the frames

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They were awesome last night. I was a tad disappointed that the focus was their fun, entertaining songs rather than their more serious and beautiful songs. I fear the majority of the audience didn't know them and now they think they're just a fun band with a goofball showman instead of a lot more than that, a band with depth and substance and some gorgeous music. But, that said, they won the crowd over and I guess that was what they were going for. Hopefully people bought "For the Birds" at the show and will discover for themselves that there's a lot more going on with them than what they may have seen last night. AND, they certainly were a nice balance to Damien's way out there intensity.

Our seats were to die for. And now the housemate is playing his guitar and singing "What Happens When the Heart Just Stops" as I write. :)

:applaud:
I know, Glen has a tendency to be silly...I was worried that in a little amount of time for opening bands, they wouldn't come across fully. I'm so glad you got to see them though!! :D

Saw them over the weekend opening for Damien...:applaud: SO good. I wish they could've played for longer. I think they made many new fans. :yes:

Alright...so on April 26th, the frames are headlining a show in chicago:

"Hideout, Chicago, IL ** FRAMES HEADLINE SHOW **
special guests: tba
doors: 9PM
tickets: $10.00 (directly from the Hideout)
venue: www.hideoutchicago.com
note: The Frames have a day off so are performing an extra show in chicago (expect a good hour or two of music!!)."

I VERY SADLY can't get to this show, but if I could, I would. I HIGHLY recommend that anyone in the Chicago area go. The Frames are one of those bands that I really don't think anyone could NOT enjoy. Anyway, so...I'd go if you can. :)

DiGi said:
I found Ash and The Frames covering Debaser by the Pixies last night. The word awesome comes to mind.
:drool:

a picture I took at a show:
33%3A595%3A%3B23232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2329%3D9%3B%3A%3D38%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323532%3C46%3A8%3Bot1lsi

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've just sent it on to a friend in Chicago and begged her to go for me.

:) Sure. The Hideout is a really tiny place - I'd been there before, but never to see a band. It holds fewer than 200 people, to give you an idea.

The Wheels opened the show ... comprised of roadies for the Frames and Damien Rice. They were really fun - they played a few cover songs including Revolution, I Feel Fine, and Southern Man. Everyone was singing along.

Then the Frames came out and played for about two and a quarter hours. They just kept playing more encores; it was fabulous. Lisa Hannigan from Damien's band was there, and she helped out on many songs including her own a cappella version of "Down In The River To Pray." Here's a setlist I saw somewhere else - it might have some omissions, and the order may be off a little bit, but it's mostly accurate:

the wheels (opener):

revolution (the beatles)
southern man (neil young)
i feel fine (the beatles)
? (pretty sure it was another beatles cover)

the frames:

santa maria
plateau (jane says tag)
happy
what happens when the heart just stops
locusts
lay me down
pavement tune
revelate
where is my mind? (the pixies)
finally
caution to the birds
seven day mile
friend and foe
keepsake (main set ended with this, i'm pretty sure)

the blood (glen solo)
fake (ring of fire tag)
fitzcarraldo

new partner (will oldham)

skylarkin (mic christopher) (lisa & glen on vocals)
down to the river to pray (lisa solo vocals)

devil town
star star (pure imagination tag)

(w/ the wheels)
out on the weekend (neil young)
gigantic (the pixies)

It was an amazing night of music. :D Everyone was just sort of hanging out afterward, too.

OH, WOW. I'm...wow...so envious. How amazing. I HAVE to see them headline a show again sometime soon. I think they are coming back at the end of the year. I hope. I need them to. Isn't devil town fun? I love seeing them do that live. And Pavement Tune... The Wheels sounds way fun as well. :sigh:

Thanks for the info. I'm living vicariously through you!

Jenn did not mention that anyone who will be in Dublin on August 21st should plan on going to their show at Marlay Park

The line up as follows:
halite
bellx1
IDLEWILD
supergrass

and The Frames are headlining

I think my subconscious must be trying to block that show from my mind...the pure torture of not being able to attend is excruciating.

WOW. Absolutely amazing. Honestly SUCH a good show. I fully converted three people to frames fans at the show last night. :) If anyone can go to one of them, do. You'll love it. Very much looking forward to tonight.

Pax, were you there? Sorry we didn't find each other if so!

:mad:

I didn't go. The friend I was supposed to go with got very sick, and I couldn't find anyone else to go on short notice. I was considering just going alone, but I don't know that neighborhood is Philadelphia well (at all, really), and I was a bit afraid of having to park a mile away and walk back to my car alone and such...which is to say nothing of just not liking to make long (Philly is about 2 hours for me) car trips to unfamiliar places by myself.

I'm glad you had a good time, though. :up:

Ok, they were AMAZING in DC. I can't even begin to explain...DiGi, come help me explain here....
They ended up doing about 3 encores or so, had the crowd so unbelieveably into it all...
They just have such a good time and so clearly enjoy performing, getting the crowd into it, and even though they completely get off track, it just makes it better. Honestly, on u2 live level for me. eeek.

Yes, so awesome last night. Lets see there was a Pixies cover of Where is My Mind, Revelate, Fake, Lay Me Down. OK the entire set list was just awesome. Even some of the songs on Burn The Maps that I had not taken to completely yet, were awesome.

I could have listened for hours. That was the first time I saw them and Glen is really good to watch. He was really into the show and just having a good time.

If they are coming to your area, you need to go see them.

I heard one of their songs for the first time the other day, 'Finally'. I like it.

Who would you relate them to? What genre are they? Where are they even from? I'm too lazy to look it up. :wink:

u2popmofo said:
I heard one of their songs for the first time the other day, 'Finally'. I like it.

Who would you relate them to? What genre are they? Where are they even from? I'm too lazy to look it up. :wink:

They're Ireland's second biggest band. They have a charismatic frontman named Glen Hansard who has a great voice and is quite amusing onstage--a bit of comedian sometimes. He writes gorgeous ballads but they also totally rock out, especially live. Great lyrics, great music, great band with a touch of the traditional Irish sound but much more than that. I recommend For the Birds and their live record Setlist. I haven't heard the new record except for a quick listen in Borders. They are a fantastic live band.

Glad you guys enjoyed the show! I wish they were coming near me on this tour. :mad: They are road trip worthy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom