The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the filthy album version and I find its climax far more satisfying than the alternate one, which does sound a bit too clean for my tastes, along with that annoying added xylophone (well, I'm guessing it's a xylophone anyway).

I don't like the murky drums, that's why I don't like the album version. That song needs prominent drums. Every National song does.

I don't like the murky drums, that's why I don't like the album version. That song needs prominent drums. Every National song does.

this is something i've noticed lately... as i've said more than enough times there's plenty of National songs that i find ordinary, but the drumming is actually pretty creative and can make the songs more interesting than they seem. Friend of Mine is an example.

this is something i've noticed lately... as i've said more than enough times there's plenty of National songs that i find ordinary, but the drumming is actually pretty creative and can make the songs more interesting than they seem. Friend of Mine is an example.
I've said it before and others have too: Bryan Devendorf is the best drummer in rock right now.

Though he doesn't flaunt it too often, I would say that Matt Barrick from the Walkmen is right up there with him

I was fortunate enough to get All the Wine, Available, and The Geese of Beverly Road at the show I saw. Literally the only thing I thought was missing was About Today to close.

The only thing I didn't get at Lollapalooza was a violated drink. I was grateful for that much.

(Seen the NASH twice, received All The Wine neither time.)

I would have loved to have seen "All the Wine," but I did get a medley of "Available" and "Cardinal Song."

the ultimate feel-good song.

I interpret it as someone trying desperately to convince himself that he is worthwhile, like when you go out looking fabulous but actually kind of loathe yourself for your emotional insecurity. But, then again, I'm also an insufferable cynic. :)

It's about a guy who's so drunk he thinks he's worthwhile, I'm pretty sure.

Makes the transition into Abel logical/poignant IMO.

I interpret it as someone trying desperately to convince himself that he is worthwhile, like when you go out looking fabulous but actually kind of loathe yourself for your emotional insecurity. But, then again, I'm also an insufferable cynic. :)

Took the words out of my mouth. Like in many National songs, the protagonist in All the Wine is a sad, little, insecure human being who tries to escape reality with the most humiliating ways possible. One of those great tongue-in-cheek songs.

i like "i'm a perfect piece of ass, like every Californian" because (i assume) it's a dig at Californians who think the world revolves around LA

wtf. how have i not ever listened to these guys before? this is totally the kind of band i go completely apeshit over for a few months, proclaiming them HOLYFUCKINGAWESOMEAMAZING til i get sick of listening to ONLY them, move on and then really only marginally care about from there onwards. kind of how i feel about glasvegas or the brian jonestown massacre.

wtf. how have i not ever listened to these guys before? this is totally the kind of band i go completely apeshit over for a few months, proclaiming them HOLYFUCKINGAWESOMEAMAZING til i get sick of listening to ONLY them, move on and then really only marginally care about from there onwards. kind of how i feel about glasvegas or the brian jonestown massacre.
I've been listening a shit ton to them for the past eight months or so, and have yet to get sick of it at all.

What are you enjoying so far?

I've been listening a shit ton to them for the past eight months or so, and have yet to get sick of it at all.

What are you enjoying so far?

i was mocking music-listening habits, iwb-style.

goes something like this:
1. iwb hears band.
1a. it's a band with a previously started thread in b&c ----> i proclaim all over that thread how awesome they are/question how i never actually listened to them previously.
1b. it's a band no one seems to be discussing---->i proclaim all over that thread how awesome they are/and tell you all you need to listen to them as well.
2. iwb goes out and buys all the albums (or as many i can find on said cd shopping trip)
2a. i come in here and tell you all what i purchased
2b. i bump my thread and continue talking to myself
3. the album i most instantly fall in love with/containing the most songs i first heard lives in my car until i get sick of it. during this period i also irritate co-workers because i insist on listening to nothing else on the ipod at work.
4. rinse, repeat with another band.
4a.the band i'd just been ranting and raving about gets tossed onto the cd rack until i either feel like listening to them again, or a new album/concert some years down the line revives my interest.
4b. i forget completely to follow up and don't find out about a subsequent album, and really never listen to them again.

um, right now i really like bloodbuzz ohio and abel. and i see what's so awesome about "about today" and "england." that's as far as i've gotten so far.

not yet. still just youtubing songs while i play video games. stage 2 will be thursday when i get paid. :lol: so predictable, i am.

but really, i'm like one step away from telling you all about how "bloodbuzz ohio" is my new favorite song. actually, if i wasn't still on this ridiculous rem kick (a really long, drawn out variation of 4a in the progression, i guess?) i'd be doing that right now.

Bloodbuzz, Conversation 16 and England have all survived in spite of the fact that I hardly ever listen to High Violet all the way through. Awesome songs.

Bloodbuzz is the perfect encapsulation of what it feels like to be from Ohio. The line "the floors are falling out from everybody I know" applies to so many different moments in my life that it's nearly frightening.

Bloodbuzz, Conversation 16 and England have all survived in spite of the fact that I hardly ever listen to High Violet all the way through. Awesome songs.

Neither of those are my High Violet favorites, although they're pretty great as well.

Terrible Love, Vanderlyle, Afraid of Everyone :drool::drool::drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom