The New English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gosh I am soo hungover. Sorry for all the posts... went out for 1 beer at midday yesterday and i got home at 1.30 this morning. Did a massive pub crawl through 12 pubs, with a thai meal thrown in somewhere. Was playing darts at one point and we had to put our hand on dartboard while others threw the darts. A clear sign we were all rather drunk.....

This weeks predictions... with a bonus game which will provide double points - i.e. get exact result right, you get 6 points instead of 3 and 2 instead of 1 etc.

And, as there are no premier league games this week, we are guessing on internationals (will make it a little more difficult).

The bonus game is Zambia -v- Congo. Now that will be interesting!!!

Belgium v Bosnia-Herz'vina
Czech Rep v Finland
England v N Ireland
France v Switzerland
Israel v Rep of Ireland
Italy v Scotland
Poland v Azerbaijan
Romania v Holland
Turkey v Albania
Wales v Austria
Zambia v Congo

Didn't listen in to the Ipswich game because I was a friend's chalet, but did catch the last bit of it after I found out there was a computer lab nearby. 0-0. Utter shite.

Yertle FC Predictions:

Belgium 0-0 Bosnia-Herz'vina
Czech Rep 2-0 Finland
England 4-0 N Ireland
France 2-0 Switzerland
Israel 0-1 Rep of Ireland
Italy 5-0 Scotland
Poland 2-0 Azerbaijan
Romania 1-2 Holland
Turkey 3-1 Albania
Wales 1-1 Austria
Zambia 0-2 Congo

Hmm...

Party Boy said:

Pathetico Bling Bling FC 13
Aardvark Devils 11
Hell's Satans 7
Yertle FC 7
Quack, Quack, Bang, Bang 6
Capers FC 4

One slight error - Yertle I did you a diservice and did not add one point to your total.

Scores should read as follows:

Pathetico Bling Bling FC 13
Aardvark Devils 11
Yertle FC 8
Hell's Satans 7
Quack, Quack, Bang, Bang 6
Capers FC 4

My predictions...

Belgium 1-0 Bosnia-Herz'vina
Czech Rep 2-0 Finland
England 3-0 N Ireland
France 2-0 Switzerland
Israel 1-1 Rep of Ireland
Italy 3-0 Scotland
Poland 2-1 Azerbaijan
Romania 1-2Holland
Turkey 2-0 Albania
Wales 2-1 Austria
Zambia 1-1 Congo

Pure guess work....

Why don't we include Champions League as part of this competition..... and im assuming FA Cup is also part of this....

Party Boy said:
Belgium v Bosnia-Herz'vina
Czech Rep v Finland
England v N Ireland
France v Switzerland
Israel v Rep of Ireland
Italy v Scotland
Poland v Azerbaijan
Romania v Holland
Turkey v Albania
Wales v Austria
Zambia v Congo

Belgium 2-1 Bosnia-Herz'vina
Czech 3-1 Finland
England 3-0 N Ireland
France 3-1 Switzerland
Isreal 0-1 Ireland
Italy 3-0 Scotland
Poland 2-0 AZerbaijan
Romania 1-3 Holland
Turkey 2-0 Albania
Wales 1-1 Austria
Zambia 1-2 Congo

hmmmm.......hardly any draws in my predictions

Party Boy said:
Belgium 2-1 Bosnia-Herz'vina
Czech Rep 3-0 Finland
England 2-0 N Ireland
France 2-1 Switzerland
Israel 1-2 Rep of Ireland
Italy 3-0 Scotland
Poland 0-0 Azerbaijan
Romania 1-2 Holland
Turkey 1-1 Albania
Wales 1-0 Austria
Zambia 3-1 Congo

These are my predictions btw! I was stupid and quoted Party Boy's original fixture list, and just amended the post!

:wink:

Last edited:
as i apparently suck i'm going to totally guess with the internationals and see what happens as i suppose i couln't do any worse.

Belgium v Bosnia-Herz'vina 1-0
Czech Rep v Finland 2-0
England v N Ireland 2-1
France v Switzerland 3-1
Israel v Rep of Ireland 0-2
Italy v Scotland 4-0
Poland v Azerbaijan 1-1
Romania v Holland 1-3
Turkey v Albania 0-0
Wales v Austria 2-1
Zambia v Congo 2-2

Sweet Tart said:
oh...btw there is no " S" at the end of caper. thanks :wink:

I just realised its near impossible for you to have an idea on how good/bad some of these European countries are at soccer. I imagine its a little harder for you.

Tell you what, if you send 10/11 fixtures from local Canadian league (and you can keep track of results), then we can use them as a weeks prediction. Seems fair?

Sorry about the S at end of Capers.. clearly I had food on mind...

Aardvark747 said:

The Milan games were not good, that's true. But i've still got faith in Fergie, even tho others havent. People are saying he doesnt make good choices in new players anymore. But *cough* - Rooney / Heinze this season, both fantastic buys. And with Ronaldo developing, and Giggsy just about to sign a 3 yr deal, we'll be back next season. As will Sir Alex. Hopefully to reclaim the title. Tho the 1 thing we DO lack, is a decent keeper.
If only Chelsea would let us have Cudicini!!! Or Italy's own Buffon.....:drool:

yeah, you definitely need a keeper, but buffon is tough to have, i think he'll never leave juventus! giggs is about to sign for other 3 years? wow, but who knows if he will last on his standards until 2008? i hope for him! i think you've got some players who have done their times, keano, neville,silvestre for example, even van nistelrooy may have problems because of his injuries. but on the other hands you have 2 young wonderful players like rooney and ronaldo who can really become champions. maybe you'll need a couple of years and the purchase of some other players to come back again, chelsea seems to have taken the road which man utd has covered for all the past years. it seems difficult that they won't begin a winning cycle for the next 2-3 years........but one is sure........they won't win the champions league this season!:wink:

Party Boy said:

I just realised its near impossible for you to have an idea on how good/bad some of these European countries are at soccer. I imagine its a little harder for you.

Tell you what, if you send 10/11 fixtures from local Canadian league (and you can keep track of results), then we can use them as a weeks prediction. Seems fair?

Sorry about the S at end of Capers.. clearly I had food on mind...

canadian league :giggle:

i actually dont think we really have one surprisingly or one that i could actually follow. i think most of our players that don't play in europe play in the MLS. (which i don't follow @ all). but supposedly if the plans go through for a soccer specific stadium here in toronto we may be getting an MLS team in a few years.

ok...i amend that...after looking on the national soccer association website there is 5 canadian teams in the USL first division :huh:.

i'll be ok...i'm just doing it for fun. but thanks fo rthe offer.

babyman said:

yeah, you definitely need a keeper, but buffon is tough to have, i think he'll never leave juventus! giggs is about to sign for other 3 years? wow, but who knows if he will last on his standards until 2008? i hope for him! i think you've got some players who have done their times, keano, neville,silvestre for example, even van nistelrooy may have problems because of his injuries. but on the other hands you have 2 young wonderful players like rooney and ronaldo who can really become champions. maybe you'll need a couple of years and the purchase of some other players to come back again, chelsea seems to have taken the road which man utd has covered for all the past years. it seems difficult that they won't begin a winning cycle for the next 2-3 years........but one is sure........they won't win the champions league this season!:wink:

Giggsy has been trying for a new contract for a while now, but the idiot UTD bosses were only prepared to give him a 1 yr rolling-on deal, which was quite unfair really. Given how Giggs is our most decorated player ever, and after all the years of service he has given to the club, it's only right that he be given the deal he wants in this last contract. He really wants to beat Bobby Charlton's club appearence record too, and if he plays around 30 games for the next couple of seasons, he'll do it. I've got no reason to think that he wont. He's been ok with (major) injuries, all his career.
I just think it will be great for the club, having someone as good a player as Giggs, to retire in a few years, after been with the club since he was a boy - and winning everything possible. There's not that many players around that can say that. (Tho I think ur Paulo Maldini is one exception - has he only ever been with AC?)

Fergie is building a superb team right now. Sure, some of the players are fast approaching the twilight years of their career, but they're still gonna produce for some time yet. And with younger players like Rooney, and Ronaldo - there's no reason why we shouldnt be able to still compete with Chelsea and the rest of Europes big guns for the next few years.
There's also players like Liam Miller and David Bellion, who - whilst not being critically aclaimed just yet, do show great promise. Especially Bellion.
I remember it being the same when Scholesy, Beckham, Butt and the Nevilles became first team regulars - when many pundits (im looking at you Hansen) thought they were not good enough to be playing week in week out for UTD. And we all know how well they've done since!

So, as a UTD man - here's to Fergie AND Giggsy staying on - and here's hoping for a return to the top of the Domestic and European campaigns real soon!!:drool:

:wink:

So Jose's gonna have to stand in the dock pretty soon, to explain his actions after that 1st Barcelona C.L game.
UEFA could very well disqualify them from the tournament, and hand Barcelona the win by defaut. Tho I think that is highly unlikely. Chelsea will probably be hit with a 'big' fine...which Roman will pay, and ppl will forget about it!

Party Boy said:

well.. maybe just a little!! Still, I think Chelsea are giving themselves a bit of a bad name in European football at the moment. They might even take over from Man U and be the most hated team in the land!!

So, how are all the caperettes doing today?

caperettes :lmao:

good...were doing very good. i'm actually flying back home in may so i'm quite excited.

and i honestly believe that if frisk hadn't retired :rolleyes: none of this crap with uefa would be happening. they are a bunch of bandwagon jumpers. chelsea condemed the actions of the people who issued the death threats and drogba apologized. what else do they want us to do?

you woudn't have seen the english national team get the boot (had they not done that themselves :sigh: )after the euro game and subsequent death threats. that's because that ref didn't retire.

we'll get a fine and more than likely a touchline ban for mourinho and clarke for the games against bayren. i don't see the point in booting the entire team outta the competion just cause jose shot his mouth off.

Last edited:
i think throwing chelsea out after the barcelona's fact is pure bullshit. this would create a dangerous precedent in the uefa history. how many recourses can we see then in the future? should then every team be thrown away just because of a referee approaching? as long as referee frisk doesn't say that chelsea tried to corrupt him or to intimidate him there's nothing to say or to make against the blues! that's it

Halifax Windjammers FC predictions (getting in late in the game) :wink:

Belgium 2 - 0 Bosnia-Herz'vina
Czech Rep 2 - 1 Finland
England 3 - 0 N Ireland
France 2 - 0 Switzerland
Israel 0 - 2 Rep of Ireland
Italy 3 - 1 Scotland
Poland 1 - 1 Azerbaijan
Romania 1 - 2 Holland
Turkey 2 - 2 Albania
Wales 2 - 1 Austria
Zambia 0 - 3 Congo

Bet on it. :wink:

UTD's Chief Cun...sorry, Executive - has stated that Alex Ferguson is sackable, and it's not just a case of letting him remaining as long as he feels able to manage. "The pressure will be on next season" he says. Isn't there pressure every season??

I'll take this moment to list this:-

Alex Ferguson's Manchester UTD career stats:-

Took Charge - 6/11/1986
Total Games - 1,027
Won - 582
Lost - 192
Drawn - 253

Trophies:-

Premiership Title - 92/93, 93/94, 95/96, 96/97, 98/99, 99/00, 00/01, 02/03

F.A Cup - 90, 94, 96, 99, 2004

League Cup - 92

Champions League - 1999.....:drool:

Cup-Winners Cup - 91

Super Cup - 91

Inter-Continental Cup - 99

Charity Shield - 93, 94, 96, 97, 2003

Mr Gill - you dont sack someone with a record like that. They have earned the right to retire gracefully, when they feel the time is right.

So get bent:madspit:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom