The one song that EVERY U2 fan loves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:
Why is DYFL on the list? I mean, I love the song, but to say that it's never been bashed or disliked on this forum is silly. It's been bashed plenty.

Has it? oh well thats that one of the list, still confident of The Fly though.

I'm taking DYFL off as it was suggested (and I agree). And if the thread is about love I'm also taking off Last Night On Earth. The other ones I love;) So:

Stay
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Fly
Beautiful Day
Eleven O'Clock Tick Tock

Ok. Sorry, but I'm gonna be the jerk who knocks off "Sunday Bloody Sunday", which (in my opinion for what it's worth) isn't even one of the best songs off of "War". The only way SBS ever does anything for me is having U2 perform it live, or the live version from "Rattle and Hum" and even then I would never say it's a song I "love".

Now "The Fly", that's another story. I practically knocked a couple people over going into epilleptic fits of joy at Las Vegas #2 when I heard the opening notes. Now THAT's l - o - v - e !

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:
Stay
The Fly
Beautiful Day
Eleven O'Clock Tick Tock

I have to admit that if you picked a song that I absolutely LOVE then of these Beautiful Day, 40 and The Fly would have to go. I definitely think that Streets is the one that you'd have to pick, but I'd put a plug in for Until The End Of The World and New Year's Day to be reinstated.

Quoting FitzChivalry
"Ok. Sorry, but I'm gonna be the jerk who knocks off "Sunday Bloody Sunday", which (in my opinion for what it's worth) isn't even one of the best songs off of "War". The only way SBS ever does anything for me is having U2 perform it live, or the live version from "Rattle and Hum" and even then I would never say it's a song I "love"."

I have to agree. SBS has never really struck a major chord with me.

I can't believe that there aren't a few people out there who don't like 40 and there are lots of people who arent crazy about Beautiful Day.
I love all five you have mentiond, but Bad and Where The Streets Have No Name are loved by basically all U2 fans, aren't they?

Apparently not. Most of the songs that are asked to be reinstated have already been knocked off.

Stay
Eleven O'Clock Tick Tock

Okay, I can agree with taking off Sunday Bloody Sunday, but I really do think the others should stay. Again, it's my fault for misnaming the thread, but I just can't bear to go through all this again with the thread properly named as "The ONE U2 song nobody HATES." So could we just agree that this thread is not about love, but about the songs that everyone is at least okay with and at most loves?

Furthermore, I'm going to say we put Streets back on this list. There is only one person in seven pages who doesn't like the song, and then on another thread this person mentioned the song as one they've "changed their mind about" (seeming to imply that they don't hate it anymore.) I've repeatedly asked this person to explain exactly what their stand is on the song and so far there has been nothing. I suspect it's a case of being difficult, pretending to hate the song just because everyone else likes it. So until I see evidence to the contrary, Streets goes back on to the list. Also there was never any out and out hatred for Unforgettable Fire so IT goes back on the list.

Stay
The Fly
Beautiful Day
Eleven O'Clock Tick Tock
The Unforgettable Fire
Where the Streets Have No Name

Well, I still vote for "Streets" as the song every U2 fan at least doesn't hate, and I pretty much love all of the remaining contestants, except "Beautiful Day" -- which I DON'T hate, but I don't love it either. For me "Beautiful Day" falls somewhere between average and above average.

maycocksean said:
Okay, I can agree with taking off Sunday Bloody Sunday, but I really do think the others should stay. Again, it's my fault for misnaming the thread, but I just can't bear to go through all this again with the thread properly named as "The ONE U2 song nobody HATES." So could we just agree that this thread is not about love, but about the songs that everyone is at least okay with and at most loves?

Furthermore, I'm going to say we put Streets back on this list. There is only one person in seven pages who doesn't like the song, and then on another thread this person mentioned the song as one they've "changed their mind about" (seeming to imply that they don't hate it anymore.) I've repeatedly asked this person to explain exactly what their stand is on the song and so far there has been nothing. I suspect it's a case of being difficult, pretending to hate the song just because everyone else likes it. So until I see evidence to the contrary, Streets goes back on to the list. Also there was never any out and out hatred for Unforgettable Fire so IT goes back on the list.

Stay
The Fly
Beautiful Day
Eleven O'Clock Tick Tock
The Unforgettable Fire

I guess it is my fault I sort of took off on the whole not loving it thing. I agree with what you decided.

My bad. :uhoh:

Streets probably has the highest percentage of people that like/love it. Next, I'm not so sure. But it doesn't really matter because after Streets, all the rest of their catelogue is miles behind :wink:

streets is quite easily the most over rated song among u2 fans , makes me quite sick how much people buzz of it. However streets life is good but anything else is really poor.

vaz02 said:
i hate streets with a passion , like nails on a blackboard

His whole argument has been that you haven't explained yourself as to WHY you hate Streets.

Streets can never be over rated because it is the most amazing piece of music ever recorded :wink: jk hehe

But yea I would say it depends on where you are that determines what song is over rated. If you're talking about Interference then basically everything off Pop which makes the suggestion of DYFL even more hilarious :lol:

There will never be a song everyone loves, but I'm pretty sure Streets, Bad, SBS, and BD are the most well known/liked

maycocksean said:
Stay
The Fly
Beautiful Day
Eleven O'Clock Tick Tock
The Unforgettable Fire

I don't love most of those. I don't love Stay or Beautiful Day but I don't feel strongly enough to kick them off. I like them well enough.

The studio versions of 40 and 11 O'clock Tick Tock SUCK and I've seen many, many people say that. The live versions of both are excellent, though.

I've seen The Unforgettable Fire hated on this forum. ImOuttaControl particularly loathes it. (I personally think anyone who hates it is crazy, but ...)

maycocksean said:
Stay
Beautiful Day
i loathe stay. i know people think it's the best song off zooropa, and some even say it's their favourite song, but i don't like it. the opening guitar is incredibly annoying, i can't quite put it into words. it reminds me of a drunk person trying to play the guitar or a tape being eaten or something.

but even past the intro, i don't like it. the music is just incredibly lame, i feel the way about it the way most feel about babyface ("why was this put on the album?") but i just stay quiet about it cuz i know i'm a very small minority. but given that this thread is about songs every fan loves, i felt i had to chime in :wink:

and now for beautiful day. honestly, this song isn't totally terrible, but i definitely don't love it. when i heard this song it sounded like U2 trying to be incredibly mainstream. like they listened to everything on top 40 and tried to emulate it. it's got some of that classic U2 sound so you do know it's by U2, and it's not as bad as, say, stuck but it's still just way too saccharine.

the rest of the songs on the list i love, though. :)

vaz02 said:
streets is quite easily the most over rated song among u2 fans , makes me quite sick how much people buzz of it. However streets life is good but anything else is really poor.

Ah, the Streets-hater has returned.

Forgive me if I'm a bit cynical here vaz02 but I'm just having trouble buying your stand on Streets. Is it "over-rated" just because so many people like it? Is it that no song can be THAT good? I'm not meaning to pick on you here or apply a double standard to you but I'm a but suspicious. You pick the one song that everyone else loves and say you hate it, but you won't really say why you hate it. It just seems a little fishy to me.

And what's the major difference between this song played live and on the album?

See now Khananda Rhodes rather eloquent piece on why she hates "Stay" I can buy. Likewise with "Beautiful Day."

So here's where the list stands:

Based on reportage of hatred, Unforgettable Fire goes. Based on Khananda Rhodes savaging of Stay and Beautiful Day, they go.

I'm going to suggest that if a song is considered acceptable live then it stays on the list. If there is widespread disagreement with that though, I'll be happy to go with majority rules and remove 40, 11 O Clock Tick Tock, and Streets. Per shart1780's request we'll add "Kite" for now though I think I recall reading some "Kite"-hating somewhere on Interference. Someone please confirm this and it shall be removed.

The List at Present (we're getting down to brass tacks here. If the ruling comes down against including "hate the studio version/ltolerate the live version" we'll more than likely only have one song left):

The Fly
11 O Clock Tick Tock
Kite

And what is "Cartoon World"? Is that a real song? Axver you seem to have real handle on U2 obscurities--far more than I--so you'll have to give me more than a wink. I'm not sure whether you're actually adding a song to the list or not!

Unforgettable Fire is my favorite U2 song ever. Amazing that someone could hate it, but tastes differ, I guess.
I think Streets should stay on the list. If you've been to a concert, you'll agree that (especially the beginning of) Streets is one of the most powerful moments of a show. And the studio version is great too.
Even if you don't particularly care for Streets, I can't imagine anyone actually hating it. Out of all the songs, this is probably your best bet.

maycocksean said:

Ah, the Streets-hater has returned.

Forgive me if I'm a bit cynical here vaz02 but I'm just having trouble buying your stand on Streets. Is it "over-rated" just because so many people like it? Is it that no song can be THAT good? I'm not meaning to pick on you here or apply a double standard to you but I'm a but suspicious. You pick the one song that everyone else loves and say you hate it, but you won't really say why you hate it. It just seems a little fishy to me.

First of all what would i have to gain by hating streets lol ? so why would it seem fishy.
Second , has anyone else given reasons why they dont want certain songs to be on the list ?

----------------------

I think streets should not be on the list because i hate it , hate is a strong word but its the way i feel about this track.
This song is propably the most pompus song u2 have produced and easily the most pompus song u2 fans like.

Lyrically its a great song but it screams out "LAME", come on the video was terrible , very very camp. The song song sounds like something you would find on a " Now thats what i call summer hits " album which is soo cheesy.

Its not a partiulary a exciting song either , never really hits a peak. ( unlike live )

Edges guitar is hardly rocking n rolling is it ?

Coldplay please cover this song so i can hate it more.

Btw this is one of u2's best live song ( i think ) so im not slagging it off live only studio wise and album.

-----------------------------------------------

give me ' I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For ' anyday

annie_vox said:
Ok so... the point is... THere is no song that every U2 fan loves right?

just goes to show how much u2's works varies, unlike many other bands.

Back
Top Bottom