The NEXT SINGLE??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes you can't make... is getting alot of play... and Crumbs from your table is going to be the break out single from the album, (I think) but All Because of You will be the next single (which is fine with me) IMO :wink:

womanfish said:
Miracle Drug should not be a single. While a good song, I think it's one of the weakest on the album. But I'm sure with Bono's love of the WORST lyric ever "freedom has a scent...." that he wants to put that out to the world. Why, I do not know.

1.) Miami! My Mammy!!
2.) The air is heavy...heavy as a truck

Have you smelled a baby lately? :madspit:

I think the 'Freedom has a scent' line keeps Miracle Drug from being one of the best songs ever written by anyone ever.

-Miggy D

P.S. - Because of that line, it is only a really great tune. (Or as Bono would pronounce it, 'chune'.)

In the paper the other day, it said in one section that Sometimes is the next single, and ABOY is in another section. I did hear Sometimes on the radio yesterday though.

So I'm thinking Sometimes will be the next single here.

SIngle Number 2 - ABOY in the US and Sometimes for ROW
SIngle Number 3 - Sometimes - US, ABOY ROW
Single Number 4 - OOTS. The best melody this side of Phil Spector and the Beatle
Single Number - A Man and a Woman

Maybe Miracle Drug as an outside chance. There is no way COBL or Crumbs will be singles - those songs are too long for radio. COBL is similar to Streets in build-up, but Streets was back in 87 when radio was a different place.

Sometimes gets away with because of the emotional impact and that wonderful chorus

Swinging by u2achtung.com this morning, they've reported that Sometimes will be the next single.

"Différents bureaux d'Universal annoncent que le prochain single extrait de How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb sera Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, qu'il sortira le 14 février 2005 et que l'une des B-sides s'intitule Mercy...
Cependant certains rumeurs persistantes disent que le prochain single sera All Because of You... aurons nous comme en 2000 des sorties simultanées de différents singles selon les continents?
(merci U2portugal.com et U2tour.de) "

Basically, that says that the next single will be Sometimes (For the ROW it seems), released on Feb 14, with a B-Side of Mercy. :drool: And that All Because Of You, due to all the rumors, may be a North American single release, like what happened during ATYCLB.

ABOY isn't one of my favourite songs on the album, not even by a long shot, but I think it has much better chances on radio than Sometimes, so I guess it's a good choice for #2.

Matthew_Page2000 said:

1.) Miami! My Mammy!!

3) pretty much whole of Some days are better than others
4) it's the blind leading the blond, it's the cops collecting from the cons, it's the stuff of country songs
5) Miami
6) first half of Zooropa is nothing but copied advertising slogans

I think that so hated line is very emotive - Bono was obviously trying to speak from the point of view of Chris Nolan's mother.

I disagree that CoBL is too long for radio. Admittedly, if it becomes a single, I'm sure a "radio edit" version will be done, but there are plenty of longer songs out there. Coldplay's "Clocks" is a long song with a big piano intro as well and that became a big hit. CoBL had that incredibly catchy staccato that I think will help it succeed.

ABoY, followed by "Sometimes" then CoBL. If a fifth single is released, I'm not opposed to OotS.

Matthew_Page2000 said:

1.) Miami! My Mammy!!

Nah, I love the Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head lyric. It's honest and awkward, I like it for this.

Lyric #2, however ... when I listen to Electrical Storm, I tend to pretend that Bono sings, The air is heavy/heavy as a drug. And instead of wash our away our bad luck, I replace luck with love.

The air is heavy, heavy as a drug
We need the rain,
To wash away our bad love

Now that's poetry. Bono, you have my number so call ... :wink:

Ah, to keep this post on topic -- I don't mind which song U2 chooses as the next single. I have the album and all of its songs already ... I'm interested in what'll be the b-side. :wink: :wink:

Last edited:
LPU2 said:
It will be ABOY here in the US. However, it should be Miracle Drug. It's just a perfect followup to Vertigo. And I don't know if it will be a single or not, but there's no WAY that Man and a Woman can be kept off radio.

A man and a woman would tear up the adult top 40. I have no doubts. Is that what U2 would want? Probably not until the album has been purchased by everybody else, but it would be a smart move to release that song as the final single. Very catchy and soulful and also unique sounding.

The Freedom has a scent... line isn't the clunker in MD. It's the very next line that dissolves into Bono-esque cliche.
How can you hate a line about smelling babies more than, The songs are in your eyes/I see them when you smile?

Whoa whoa whoa, why is everyone suddenly hatin' on Miracle Drug? The chorus is great, the freedom line is great (ANY parent will tell you that newborn babies smell heavenly...kinda like freedom :wink: ) though I agree I wouldn't market it as a single...

I heard ABOY on our local alternative radio station last night, which got me SO excited. This "alternative" radio station plays great "alternative" bands like Hoobastank and Nickelback, and really "hard-rockin'" stuff like REM and Dave Matthews Band... but never have I heard them play U2. Ever. I thought, "surely Vertigo is good and rockin' enough to get played on X103" but was it? NO! Pissed me off... so to hear them finally succomb to the wonder of All Because of You put me in heaven. ABOY might do even better than Vertigo in the States, even without an iPod ad... U2 is now literally on every radio station (well, besides the hip hop and R&B...but maybe Fast Cars could pass as hip hop? :wink: )

The single order in the US outta be:

1. Vertigo (catchy, punky, now ubiquitous)
2. All Because of You (continue with the rockers to put more people on the U2 bandwagon)
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (emotional ballads do well on radio too...think Maroon 5 or Hoobastank, they released more 'rockin' songs [by their shit standards anyway] first then their [crappy] ballads which did even better than their rock singles)
4. Original of the Species (catchy as hell) OR City of Blinding Lights (a shorter single version, also catchy)
5. A Man and a Woman (adult contemporary will love it and y'never know, some of the pop stations might take to it too)

Yahweh really isn't single material simply because of the blatantly religious title (they could release it onto Christian stations though, U2 is what Christian rock SHOULD be, not the watered-down boring crap most is). One Step Closer is much too slow. MD, LAPOE, and CFYT are all potential singles imo, but probably wouldn't do as well.

Indiana Jones said:

The air is heavy, heavy as a drug
We need the rain,
To wash away our bad love

Now that's poetry. Bono, you have my number so call ... :wink:

Not complaining about the original lines, but those changes are great. It definitely works for me a whole lot more.

And on the single topic, I can't say which one it will be but 'Original of the Species' will be the biggest song of 2005 anywhere by anyone. Period.

AtomicBono said:
U2 is what Christian rock SHOULD be, not the watered-down boring crap most is).

No kidding! :up: Plus it's spiritual without being in your face like Chiristian rock is. It's like the writers feel they need to be blatant and obvious with thier lyrics who they're talking about...

the air is heavy, heavy as the TRUTH.

whenever i listened to that song, i changed the word in my mind so it wasn't quite as bad. :wink:

U2girl said:

3) pretty much whole of Some days are better than others
4) it's the blind leading the blond, it's the cops collecting from the cons, it's the stuff of country songs
5) Miami
6) first half of Zooropa is nothing but copied advertising slogans

I think that so hated line is very emotive - Bono was obviously trying to speak from the point of view of Chris Nolan's mother.

Some days have bouncers that won't let you in I love this line.:love:

As for the MD lyric about baby scents ... I totally agree, in the context of Chris Nolan's mother, whose p.o.v. Bono sings from, it makes perfect sense and works for me, I like this lyric. In any other song it wouldn't work, but considering the context of the song and who it's about, what it's about, the lyric works for me. It's probably one of Bono's most open-hearted honest lyrics -- you don't get much more hope than a newborn baby.

I used to think MD would make a great single, but now I'm not so sure. I love the song, but ... single? Dunno. I'd go for OOTS, even if the Beatles sue. :wink:

I wonder if they will release COBL as the 5th single. Maybe they´ll keep it as the fans treasure, just like Kite, UTTOTW, etc. But I think everyone should her this song!

City Of Blinding Lights should be a single :yes:

even fans who disliked this "bomb" like me do like this song, by far the best from the whole album :wave:

I disagree with fans who think this song can´t be a single just because "it´s too long". Come on friends !!! it´s time to break radio rules !!!. Don´t you remember Stairway To Heaven ? Hey Jude ? Wish You Were Here ? even U2´s Where The Streets Have No Name ? All I Want Is You ? :wink:

Last edited:
I was listenin to Colin & Edith's show on Radio 1 today and they confirmed that SYCMIOYO will be the next single (for U.K. anyway).

Back
Top Bottom