The Troubles - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay so now we know it's about domestic violence I still need some help on these lyrics:

You think it's easier to give up on the trouble
If the trouble is destroying you
You think it's easier
But before you threw me a rope
It was the one thing I could hold on to.

Is this about suicide attempts in the bad relationship?

No I think this is wrong. The character being abused was holding on to The Trouble before the rope was given. It would be nice to hear more about the song since Ireland didn't get divorce laws until much later.

It's hard to see the connection without a mirror.

Zcelywm.gif

Riders on the storm
Riders on the storm
Into this house we're born
Into this world we're thrown
Like a dog without a bone
Like a dude without a taint
Riders on the storm

I'll say this. This song is the best closer sing wake up dead man. And I'll even say since love is blindness!

I think when this thing is given the perspective of time, The Troubles will be considered the best and it won't even be that close.

Thanks for the tip, Nostradamus.

I was just listening to All I Want Is You today and was thinking of how many fantastic closers they have. This isn't just competing with dark dirges like Love Is Blindness and Wake Up Dead Man. You also have "40" to contend with.

I think when this thing is given the perspective of time, The Troubles will be considered the best and it won't even be that close.

The Troubles is a very good closer but let's not so easily forget the stunning closers they have had in the past like the desperate Wake Up Dead Man, the chilling Love Is Blindness, the cinematic All I Want is You, the haunting Mothers, the spiritual 40 etc.

Maybe if it had an outro that befitted the song. As it is, it isn't out of place mentioned with 40, LIB, AIWIY still a little way off the last two though

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Best song for me since One. Message is powerful, vocals are flawless. Add an Edge solo for the live performance and you have encore magic.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom