The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems Peralta's stock has really risen in the playoffs with the Indians front office, as well it should. In August, after Cabrera was brought up and showed he can play a bit, there was a lot of talk that Peralta would be dealt in the offseason. The Indians figured they would move Cabrera to short, his natural position, Barfield would start at second and Marte would be giving every chance to win the third base job. Blake would then go back to being a utility player at third, first and outfield. If Marte didn't work out at third Blake would go back there.

Now, I'm not so sure? I do believe you have to move Peralta from short. He just doesn't give them the defense you need from that position. I could see him playing third next year.

Did Barfield have really good numbers in the minors? Over two seasons in MLB, .264/.297/.380 is pretty bad. Looks like he had a little pop in his bat last year (13 HRs), but that's about it. Not sure why you want him in over Casey Blake.

Last edited:
Since the Indians, unlike Jered Weaver, are (1) up 3-1 in the series and (2) not a bunch of pansies, I doubt they care very much.

speedracer said:
Did Barfield have really good numbers in the minors? Over two seasons in MLB, .264/.297/.380 is pretty bad. Looks like he had a little pop in his bat last year (13 HRs), but that's about it. Not sure why you want him in over Casey Blake.

I know. They think Barfield who had a good rookie season in San Diego will be a good offensive player and that he had a sophomore slump. He is a tremendous defensive player already.

Dalton said:
Have we been discussing ManRam's celebratory hr trot when his team was down by 4 runs?

I'd a lit into him.
Considering the way the Cleveland fans treat Manny, and the fact that it was a historic HR (first ever back to back to back in LCS history), I doubt any of Manny's teammayes had a problem with him.

DaveC said:
Not nearly as premeditated and blatant as Arod. Looks like Martinez being pulled off the bag and going to tag him caught him by surprise and he thought about a dive for the bag but was already too close to Martinez to get down in time. But give the little guy a purse anyway as he is hitting much like a girl in the playoffs.

Minnesota North Stars :drool:

180px-MinnesotaNorthStars1967.png

Niiiice. We got some Dino Ciccarelli mojo workin'. Some Brian Bellows, Mark Tinordi, Dave Ga...Gag...can't say it...can...not...say...it :)

But I do have his autograph, on a nice 8x10 glossy even.

CTU2fan said:
Niiiice. We got some Dino Ciccarelli mojo workin'. Some Brian Bellows, Mark Tinordi, Dave Ga...Gag...can't say it...can...not...say...it :)

But I do have his autograph, on a nice 8x10 glossy even.

:cute:

Am I allowed to be nostalgic at only 21 years old?

Hewson said:
Not nearly as premeditated and blatant as Arod. Looks like Martinez being pulled off the bag and going to tag him caught him by surprise and he thought about a dive for the bag but was already too close to Martinez to get down in time. But give the little guy a purse anyway as he is hitting much like a girl in the playoffs.

"Why should we panic?" Ramirez said Wednesday in a rare clubhouse interview. "We've got a great team."

And then, this: "It doesn't happen, so who cares? There's always next year. It's not like it's the end of the world."

manny being moron.

so the question is, does boston pawn manny and his gynormous contract on to some other sucker team and toss 30 million at the purple lipped one?

Further comments from Manny

But those records, the ones he has been setting for the Sox, and for all of baseball, becoming the all-time leader in postseason home runs with 24, aren't exactly at the forefront of his mind. They're nice. Not everything, though.

"It's good, but if I would have known that I was going to be in the World Series and not have those records, I'd trade them in a heartbeat," he said. "Who cares about the records, man? We just want to go out, have fun, and win."

That was the theme in his remarks. Having fun. Winning. Having a chance, a la 2004, to come back and take this series.

"We're not thinking that much about '04, but anything's possible," Ramírez said. "We're just going to think about [tonight] and move on. We'll go have fun and play the game like we've played all year round. We'll see what the future is going to bring for us.

"We've got a great team over here and the other side is playing great. They're pitching the way they should and they're coming through with big hits. What can you do? You just think about [tonight] and you just try to come and play hard and have fun. It's not over yet."

Sounds to me like Manny is just trying to stay loose and relaxed.

Last edited:
People make so much about one comment from Manny, while ignoring the other stuff he said, the stuff speed posted above.
I heard the interview in full on WEEI yesterday and thought it sounded like a guy with a good attitude. Last night and this morning, everyone just plays the sound bit of the one clip that Headache posted and people are outraged.
Ridiculous.

No wonder the guy normally refuses to talk to the media.

Head games?

Country music artist Danielle Peck will sing the national anthem and "God Bless America" at tonight's Indians game.

She will not sing, "Stand by Your Man."

Peck, it turns out, dated Red Sox pitching ace Josh Beckett, who is starting tonight's do-or- die game against the Tribe and who handed them their only loss in the American League Championship Series.

They met last summer. They're not an item anymore.

The Indians claim they had no idea of the love connection when they announced Tuesday that Peck would replace Taylor Swift as tonight's vocalist.

"It's an incredible coincidence. Honestly," said Indians spokesman Bob DiBiasio. "This isn't another bug thing."

Midges get all over your skin.

Exes can get in your head.

DiBiasio said when Swift couldn't do the game, a country music booker recommended Peck, a rising star in the industry. She's from Coshocton and has a hit single, "I Don't."

"She's from Ohio. Her entire family are Indians fans. We did not know anything about her connections to Beckett. The next day, we find out the rest of the story," said DiBiasio. "How are we supposed to know who Josh Beckett dates?"

We'll take the Indians at their word.

But it's no secret that Beckett also has dated actress Alyssa Milano and model Leeann Tweeden.

If Tweeden models "Mrs. Sizemore" shirts on the scoreboard and Milano throws out the first pitch, we'll know the games aren't just on the field.

U2ME3 said:
Head games?

Country music artist Danielle Peck will sing the national anthem and "God Bless America" at tonight's Indians game.

She will not sing, "Stand by Your Man."

Peck, it turns out, dated Red Sox pitching ace Josh Beckett, who is starting tonight's do-or- die game against the Tribe and who handed them their only loss in the American League Championship Series.

They met last summer. They're not an item anymore.

The Indians claim they had no idea of the love connection when they announced Tuesday that Peck would replace Taylor Swift as tonight's vocalist.

"It's an incredible coincidence. Honestly," said Indians spokesman Bob DiBiasio. "This isn't another bug thing."

Midges get all over your skin.

Exes can get in your head.

DiBiasio said when Swift couldn't do the game, a country music booker recommended Peck, a rising star in the industry. She's from Coshocton and has a hit single, "I Don't."

"She's from Ohio. Her entire family are Indians fans. We did not know anything about her connections to Beckett. The next day, we find out the rest of the story," said DiBiasio. "How are we supposed to know who Josh Beckett dates?"

We'll take the Indians at their word.

But it's no secret that Beckett also has dated actress Alyssa Milano and model Leeann Tweeden.

If Tweeden models "Mrs. Sizemore" shirts on the scoreboard and Milano throws out the first pitch, we'll know the games aren't just on the field.

Entire family are Indians fans, eh?

Doesn't seem like she is...

peck.jpg

speedracer said:
A pay cut certainly qualifies as "an offer you must refuse".

it's a pretty fair deal actually.

his salary was 7 million. the new contract paid him 5 million for the regular season, 1 million for getting to the playoffs, 1 million for getting to the alcs and 1 million for getting to the world series. and the 5 million still would make torre the highest paid manager in baseball by about 1.5 million over lou pinella.

:shrug: it'll be interesting to see how things shake out in the coming days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom