The 'I don't seem to like the new album' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally I think NLOTH blows the last two albums away,the more I compare the new album with the last two...I hear a more musically interesting,less safe (i.e. commmercially sounding) album that does what it was designed to do...stand out as an album!
In an age of people riddled with ADD who pick apart every song within an album(I have been guilty of this) I can listen to this album from beginning to end and not feel the urge to hit rewind or fast foward button...I could never do that with the last two albums.

My advice: keep listening! After repeated listens (perhaps a grand total of 40), I've come to the conclusion that NLOTH is easily in the top three of U2's catalogue...with the potential to rise.

I'm betting that these songs will simply explode live.

My advice: keep listening! After repeated listens (perhaps a grand total of 40), I've come to the conclusion that NLOTH is easily in the top three of U2's catalogue...with the potential to rise.

I'm betting that these songs will simply explode live.

One small advice: do not bet with something too valuable, because, well :wink:

Same here, I really like parts but as a whole it doesn't do much for me.

I like that Bono pokes fun at himself.

I like the love love love love background vocals.

I like the Oasis-ish "C'mon on ye people".

Some of the little break downs are cool.

I just think this is one where Edge didn't have a great day...

I’m the reverse. I don’t mind the music too much, just really hate the lyrics, and their delivery. I think it’s really, really cheesy and drags the music down as well. Makes the whole thing sound tacky to me. A long way below the overall quality of the rest of the album.

"Josephine be careful of small men with cheesy f-ing lyrics" should have been the line

I think Bono should stop poking fun at himself. He should start making fun of Edge.

"Josephine be careful of small men with cheesy f-ing lyrics" should have been the line

I think Bono should stop poking fun at himself. He should start making fun of Edge.

but that would be making fun of the future.

or start threads like "Who dropped the ball" or "ABSOLUTELY REPULSED", but eventually you end up becoming a poster like shaunvox or Gibson Explorer and troll the forums, trying to convince people that U2 sucks, but you never cross the line far enough to get banned. :wink:

If there is one thing wrong, it was releasing Get on Your Boots as the 1st single ("sexy boots" just kills me when I hear it). I dont mind the song but it just didn't do it for the masses. Other than that, I dont think anyone dropped the ball. I like the production, Adam/Larry/Edge are fantastic on this album. Lyrics...I don't have a problem with (okay, again "Sexy Boots"?? WTF). Im still trying to LISTEN to the album. I have heard it several times but now I need to listen.... :corn:

Boots would have been an interesting album cut and would be better appreciated if it were not a first single. IMO, it fails much in the same way that Discotheque did (I do like both songs!) in that both really had an influence on how casual and serious fans alike perceived the rest of the two albums. Gone and Breathe (IMO) would have been much better lead-off singles.

album is getting better and better...I only heard it for the first time at the weekend through speakers...I've been listening to it since the leak on my ipod...

Gave it a new lease of life when it booms through the room

You bumped a thread just to tell us "U2 can handle it" and to respond to someone who has been banned?

Have you still not heard the album?

I'm not going to go through the whole thread reading replies and such, I'm giving my own opinion here. I think this album is so much better than ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Just the music alone can stand against the last two albums. Yes there is still some very cringe worthy lyrics thrown in and I think unfortunately they will be the norm now more than the exception. This album is getting better and better every time I listen to it. Unfortunately Boots is not - it is one of my least fav songs of all time by them and sinking very fast. I still wonder if they hadn't released it as a lead single if I would have such disdain for it. :hmm:

The fact that an individual good spend a solid chunk of time posting and discussing an album they haven't heard is beyond mind-boggling. It actually scares me a little.

^ can I ask why he hasn't heard the album yet? is it common knowledge on here?

It's so post post modern it's untrue... welcome to the future...:sad:

NLOTH CHART UPDATE
Not a real good second week in North America for NLOTH. In the U.S., the album fell to No. 3 on the Billboard chart, with sales of 132,000 -- a 73% drop from opening week. Up in Canada, NLOTH remained No. 1, but sales dropped 67% to about 21,000 copies.

NLOTH CHART UPDATE
Not a real good second week in North America for NLOTH. In the U.S., the album fell to No. 3 on the Billboard chart, with sales of 132,000 -- a 73% drop from opening week. Up in Canada, NLOTH remained No. 1, but sales dropped 67% to about 21,000 copies.

I hope Bono will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom