The 'I don't seem to like the new album' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It does make you a target.
It probably isn't the wisest idea to air your dislike of the album, since (unfairly) people will react negatively to it. I think some people feel discussion comes from agreement, where I think it comes from disagreement.

People like their views on things to be validated - which is why negative feelings, reviews and such affect them so much.

Good point. I guess I'll just wait until the next cd comes out until I hear about how much everyone hates this one. (that was an obvious joke, by the way)

It's just the point that I made, It's weird to see such an agreement in people referring to this as a "masterpiece" and such. It's almost as though if people do not particularly like it or are extremely let down by it that they are afraid to voice their opinion. It's like a giant colony of ants with everyone following everyone else. My fiance is just a big of a fan as I am and she likes it even less than I do. It's disappointing.

Does this really make me a target or am I allowed to have an opinion?

Where did I say you can't have an opinion? In fact it was you who were suggesting that many in here don't have a valid opinion when you said:

I tend to think that maybe people are just so excited for a new U2 album (as I was), that they are willing to overlook the mediocrity present here.

So don't try and play victim...

Where did I say you can't have an opinion? In fact it was you who were suggesting that many in here don't have a valid opinion when you said:

I hear you on that one. I was just a bit surprised that no-one else agreed with me. It's a bit odd for any album to come out and for everyone to love it right off the bat.

The new album ain't that bad, I was one of the slightly disappointed ones (was hoping the production/execution of songs would be flawless, after such a long wait).

But it's definitely a grower.

It's starting to grow on me a bit. I'm still having trouble enjoying the chorus on both Unknown Caller and Cedars of Lebanon and GOYB is just flat out cheesy. I am beginning to like the rest of the cd more and more, thankfully.

It's starting to grow on me a bit. I'm still having trouble enjoying the chorus on both Unknown Caller and Cedars of Lebanon and GOYB is just flat out cheesy. I am beginning to like the rest of the cd more and more, thankfully.

I think you have to give it time ("let it grow"). I don't think you can honestly say you love or hate an album in a matter of one or two listens. I remember when Beautiful Day came out I thought it sucked and was an average song at best. Now it is one of my favorites(play it before Steeler games). You may love this album in a month or you may hate it in two months...either way, give it time. I really like it now but I still want to see if I feel the same way in May or June. The only thing I KNOW right now is that Magnificent will always be kick ass :drool:

The lyrics are too inscrutable for me to connect with, at least not yet. "I did not notice the passers by and they did not notice me." Just seems boring. And for the most part the songs lack the hooks to motivate repeated listening. I'm tempted to "force quit and move to trash" the album from my hard drive... which bums me out because I've been a fan since 1983.

The lyrics are too inscrutable for me to connect with, at least not yet. "I did not notice the passers by and they did not notice me." Just seems boring. And for the most part the songs lack the hooks to motivate repeated listening. I'm tempted to "force quit and move to trash" the album from my hard drive... which bums me out because I've been a fan since 1983.

I don't think it's a boring line at all. In fact, I think there is a certain brilliance in the way that line sums up so much of human existence...people focusing on themselves and not on those around them. A person on top of the world could skip happily past a person who is in mental/emotional agony but sort of holding it in in public, and neither would notice the other.

I have to agree with the line you quoted from him actually. It's quite true. It's amazing how many people were like "OMG HTDAAB IS THEIR BEST ALBUM EVER!!!!" at one point and now think it's their worst album. You can't properly review an album from the first listen, just because of the excitement being such a large factor.

I have to agree with the line you quoted from him actually. It's quite true. It's amazing how many people were like "OMG HTDAAB IS THEIR BEST ALBUM EVER!!!!" at one point and now think it's their worst album. You can't properly review an album from the first listen, just because of the excitement being such a large factor.

To take it a step further, you cant review an album properly until a decent amount of time has passed (a month, two months, six months, ect..) and you can reflect on it. It goes both ways too; when I first heard Beautiful Day, I thought it stunk. Now I consider it a classic song.

Well I guess I will jump into this party boat since this thread basically is where I should be able to post. One of my big complaints with this album is the almost downright repetition from past U2 works or lifting of melodies from other songs. I find myself listening to something and being like, yeah this sounds good, but it sounded good 9 years ago as "Walk On" (Unknown caller) or Crazy (Journey/Tina Turner) or GOYB (Wild Wild West) or NLOTH (The Fly). The kicker is White as Snow (Oh Come oh Come Emmanuel), I feel like I'm in 3rd grade CCD class at Our Lady of Peace Church. It's like I'm listening to a cd full of covers of old hits. I mean come on, they couldn't release an album of 10 songs with their own hooks and guitars? It just smacks of either laziness or lack of creativity.

Magnificent, Breathe, Fez: Being born are really the only songs on this album worth a pint of piss IMHO.

I don't know, Unknown Caller and Crazy are decent as well, but they sound generic with their samples.

What Journey and Tina Turner song does Crazy Tonight sound like?

Just curious.

definitely "Faithfully" by Journey...Tina Turner? No Goddamned idea on that one, I waouldn't be caught dead listening to fucking Tina Turner. Anyway, the poster did have a point. Most of the songs on this cd (good or bad) just sound recycled. Admit it.

definitely "Faithfully" by Journey...Tina Turner? No Goddamned idea on that one, I waouldn't be caught dead listening to fucking Tina Turner. Anyway, the poster did have a point. Most of the songs on this cd (good or bad) just sound recycled. Admit it.

Recycled? Let's have more specific references.

I'll admit that something similar to The Fly riff shows up in NLOTH.
It's even the same key. I said as much in a different thread.

Crazy Tonight and Faithfully aren't even the same key.

If you drop Crazy down or raise Faithully up, then they are the same and the note patterns are different.

So, if this is what it takes for recycled material, then you'd be accusing a lot of people of recycling material.

Watch out musicians, stay away from those major chords!!
Don't want to recycle Jonathan Cain for God's sake!!!!

You know what I mean? There is nothing new under the sun, unless you use a different technology. What are the other bits you guys are talking about?

"Simply the best" by Tina Turner - the chorus in that song, the second you hear the chorus you'll know right away.

It's not the same either but again, if you are going to accuse every combination of the notes F to E, while playing in F, you could come up with a bunch more.

That's why they don't have copyright lawsuits over such similarities.
Common. Really, really common.

Yes, maybe Crazy is all too common.
That's fair, but to say it's recycled...rock and roll is nothing but recycling.

Crazy tonight opening notes that are repeated through the song always reminded me of Abba. The winner takes it all I think.

Recycled? Let's have more specific references.

I'll admit that something similar to The Fly riff shows up in NLOTH.
It's even the same key. I said as much in a different thread.

Crazy Tonight and Faithfully aren't even the same key.

If you drop Crazy down or raise Faithully up, then they are the same and the note patterns are different.

So, if this is what it takes for recycled material, then you'd be accusing a lot of people of recycling material.

Watch out musicians, stay away from those major chords!!
Don't want to recycle Jonathan Cain for God's sake!!!!

You know what I mean? There is nothing new under the sun, unless you use a different technology. What are the other bits you guys are talking about?

We detect smiliarities with songs because there are few notes to play, most riffs have already been invented and all that. But no, no Tina on the horizon. At least for my good ears.

I think its funny the way we seem to pick up other songs listening to these ones

for some reason when I listen to MOS I get OMD's Pandora's box coming into my head even though I don't get the connection myself why it happens :ohmy:

Well I guess I will jump into this party boat since this thread basically is where I should be able to post. One of my big complaints with this album is the almost downright repetition from past U2 works or lifting of melodies from other songs. I find myself listening to something and being like, yeah this sounds good, but it sounded good 9 years ago as "Walk On" (Unknown caller) or Crazy (Journey/Tina Turner) or GOYB (Wild Wild West) or NLOTH (The Fly). The kicker is White as Snow (Oh Come oh Come Emmanuel), I feel like I'm in 3rd grade CCD class at Our Lady of Peace Church. It's like I'm listening to a cd full of covers of old hits. I mean come on, they couldn't release an album of 10 songs with their own hooks and guitars? It just smacks of either laziness or lack of creativity.

I think your arguments smack of laziness and lack of creativity. You've been shown time and time again by several different posters that these "repetitions" or "rip offs" that you think you hear are wrong, yet you try and find as many threads to post them in.

That's pretty much the definition of a troll.

I think your arguments smack of laziness and lack of creativity. You've been shown time and time again by several different posters that these "repetitions" or "rip offs" that you think you hear are wrong, yet you try and find as many threads to post them in.

That's pretty much the definition of a troll.

How could he be wrong when even some of the more positive critics reviews out there draw the same conclusions? He might not have said anything new, but he isn't wrong because almost everyone with two working ears can hear the similarities he's mentioned.

How could he be wrong when even some of the more positive critics reviews out there draw the same conclusions? He might not have said anything new, but he isn't wrong because almost everyone with two working ears can hear the similarities he's mentioned.

you're good at not liking U2. :applaud:

How could he be wrong? Wow you've become a cliche of yourself.

When one says "this is a complete rip off of ______".

and then someone who knows something about music comes in and says:

"No actually the chord progression of this song is this, and the song you speak of is this, they aren't even close."

Then you are wrong. This isn't about opinion. A chord is a chord a note is a note. If I play an E chord, I'm playing an E chord it doesn't matter if Walkon's opinion is that I'm playing an Am chord. This is one part of music where opinion doesn't matter. Why is this so hard for some of you? :scratch:

Do all of you trolls just back each other up out of principle, did you all sign a contract, or are you the people that Last Edge On Earth knows?

Back
Top Bottom