The Final Countdown - U2 at Sphere - General Discussion Thread Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d love to see Rattle and Hum in a theater or, even better, the whole Sun Devil stadium show.

That said, would either be worth 2 hours of my very short Vegas trip? Probably not. I’m also imaging this is probably going to be much moreso a screening room than a theater, probably not too much bigger than someone’s 65 inch.

Huh, interesting. Wonder if he'll start spinning at 8 PM or after doors open.

Yeah, since I don't have GA I don't really need to get there early and would like to know what time the band actually takes the stage.

Good news is that the Night 1 people will be able to give that info to us.

DJ opener better just mean someone is covering the pre show PA mix. No need for a full opening set.

If he starts at 8, there’s no need for the usual 45-60 minute wait time between sets, either - very little to tear down and put away backstage. In that case, U2 on stage no later than 9:00 is my guess. Gives fans more than enough time to enter and get settled.

More from the U2songs article:

https://www.u2songs.com/news/opening_act_pauli_the_psm_lovejoy

Gavin called the opening act an “Ultra Violet Dance Party” and suggested the main U2 show is intense on many sensory levels, and they’ve had to add some slower moments to the show to prevent sensory overload. That last part should help alleviate fears that the band is doing some sort of acoustic show. We’ve been told they’ve rehearsed very few songs in an acoustic manner.

If he starts at 8, there’s no need for the usual 45-60 minute wait time between sets, either - very little to tear down and put away backstage. In that case, U2 on stage no later than 9:00 is my guess. Gives fans more than enough time to enter and get settled.

More from the U2songs article:

https://www.u2songs.com/news/opening_act_pauli_the_psm_lovejoy

I don’t think my fears are alleviated, because “very few” acoustic songs still means some.

Trying to figure out which i’d be least bothered by…

Doors open 8pm but they don't say whether that's EST or PST time! To The Facebook!

I don’t think my fears are alleviated, because “very few” acoustic songs still means some.

Trying to figure out which i’d be least bothered by…

There was always going to be an acoustic/stripped-down segment in this show, like there's been in every U2 concert for 30 years. If there's a heavy Zoo TV element to the concert, the songs might be Angel of Harlem, TTTYLATW, and Dancing Queen.

There was always going to be an acoustic/stripped-down segment in this show, like there's been in every U2 concert for 30 years. If there's a heavy Zoo TV element to the concert, the songs might be Angel of Harlem, TTTYLATW, and Dancing Queen.

Exactly!

I don't know why people are freaking out on this count!

"It's gonna be AB performed SOS style" "It's gonna be UV JT 30 but updated for different women and not performed as well" "It's gonna be karaoke One" "Half the set will be acoustic."

What about the branding of this particular show or this band's very short history with anniversary, full album shows suggests they'd do anything remotely like people fear?

How were the JT songs played? Every single one as close to the originals as possible! Exit arguably better than 1987 performances. Even the played to death big 3 had renewed energy. In God's Country and Trip through your wires shocked me how close they sounded to their 1987 outings.

I remember people commenting during JT 2017 rehearsals that Edge had some of his 1987 pedals, guitars, rigs, etc back and there was talk from Dallas or maybe even Edge about how he was going through the exact effects. Even though One Tree Hill for example had a handful of outings on Vertigo and 360, there was considerable attention paid to doing it faithful to the classic version. Why would Love is Blindness, for example, be any different?

It's a theme with too many people in U2 fan world the last decade or so. People are equating them not doing what they'd like them to do with them being lazy, uninspired or half assed. Which is just objectively not true! Every tour with the possible exception of Popmart, they come in incredibly well rehearsed, believing in whatever they're going for that time and they give it their all.

Every AB song will be performed as faithfully to either the album or live Zoo TV versions as they are physically capable of getting them! Hell, I could even see Love is Blindness getting the Exit treatment and go from amazing the first time to show stopping moment this time. Or Acrobat being that much better than E&I. Or them saying "well, we never really truly did So Cruel fully, let's make it a highlight."

Gavin saying it's the most "rock and roll" he's heard them in years? I mean, you could say that's just hype, but who is really listening to him outside the hard cores like us? It's not like delusional Bono saying "molten metal" to try and promote the next album.

Gavin heard I&E, obviously and that was as "rock" as I've heard them. They came out firing and ready to prove something on that tour. Had some INSPIRED, ELECTRIC shows!

I'm looking at the comments as well as the Vegas/Sphere setting and the Zoo TV vibe they're obviously going for.

This is going to make a lot of people walk back their words. It is hard for us as multi show veterans to see sometimes. I try and bring a U2 first-timer to every tour and even shows that I've assessed as middle of the pack for U2 have left my friends SPEECHLESS on every tour from Vertigo to JT 30!

I far from agree with everything they've done, but they have NEVER given me a reason to doubt what Larry told some critic (Derogatis/Chicago maybe?) years ago: "When it's time for U2 to get that proverbial bullet to the head, we're going to do it ourselves, thank you very much!"

They've lost little or nothing in terms of live performances. And whatever they've lost with age, it shows way less than with some acts because they still give it their all. Agree or disagree with the setlist or how songs were done, I've never seen them not BRING IT in terms of energy and commitment to putting on the best show they thought they could.
They're not going to open a venue like this, with AB no less, and have the talk be "yeah, they mailed it in and played it lounge style. Like a warm up for the buffet!"

Last edited:
Exactly!

I don't know why people are freaking out on this count!

"It's gonna be AB performed SOS style" "It's gonna be UV JT 30 but updated for different women and not performed as well" "It's gonna be karaoke One" "Half the set will be acoustic."

What about the branding of this particular show or this band's very short history with anniversary, full album shows suggests they'd do anything remotely like people fear?

How were the JT songs played? Every single one as close to the originals as possible! Exit arguably better than 1987 performances. Even the played to death big 3 had renewed energy. In God's Country and Trip through your wires shocked me how close they sounded to their 1987 outings.

I remember people commenting during JT 2017 rehearsals that Edge had some of his 1987 pedals, guitars, rigs, etc back and there was talk from Dallas or maybe even Edge about how he was going through the exact effects. Even though One Tree Hill for example had a handful of outings on Vertigo and 360, there was considerable attention paid to doing it faithful to the classic version. Why would Love is Blindness, for example, be any different?

It's a theme with too many people in U2 fan world the last decade or so. People are equating them not doing what they'd like them to do with them being lazy, uninspired or half assed. Which is just objectively not true! Every tour with the possible exception of Popmart, they come in incredibly well rehearsed, believing in whatever they're going for that time and they give it their all.

Every AB song will be performed as faithfully to either the album or live Zoo TV versions as they are physically capable of getting them! Hell, I could even see Love is Blindness getting the Exit treatment and go from amazing the first time to show stopping moment this time. Or Acrobat being that much better than E&I. Or them saying "well, we never really truly did So Cruel fully, let's make it a highlight."

Gavin saying it's the most "rock and roll" he's heard them in years? I mean, you could say that's just hype, but who is really listening to him outside the hard cores like us? It's not like delusional Bono saying "molten metal" to try and promote the next album.

Gavin heard I&E, obviously and that was as "rock" as I've heard them. They came out firing and ready to prove something on that tour. Had some INSPIRED, ELECTRIC shows!

I'm looking at the comments as well as the Vegas/Sphere setting and the Zoo TV vibe they're obviously going for.

This is going to make a lot of people walk back their words. It is hard for us as multi show veterans to see sometimes. I try and bring a U2 first-timer to every tour and even shows that I've assessed as middle of the pack for U2 have left my friends SPEECHLESS on every tour from Vertigo to JT 30!

I far from agree with everything they've done, but they have NEVER given me a reason to doubt what Larry told some critic (Derogatis/Chicago maybe?) years ago: "When it's time for U2 to get that proverbial bullet to the head, we're going to do it ourselves, thank you very much!"

They've lost little or nothing in terms of live performances. And whatever they've lost with age, it shows way less than with some acts because they still give it their all. Agree or disagree with the setlist or how songs were done, I've never seen them not BRING IT in terms of energy and commitment to putting on the best show they thought they could.
They're not going to open a venue like this, with AB no less, and have the talk be "yeah, they mailed it in and played it lounge style. Like a warm up for the buffet!"

Thank you ????

So re GA, you can either just take your chances (which doesn’t really bother me given the size of GA and how merry I’ll be on the Las Vegas spirit…) or queue at the venue at Ian on show day for a priority wrist band to get in a wee bit earlier?

Which will mean more queuing with actual people and the secret list of people it in the queue who will also all be ahead of you?

I'm starting a queue for Sec 302 so I can get to my seat before anyone else gets there.

So re GA, you can either just take your chances (which doesn’t really bother me given the size of GA and how merry I’ll be on the Las Vegas spirit…) or queue at the venue at Ian on show day for a priority wrist band to get in a wee bit earlier?

Which will mean more queuing with actual people and the secret list of people it in the queue who will also all be ahead of you?
Sounds about right.

All things considered, I probably WILL be up at 8 am because my body will wake me up as of I'm still on the east coast.

But, uh, yea - no desire to do the wristband thing. Thankfully neither does LN7 or I'd be out there at the ass crack of dawn Friday lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom