The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are going to be the toughest three days I've ever had as a baseball fan.

I love it.

I don't understand how the Cubs get swept (and swept in the season series as well) by a team tied for the worst record in the major leagues.

Un-fucking-believable.

Cubs were 3-20 this series with runners in scoring position.

D-Lee choked today, Matt Murton choked, Jacque Jones choked, and Ryan Theriot choked. Even Craig Monroe only reached base because of a Cabrera error.

The only thing that makes me feel better is that St. Louis played even worse at the end of the season last year, finished with a less-than-impressive record, and still won the world series. Oh yeah, and Kerry Wood getting out of that jam with bases loaded and no outs was AWESOME to watch.

Apparently the Brewers are even more inept at finishing their season with dignity, so one can't worry too much.

Save us, Zambrano.

lazarus said:
I don't understand how the Cubs get swept (and swept in the season series as well) by a team tied for the worst record in the major leagues.

Un-fucking-believable.

Cubs were 3-20 this series with runners in scoring position.

Apparently the Brewers are even more inept at finishing their season with dignity, so one can't worry too much.

Save us, Zambrano.

Go Padres....PLEASE!!!
I'm not too surprised, the Cubbies are known to do this...gives us fans ulcers..but Big Z can do it...let's just hope Bartman didn't move to Cincy...

zoney! said:
Twins win :shifty:

Since ESPN doesn't show many Twins games I don't often get the privilege, but watching Joe Nathan, his stuff is just filthy. Not sure about anyone else but I had no confidence Varitek would be able to drive the run in with an out, he was completely overmatched - the K was inevitable.

zoney! said:

I would take Zambrano over Gagne any day!

I would take VICTOR Zambrano over Gagne. Also BK Kim, Jorge Julio, and Armando Benitez. And just in case him stinking up the joint wasn't enough, he also works incredibly slow, and that drives me nuts. I'm so glad Steve Trachsel is back in the NL...slow workers :down:

I'm reading the tiebreaker scenarios on MLB.com right now.

If there's a tie in any of the NL divisions, they play a one-game playoff. But if the Red Sox and Yankees end up tied in the AL East, there's no playoff, and the Yankees would be the division winners by virtue of head-to-head record.

Is there a reason for this difference? Why wouldn't New York and Boston play a tiebreaker game?

:confused:

DaveC said:
I'm reading the tiebreaker scenarios on MLB.com right now.

If there's a tie in any of the NL divisions, they play a one-game playoff. But if the Red Sox and Yankees end up tied in the AL East, there's no playoff, and the Yankees would be the division winners by virtue of head-to-head record.

Is there a reason for this difference? Why wouldn't New York and Boston play a tiebreaker game?

:confused:

because it wouldn't matter, they both get into the playoffs anyway.

if the padres and rockies both choke and the mets and phillies tie for the division and the wild card, the phillies will be the division champs and the mets the wild card based on head to head. there would be no one game playoff.

the issue is that in all likely hood there will be more than two teams tied for the division and wild card, thus they'd have to have the playoffs.

orrr teams will be tied for the divison, but neither team has enough wins to qualify for the wild card, thus winner is in and loser goes home.

I'm hoping for at least one playoff game, those are always a hoot. Petey has said he's available to pitch on Monday if asked.

And I feel you Dave, I remember in '03 and '04 sitting at work and the day just creeping by...I couldn't wait for baseball and the waiting was killing me. I can tell you that in '04, I can't even describe it...the week & a half from ALCS Game 4 to WS Game 4 was just surreal.

Right now, Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy (Red Sox announcers) are debating the effects of the wind on the orbit of the moon.

speedracer said:
Right now, Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy (Red Sox announcers) are debating the effects of the wind on the orbit of the moon.

My hatred of the Sox is on record, but, I must admit that I like watching games on NESN because of those two. They are very fair, when it'd be easy to be biased, and they're funny.

Congrats, Cubs fans. You can thank me for moving hee and bringing the Cubs luck wheneveryou like. :)

Dave C, I know how you feel. Hang in there. It's sweet agony. :)

Thanks to everyone/anyone.......but the luck is needed for another month at least...my stress level will go way up after Sunday...

Pfan, damn fucking right you need them to clinch first. Tomorrow you should be shitting in your pants.

ET, I'll be a nervous wreck for every Yankee playoff game. It's insane how much joy or sorrow I derive from this shit. But, it is what it is.

Last edited:
true, true...without the anxiety, it just aint baseball!!

But hope you have a little love for the Cubbies since you live there now!!!

No spoken words said:
Congrats, Cubs fans. You can thank me for moving here and bringing the Cubs luck when everyou like. :)

A-thank ya! :wink:

Happy for the Cubs clinch...but fear San Diego. They have a crapload of weapons in that bullpen.

Also VERY happy that Boston clinched. I am headed to Boston tomorrow...going to the game Sunday. This will be my first trip to Fenway and I think we have some pretty sweet seats. Schmeg has been dancing around the condo since making "bird" sounds trying to encourage the Orioles on to victory. I even have "down by the river...." stuck in my head.

But why am I happy for the Red Sox? Now I can safely wear my Twins Kirby jersey to Fenway! :D

twins are out and the game really means NOTHING! (the American league is set Angels/Sox - Yanks/Chief Wahoo).

I have to find a way to get to a playoff game...ANYWHERE!

Just saw the replay of the Yankees-Orioles game, which clinched the division for the Red Sox. Bunting home the winning run with 2 outs takes some serious stones.

Also, judging from the celebrations in the Red Sox clubhouse, I'm slightly worried that Jon Papelbon is gonna drive home tonight and wrap his car around a lamppost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom