The double digit leak thread: Leak Thread 10.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard him say that he would have the album on Thursday this morning and then he promised a track later on in the show, and he played NLOTH 2. This happened before the last album as well and I definitly remember him playing Yahweh, COBL and ABOY without hyping up the songs at all.

I'd say that all of the tracks on NLOTH will have been played on both of irelands big radio stations Today FM and 2FM before it is released

Yes--but he was playing tracks that had already leaked all over the world. That makes a pretty big difference.

i agree :up::up::wink:
school is cool when u wanna write something. :drool:

:wink:

Well, I do write a lot myself: screenplays. I love films and I intend to do something related to it in university, so I'm starting to write some screenplays. But yeah, I need to go to school soon.

I don't think that's the way Universal sees it at all--they stopped Walmart and the other site from playing 30 second clips! I'm usually pretty optimistic about these types of things, but I just don't see how this makes sense (from the record company's perspective).

Please convince me I'm wrong :)

i think with every release, they probably set a date where tracks can be played on radio just to peak interest. from their perspective, they're not leaking the entire album, so there's less of the risk of losing sales. if anything, it's an old sales routine, give out samples to the public....wet their appetite a little. while there aren't any direct links to confirm this, we have had a lot of chatter about the Feb 19th date, so i feel pretty good about this one. i don't blame you for being skeptical though, considering all the bullshit we've dealt with in the last week.

If I was an artist, I wouldn't want my fans to have their first listen be poor quality. Which is why i don't understand the logic of a pre-radio release. But then again, look at how excited we were after the beach clips surfaced.

Yeah, I really think this will only happen by some gaping Universal oversight or a random band override/allowance.

I don't think that's the way Universal sees it at all--they stopped Walmart and the other site from playing 30 second clips! I'm usually pretty optimistic about these types of things, but I just don't see how this makes sense (from the record company's perspective).

Please convince me I'm wrong :)

True that Universal seems to be weary of anything coming out before the big day, but who knows what their strategy really is...

Possibly:
1. They are ok with parts of the album coming out into the wild before the release date, but on their own terms, and under their planned schedule
2. Having the 30 sec clips on and off was part of the plan somehow

But who knows :shrug:

Well, I do write a lot myself: screenplays. I love films and I intend to do something related to it in university, so I'm starting to write some screenplays. But yeah, I need to go to school soon.

Your a writer MrMac? That's awesome! I have a lot of creative writing in my degree, and I teach writing classes online for a virtual school. :)

If I was an artist, I wouldn't want my fans to have their first listen be poor quality. Which is why i don't understand the logic of a pre-radio release. But then again, look at how excited we were after the beach clips surfaced.

yeah i get this logic, but then again a pre-released release builds hype etc, and surely drives sales.

Look at it like a movie trailer. LotR trailers were playing months before the movies' releases, every big movie is like this. Yes, it's a stretch to compare movies and albums, but I'm just thinking the same logic could apply.

Get some songs on the radio, get some air-play and discussion (and outside of these threads the discussion on U2's new album has been pretty minimal) and let people hear what it is they can buy in a week's time.

It makes sense to me, hence I think we will hear some songs on the radio within the next few days. Not a 'leak' - but a marketing strategy.

i think with every release, they probably set a date where tracks can be played on radio just to peak interest. from their perspective, they're not leaking the entire album, so there's less of the risk of losing sales. if anything, it's an old sales routine, give out samples to the public....wet their appetite a little. while there aren't any direct links to confirm this, we have had a lot of chatter about the Feb 19th date, so i feel pretty good about this one. i don't blame you for being skeptical though, considering all the bullshit we've dealt with in the last week.

Yeah, it sounds more plausible when you put it that way. I think I may be less open to the idea because I don't want to be put in a situation where I have to choose between my first listen being full-length high quality vs. a couple songs with crap quality :wink:.

i agree. i think this happens more because of the reasons in my above post. they're offering samples as a sales routine.

yeah i get this logic, but then again a pre-released release builds hype etc, and surely drives sales.

Look at it like a movie trailer. LotR trailers were playing months before the movies' releases, every big movie is like this. Yes, it's a stretch to compare movies and albums, but I'm just thinking the same logic could apply.

Get some songs on the radio, get some air-play and discussion (and outside of these threads the discussion on U2's new album has been pretty minimal) and let people hear what it is they can buy in a week's time.

It makes sense to me, hence I think we will hear some songs on the radio within the next few days. Not a 'leak' - but a marketing strategy.

Good points. I guess my question then would be: why the blocking of the 30-second clips?

And another question: is playing a couple of extra songs on Irish radio really going to impact sales? I find it a bit hard to believe. The single is out and everyone knows the album is coming.

Yes me too :drool::drool::drool: write is the BEST THING EVERRRR :rockon::rockon::rockon: after music and U2 of course and reading :drool::drool::drool:
i'd like to be a jornalist... but... :|

Yeah, it sounds more plausible when you put it that way. I think I may be less open to the idea because I don't want to be put in a situation where I have to choose between my first listen being full-length high quality vs. a couple songs with crap quality :wink:.

understandable. i'll be more inclined to listen if they play one of the songs that was a beach clip. so Unknown Caller, Breathe, or Magnificent i would listen to since it's quite the upgrade from the previous version. :D

Your a writer MrMac? That's awesome! I have a lot of creative writing in my degree, and I teach writing classes online for a virtual school. :)

Well, I wouldn't call myself a "writer". Yet. :wink: j/k
I love films, so I'm starting to write screenplays to see what I'm able to come up with for now just for fun, but I'm sure I'll do something related to films in university and now I want to see if I can actually write something. Anyway, I need to improve my english too, cause I prefer to write in english.

Good points. I guess my question then would be: why the blocking of the 30-second clips?

because some record company gimp accidentally began implementing the old marketing campaign from Pop. Universal realised what he'd done, fixed the problem and sent him to Alice Springs

understandable. i'll be more inclined to listen if they play one of the songs that was a beach clip. so Unknown Caller, Breathe, or Magnificent i would listen to since it's quite the upgrade from the previous version. :D

Great point--you just talked me into it!

This post totally brings into doubt your 'connections' with people in Universal. You wouldn't have to see that website to know that NLOTH was coming out in Japan early.

heh, yeah. im skeptical of anybody who says i work at universal/mercury/interscope etc and can't provide anything but vague details on anything.

And another question: is playing a couple of extra songs on Irish radio really going to impact sales? I find it a bit hard to believe. The single is out and everyone knows the album is coming.

true, maybe they just didn't want clips coming out that far in advance because they didn't want them to become out of sight/out of mind.

I was trying to think why they might... my half assed conclusion would be to prevent people from trying to download the album quality songs. If people discover the songs are out... they will look on the net for them and now have it. Maybe if they hear them on the radio first the thought is the curiosity is done with and will buy the album.

I know probably stupid logic as myself it would make me crave wanting it more. just a thought:huh:

Yes me too :drool::drool::drool: write is the BEST THING EVERRRR :rockon::rockon::rockon: after music and U2 of course and reading :drool::drool::drool:
i'd like to be a jornalist... but... :|

Yes!

Why ":|"? (Not sure if should keep this conversation here... we kinda off-topic :whistle:)

true, maybe they just didn't want clips coming out that far in advance because they didn't want them to become out of sight/out of mind.

Yeah--they could also be doing the radio play as a nice gesture for Irish, "hometown" fans.

Well, I wouldn't call myself a "writer". Yet. :wink: j/k
I love films, so I'm starting to write screenplays to see what I'm able to come up with for now. Now, it's just for fun, but I'm sure I'll do something related to films in university and now I want to see if I can actually write something. Anyway, I need to improve my english too, cause I prefer to write in english.

That really is awesome. Best of luck with that! :wave:

And just for the record, you speak/write English better than probably most people I know here in the US. :|

:lol::wink:

Edit: sorry, thread derailing over. :reject:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom