, the ending doesn't go with any of the song.

the ones they say its like popmart, how is it anything remotely like they did on popmart? the only connection i can see is the horrible lemon remix played over the pa- but at least they weren't onstage for that. i guess i can see it would go with popmart opener in vegas. this was such a mess it would fit in perfectly there.

Discotheque was shit the first time they played it on Popmart, and it turned out great. Just give them some time to work out the kinks and this will probably become a highlight of tour with the lightshow and all.

Can someone please explain to me what on Popmart sounded anyting like this convoluted mess? this is nothing like popmart. popmart was (apart the first couple of weeks) a great visual experience, but the music was still u2. this versions sound nothing like u2. its sounds nothing like any pop song sounded live.

I think popmart is more of a feeling it evokes in people. The lightshow and stage setup was out there. The new version of this song is out there and the lightshow is trippy. I like it, but can see why people don't.

Discotheque was shit the first time they played it on Popmart, and it turned out great. Just give them some time to work out the kinks and this will probably become a highlight of tour with the lightshow and all.

vegas popmart discotheque >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> crazy barcelona.

nothing they have ever done sounded as terrible as that crazy. disco needed rehearsal, not completely rewriting.

see i don't think it's a mess. it's chaotic, on purpose.

So the songs on Pop were "still U2" ? Mofo, Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, Lemon (Perfecto), Miami....

Absolute arena rock warhorses they are :ohmy::crack:

I really really want to hear this song in its original form.. I understand they wanted to rearrange it but please do it the next tour.. or the next leg..

one of my favourite moments of the album "Baby, baby baby I know I'm not alone" it's so emotional... now it's gone

So the songs on Pop were "still U2" ? Mofo, Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, Lemon (Perfecto), Miami....

Absolute arena rock warhorses they are :ohmy::crack:

First off loads of U2 songs are not 'arena rock warhorses' (zoo station, the fly, gone) but they are still a rock band. I don't want the warhorses, but i don want something resembling a rock band. I don't go to a rock concert to hear a dance club remix.

Don't include Lemon (perfecto) they never played it once. If they want to play awful remixes on the PA between encores- then great i have no problem with that.

Mofo and Discotheque are rock songs, and it they certainly were live. Mofo still had loads of backing help, but it was still essentially a live band playing a rocking song. It was not some remix, dance club bullshit. If you think it was, I don't know what to tell you. Discotheque was a pretty straight forward rocking song live.

Do you Feel Loved is a pop song disguised very slightly, and is a lot closer to the studio version of Crazy than the abomination they played last night. (I am not saying its a straight ahead pop song like crazy tonight, but its a lot closer to it, than whatever the hell you call the thing they did last night) It also doesn't really count for Popmart as a whole, it was played like 6-8 times, before getting shelved.

I don't like it.. but I don't think it's going anywhere.. judging by the videos it's one if not the most visually spectacular moment of the show

Nor does a bit of boring Edge guitar and Bono using as many words as possible in a verse.

Crazy isn't a bad song. But I'll take that "mess" last night over what they've done before. I don't think the song in it's original format works in a stadium. Worked great on Letterman and some of the other promo shows.

Just like I wouldn't like to see Stuck in a Moment, or Sometimes (both rehearsed I believe btw) in this format.

Songs like with or without you, Still haven't found...work in these settings because of the tempo and the verses are so easy to sing. They just work in any type of format.

Crazy Tonight does not. Other than the chorus and the middle, what can people sing along to?

Making it a dance # and adding a tripped out light show just makes better sense to me. Give them time to refine this version of the song. It was only opening night. U2 songs usually evolve over the course of a tour anyway.

Let's see what happens. And if you don't like it, that's fair too. But I don't see how last night was the most embarrassing situation the band has ever been in.

Back
Top Bottom