The Temple Bar - Going POWERJUICE...UYMFA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UberBeaver said:
I want something mindless. I have that Space Moon book.....hmmm....but what I've skimmed is just outright awful.

Beav, Eco is the opposite of mindless.

Dude, you never finished the Wolfe titles....read that, though, it's not mindless either.

Ever heard of Dan Simmons? He writes good Sci-Fi, but it's not on par with Wolfe....easier read......check out "Hyperion".

Dalton said:
I reread GGM's One Hundred Years of Solitude this week. Always a pleasure.

I've read that and Love in the Time of Cholera. Great stuff, but I have to be in the right frame of mind...you don't read GGM on a whim.

Got Philk? said:

I talked with him on the phone for a college class called "sports and the mass media".

Very cool! What did you talk about?

I was close with my grandfather as a young boy, but he died so long ago that I can't remember his actual voice. When I try to imagine it, he sounds like Ernie.

Dalton said:

No doubt. He's one guy that I have always wanted to meet. If I were going to start a religion, he would be God.

I like to meet guys like that and listen to their stories.....I never get tired of it. I once was at a party with Art Spander, the long-time sportswriter, and listened to him and picked his brain for like 2 hours. It was great.

No spoken words said:

Beav, Eco is the opposite of mindless.

Dude, you never finished the Wolfe titles....read that, though, it's not mindless either.

Ever heard of Dan Simmons? He writes good Sci-Fi, but it's not on par with Wolfe....easier read......check out "Hyperion".

Yeah, Wolfe is far from mindless. Maybe I'll read some Harry Potter. I'm talking mindless, dude. But engaging.

Yo, could you imagine if Unicron got a hold of a bottle of Powerjuice? Fuck. I don't even want to think about it. I'd shit when he looked around the office giving the deathstare. And then I'd be praying, in my soiled pants, that he is NOT going to reiterate that "that is how you fucking go powerjuice." I'd probably ddie on the spot, of fear.

UberBeaver said:

Yeah, Wolfe is far from mindless. Maybe I'll read some Harry Potter. I'm talking mindless, dude. But engaging.

Before you go with Potter, seriously, read up on Hyperion by Simmons and see if it looks good to you....that, or Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke.

Dalton said:

Very cool! What did you talk about?

I was close with my grandfather as a young boy, but he died so long ago that I can't remember his actual voice. When I try to imagine it, he sounds like Ernie.

We talked about how media has changed over the time he was a broadcaster. We talked about how to make a baseball game interesting without the visual...aka radio. Painting the picture so to speak. We talked about how he got to where he was.

And we talked about some of the calls he made...about old players that stood out to him(I don't remember who he said...but I think it was something like there's too many.) He just told so many stories. You kind of get lost in the talk with him because he can just take you out of your surroundings and into wherever his story was supposed to take you.

Dalton said:
Have you ever read The Brothers K by David James Duncan or any of Michael Chabon's books?

An employee of mine bought me the Brother's K....I have that aversion to sports books, but since it was a gift, I'll read it.

Have read 2 Chabon titles....The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, as well as The Mysteries of Pittsburgh....own 2 more of his books as well.

No spoken words said:

An employee of mine bought me the Brother's K....I have that aversion to sports books, but since it was a gift, I'll read it.

Have read 2 Chabon titles....The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, as well as The Mysteries of Pittsburgh....own 2 more of his books as well.

The Brother's K is probably my favorite book ever. I don't think of it as a sports book, but I know some that can't get through it because of the baseball.

What did you think of kavalier & clay?

I thought Kavalier and Clay was good, but, not worthy of the hype/awards it received. But, then again, I read Philip Roth and close his books slightly underwhelmed, so who am I to really say? Being Jewish helped me like Kavalier and Clay a little bit.

Dalton said:
I felt the same way about K&C. I have Yiddish Policeman's Union on my desk, but I haven't started reading it yet.

I do not have that...I have Summerland, and I forget the other....Mysteries of Pittsburgh I actually liked better than Kavalier and Clay.

Back
Top Bottom