The New World of Concert Ticketing (from @u2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering this will hopefully *fingers crossed* be the tour that I'll finally be able to see U2 live, I hope all the ticket fiascos and such will work themselves out. For me, it being the first time.. I don't care where I am.. hanging upside down from the rafters.. that's okay with me. I just want to experience the full U2 show.. still, I have to say that GA really interests me. I'm in the same boat as GG, being that I live in a part of Canada where they don't tour so I have to factor in airfare, hotels, food etc.

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope everything runs smoothly this time around.

Ahhh isn't it any wonder so many people get so stirred up over the whole ticket sale fiasco when articles like this are published to do just that......get people stirred up?! No fan will ever be completely satisfied about the whole ticket sale issue, especially U2 fans. U2 fans should be happy with the fact that this is one of the biggest bands in the world who continue to keep the average fan in mind by keeping their ticket prices much more reasonable than other rock bands! I will patiently wait for tickets to go onsale and take what I can get, no whining fits from me. :wink:

You know atu2.com is extremely pro-U2. In fact, people are regularly kicked off the boards by pro-U2 moderators who bully and find excuses to boot them off.

It's time to stop excusing every greedy decision just because U2 is making it. Clear Channel which owns this ticket company is extremely unethical and led a despicable campaign against voices opposed to a war that has and will continue to consume tens of thousands of American and Iraqi lives. U2 should have taken a moral stand and not done business with it.

Also, charging people a subscription fee is pretty lame. What scalper wouldn't register since he'll recoup the costs buying up tickets and selling them on ebay. Also, it pushes out fans who don't have much money by charging a despicable $45 a year. How is this love for fans. The Cure and Radiohead both run an honest business by charging nothing. They also don't deal with scumbag corporations to collude in fleecing fans, while claiming they love them so.

If a mega-fan like Sherry Lawrence is asking mildly challenging questions, maybe mega-fans like yourself should be questioning U2 a bit, instead of just getting defensive.

I especially like the dumb jerk standing right in front of me with his arms crossed, not moving at all. He became a little bit more animated during Streets and Beautiful Day, but spent the majority of the concert looking bored/miserable. I felt like calling him over and asking him if he would kindly hand me his wrist band.

Personally, I think U2's ticket pricing sucks. I'm a strong advocate of the idea that ticket prices should be based upon incentive. It's not right that a diehard fan should have to pay $187 to sit directly behind a GA section where casual fans twiddle their thumbs for $50. Granted, there are still casual fans who would pay big bucks to see the band up close like the diehards, but I think there would be considerably less of them.

I agree with you on the pricing issue, but I have to say I don't like getting all worked up at a concert because I can't concentrate on the music. I like being calm so I can try to pick up on all the subtleties of the performance. I'm much more offended by diehard fans who sing along and wave their arms and cameras and jump up and down so I can't see.

So, don't be upset with me if you see me and I'm not moving much. I'll probably have a happy or excited look on my face, though.

What does piss me off is when bellweather fans start talking during songs because they don't like them. I saw Interpol at a festival and the losers in front of me and around me wouldn't shut up. It was hard to hear. That crap has to stop.

That's not really the issue. The best tickets are priced so low that they appeal to diehards and casual fans. Why should I have to compete with a guy who knows two songs and spends the rest of the evening looking bored out of his skull? Based upon his interest level, I highly doubt that he would have bought GA tickets if they were priced a bit higher. I know, I know - you're going to tell me that casual fans have every right to see the band up close, even if they do stand there with their arms crossed, talking on their cellphones, etc. I do agree with that. I just...I don't know.

I think it's very frustrating that there is such a massive pricing disparity between the various arena/stadium levels. You really feel like a loser when you realise that the view you got for $187 is exactly the same as the view that some bored, uninterested person got for $50.

This is how I would price it (taking into consideration that the average ticket price on the Vertigo Tour was $90):

Floor: $100-$120
Lower Bowl: $85
Upper Bowl: $65-$75

The average is roughly the same, but the difference between each level is much smaller. I know some diehards wouldn't be able to pay $100 or more for a floor ticket, but $85 for a lower bowl seat is very reasonable and potentially results in a seat next to the stage.
Yeah, but U2's scam is that the floors have far fewer seats. So, your model, which is reasonable, actually brings in less profit.

Anyway, as for this new "system", my main concern is the load on the servers. It seems that whenever someone else gets involved in U2's business, they just can't keep up (think FanFire and the U2 merchandise).

Isn't Live Nation fairly huge? They were a spin-off from Clear Channel, and we all know Clear Channel was GINORMOUS! I have confidence that Live Nation is up to the challenge, especially since (along with Madonna) U2 is their largest, most high-profile client.

I did that for a Tori Amos club gig, it was no issue at all. Cash/Paying at the venue would cause more problems. The tickets were paid for, I showed up in a special line, to get the tickets, showed my receipt, tickets were handed to me, and I walked in. Couldn't have been easier. Now, you wouldn't do that for all 16K seats in an arena, but you could easily do it for the 4000 best seats that might be sold that way.

I'm a member of Live Nation, and sometime last year I think, I filled out this long-ass survey for them, all regarding my ticket-buying habits. And I remember there being a LOT of questions regarding "Would I be more likely, somewhat likely, not likely at all . . " etc. to purchase tickets in the manner Chris just noted above.

In fact, during the survey they explicitly said that the survey was because in 2009 they were aiming to set up their own ticket-selling branch to compete with Ticketmaster and they wanted "our" (the ticket-buying public) opinions as to how to service us better and what methods we'd like to see implemented to better satisfy our needs and preferred buying methods.

So . . . we'll see. Ticketmaster annoys the hell out of me a lot of times, so hopefully Live Nation can tailor their methods to suit their customers better.

:D

I don't like the prices either, but that's what the market will bear.
Part of U2's idealism was not just profiteering. U2 should never just be for what the market will bear because then you only get rich people and Hollywood celebrities. Also, you were nice enough to charge what you paid, whereas the scalper did not. That's a huge difference. The scalpers should be prosecuted but ticketmaster and others enjoy their business and are even getting in on the deal with ticketsnow.com. Maybe this shift away from ticketmaster will be a good thing.

I'm fairly certain that Live Nation is separate from Clear Channel now. They used to be a part of C.C., but have since separated and gone off on their own.
So, the guy that owns Clear Channel, Bush's friend from Texas, isn't involved anymore? If that's the case, I have no quandary. I hate ticketmaster. Thanks, bub.

Yeah, but U2's scam is that the floors have far fewer seats. So, your model, which is reasonable, actually brings in less profit.

Not exactly true. It depends on arena vs stadium and GA vs seating.

GA allows considerably less people, if U2 were truly as greedy as you always claim, seating would have been the way to go. Because seating allows rows and exit paths city codes allow more people.

The Cure and Radiohead both run an honest business by charging nothing. They also don't deal with scumbag corporations to collude in fleecing fans, while claiming they love them so.

What is the demand compared to U2 and what these bands doing about scalpers?

Not exactly true. It depends on arena vs stadium and GA vs seating.

GA allows considerably less people, if U2 were truly as greedy as you always claim, seating would have been the way to go. Because seating allows rows and exit paths city codes allow more people.

Right. So fewer people on the floor at cheapest prices vs more people in upper and lower rings at high prices = more income for U2.

Seats takes up a lot of space, so do exit paths, so it's probably a wash as to how many people would be on the floor.

See, unlike a lot of other shows, U2 tix at Staples Center fo rexample were still in the 180 range even in the upper reaches .

Way to go in my opinion is for the medium price "restricted view" tix which weren't restricted at all. I was maybe 20 feet from the ellipse at the side, but since ticketmaster doesn't take into account that U2 typically has a fairly open stage set up, those tix are a bargain.

It cost almost twice as much to sit at the upper reaches of the cavernous Staples center.

Still, good on Paul for taking in the extra $$ and giving the impression of purely altruistic motives.

Seats takes up a lot of space, so do exit paths, so it's probably a wash as to how many people would be on the floor.

I know you like to argue with me, but I used to do this as part of my living. Fire codes will allow more people when assigned seating is available vs general admission.

Oh and I don't think it's fair to judge someone by how much "fun" they look like they are having. When I'm taping I just stand there...So that guy "standing still" might be doing it for a reason. Doesn't mean I'm not having fun.

Oh and I don't think it's fair to judge someone by how much "fun" they look like they are having. When I'm taping I just stand there...So that guy "standing still" might be doing it for a reason. Doesn't mean I'm not having fun.

Granted. You can tell when someone is bored and indifferent at a show, though. For instance, there were quite a few people in my section who were more interested in chatting to the people next to them or getting up to buy beer every ten minutes.

You know atu2.com is extremely pro-U2. In fact, people are regularly kicked off the boards by pro-U2 moderators who bully and find excuses to boot them off.

OK, I don't want to get too involved in this discussion because I live in Europe and have never had problems to get U2 tickets, both floor and sitting tickets. Also, I go to a lot of other events, concerts, classical events, festival, opera and so on, I don't see U2's tickets to be overly expensive compared to what others are charging. I guess we just got used to tickets for such big events being expensive and usually people go to only one concert (NOT hardcore fans, casual fans who are the majority of concert goers) and I've talked to a lot of people who were at a U2 concerts just because they enjoy the band's music and none of them said that tickets were overly expensive. Maybe if you go to 10+ concerts, of course.

I just wanted to add that atu2.com has had a tendency in the last year to be more and more anti U2 which I find annoying. They are constantly posting articles bashing U2 and what I'm most upset about is that there are some random fans posting their opinion on everything and anything on the website instead of providing factual information. When I go to a U2 website (not a forum), I want to get news and not read what some random guy thinks about the band. I'm really getting annoyed by this negative attitude that I've been witnessing on both the website and the blog lately.

OK, I don't want to get too involved in this discussion because I live in Europe and have never had problems to get U2 tickets, both floor and sitting tickets. Also, I go to a lot of other events, concerts, classical events, festival, opera and so on, I don't see U2's tickets to be overly expensive compared to what others are charging. I guess we just got used to tickets for such big events being expensive and usually people go to only one concert (NOT hardcore fans, casual fans who are the majority of concert goers) and I've talked to a lot of people who were at a U2 concerts just because they enjoy the band's music and none of them said that tickets were overly expensive. Maybe if you go to 10+ concerts, of course.

I just wanted to add that atu2.com has had a tendency in the last year to be more and more anti U2 which I find annoying. They are constantly posting articles bashing U2 and what I'm most upset about is that there are some random fans posting their opinion on everything and anything on the website instead of providing factual information. When I go to a U2 website (not a forum), I want to get news and not read what some random guy thinks about the band. I'm really getting annoyed by this negative attitude that I've been witnessing on both the website and the blog lately.

That's because people suck. Go U2!

Anyone who works for a ticket broker should be rounded up and thrown in arena where they all fight each other to the death. These people are the scum of the earth and one of the lowest forms of human existence, somewhere around child molesters. They are taking what is already a corrupt and greedy industry and forming their own parasite business that feeds on the worst elements of that system.

Unfortunately, in America the notion is that finding new and creative ways to make money is considered an admirable trait, and so this kind of industry is allowed to fester and prosper. By buying tickets from these opportunistic organizations, you are supporting this behavior and are part of the problem. No two ways about it. But hey, as long as you get to see U2 it's okay, right? Would you pay $200 to some Neo-Nazi organization if it would get you good seats?

My plan is simple. I will join the fan club and hope for cheap, good seats like I received the last two tours. If I can't get anything, then McGuinne$$, the band, Tickemaster, Live Nation, and all these other corporate scumbags can fuck off. I'm not willing to compromise my values just to be entertained, especially when I've already been privileged enough to witness the experience several times over before.

Anyone who works for a ticket broker should be rounded up and thrown in arena where they all fight each other to the death. These people are the scum of the earth and one of the lowest forms of human existence, somewhere around child molesters. They are taking what is already a corrupt and greedy industry and forming their own parasite business that feeds on the worst elements of that system.

Unfortunately, in America the notion is that finding new and creative ways to make money is considered an admirable trait, and so this kind of industry is allowed to fester and prosper. By buying tickets from these opportunistic organizations, you are supporting this behavior and are part of the problem. No two ways about it. But hey, as long as you get to see U2 it's okay, right? Would you pay $200 to some Neo-Nazi organization if it would get you good seats?

My plan is simple. I will join the fan club and hope for cheap, good seats like I received the last two tours. If I can't get anything, then McGuinne$$, the band, Tickemaster, Live Nation, and all these other corporate scumbags can fuck off. I'm not willing to compromise my values just to be entertained, especially when I've already been privileged enough to witness the experience several times over before.

:applaud::up:

I agree about this being a distinctly American problem maybe because of the number of arenas you guys have. In the UK/EU i've always managed to get GA for every band ive ever wanted and never used ticketmaster at all, just seetickets.com which seems to hold tickets back and release them gradually over a number of weeks at random times. I got all my GA for U2 in 2005 using this method of "checking back". Granted, it is harder for arena shows but other huge bands like Depeche Mode i've again got GA using the gradual release of tickets method... The fact that you guys have been tied into TicketMaster I find shocking, hopefully things will be better this time around...

It's time to stop excusing every greedy decision just because U2 is making it. Clear Channel which owns this ticket company is extremely unethical and led a despicable campaign against voices opposed to a war that has and will continue to consume tens of thousands of American and Iraqi lives. U2 should have taken a moral stand and not done business with it.

Also, charging people a subscription fee is pretty lame. What scalper wouldn't register since he'll recoup the costs buying up tickets and selling them on ebay. Also, it pushes out fans who don't have much money by charging a despicable $45 a year. How is this love for fans. The Cure and Radiohead both run an honest business by charging nothing. They also don't deal with scumbag corporations to collude in fleecing fans, while claiming they love them so.

If a mega-fan like Sherry Lawrence is asking mildly challenging questions, maybe mega-fans like yourself should be questioning U2 a bit, instead of just getting defensive.

WELL SPOKEN Muldfeld!

What is the demand compared to U2 and what these bands doing about scalpers?

the demand for U2 is higher, although Radiohead tickets are also wanted! And it's true that all these bands 9including U2) are not doing anything about scalpers. Don't think that paying $45,- for the first right to buy tickets from a limited pool is doing anything against scalpers...it just brings more money to them...

Part of U2's idealism was not just profiteering. U2 should never just be for what the market will bear because then you only get rich people and Hollywood celebrities. Also, you were nice enough to charge what you paid, whereas the scalper did not.

Right, but I think U2 could DOUBLE their ticket prices and the shows would still sell out. They are ALREADY doing us favors and charging way below what the market will bear, so I see no point in whining about the prices and expecting them to do us more favors and lower them even more.

I guess I can't claim to want to crucify scalpers since I probably bought a dozen tickets from them last tour.

Of the ten shows I saw (and typically I was purchasing tickets for 2-4 people), I was only ever to pull ONE single ticket on Ticketmaster, that was a GA that was re-released for Hawaii. All of my other tickets came from scalpers, friends, people online, and one from a box office drop the day of. I consider myself a pretty hugeass U2 fan and it took a LOT of time, money, and work for me to get the tickets I got. I really do think that U2 fans are already lucky with the pre-sales and the ticket prices from last tour. I don't think it makes too much sense to compare ticket prices of other bands, since most of them are not half as popular as U2 and/or are catering to a totally different audience. IMO, if shows sell out in minutes, then I think we're lucky to pay the prices we pay. I don't care about U2 idealism or whatever, I don't expect any favors from them and I certainly don't think their management and promoters care only about the music and the fans. Maybe the band themselves, but they are only four of the hundreds or thousands of people it takes to put on a tour of that scale. Also, being away from family for a year and being on stage almost every night...if they can do that then I'm totally fine with them bringing in a giant profit. If I don't like it, I can chose not to buy tickets and go see some other band.

Granted. You can tell when someone is bored and indifferent at a show, though. For instance, there were quite a few people in my section who were more interested in chatting to the people next to them or getting up to buy beer every ten minutes.

Totally agree with that! At the Police last year, (right at beginning of tour, tickets were $240+ face) 4 younger people sat right in front of us, and could care less about the show. They made out, talked, went for beer every 15 minutes.

It's just some people go to a concert to see/hear the band (Fans), and some go to be seen, get drunk, talk, etc...(comps/non fans/etc...)

Right, but I think U2 could DOUBLE their ticket prices and the shows would still sell out. They are ALREADY doing us favors and charging way below what the market will bear, so I see no point in whining about the prices and expecting them to do us more favors and lower them even more.
:up:

like the stones did last year: 200€ for GA. and it still was sold out.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: Excellent post! Scalpers and profiteers on ebay can fuck off and die!

About atu2.com. They are probably the best run, most informative U2 website out there. Just because they are "pro U2", it means they don't allow flaming, trolling, bootleg chat, etc...They are trying to be the above board U2 site, and Matt & company are doing a great job. By being above board, you get better access to news/band/interviews. Can't blame them for that angle.

It's just if you like a moderated site / somewhat moderated site / free for all...there is sites that fit each of those descriptions...

I know you like to argue with me, but I used to do this as part of my living. Fire codes will allow more people when assigned seating is available vs general admission.

I think you flatter yourself BVS, in fact I thought we had reached kind of agreements on a few things in recent times. Anyhow, I'll take your word for it, but I still believe it would be close to a wash when I see a packed GA and mentally picture a spaced out seating arrangement. Certainly not enough of a difference to negate the point that by charging less for GA and more for nosebleed that the band makes MORE money than they otherwise might have made doing it the 'traditional' way.

Yours in a friendly-discussion-mode-olive-branch-kinda-way.

What he said.

A lot of people will defend U2's ticket prices to the nth degree while berating the secondary ticket industry. I am neither pro or anti brokers, I'm not affiliated with them in any way and I rarely use them. However they have as much right to LEGALLY make a profit as U2 does with their inflated ticket prices, inflated remastered CD prices, etc. I hear the argument that it's "market pricing for a band of their stature". Well, ya know what, it's the EXACT SAME MARKET which drives the existence, nay, the flourishing of the secondary ticket market.

As Chrisedge pointed out elsewhere, there ARE ways for the band to get around it if they care to do so, but it requires the will and some extra effort. The brokers are filling a need, if you don't like it, blame the general public which feeds it or blame the band for not doing more to stop it, but the brokers themselves are just filling a need. How many of you work for companies who DON'T make (or try to make) a profit......?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom