The Crystal Ballroom - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish there was a way to get deluxe version off of iTunes

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

My hope is that in this individual track driven music marketplace now, that people will discover The Crystal Ballroom and start downloading it by the hundreds of thousands as an individual track, leading the band to make it a single.

One can dream

I am still a little upset they did not include a DVD cd into this deluxe edition :tsk:
On their HTDAAB cd they released it with a cool DVD cd, but then they stopped
doing it. Why?
It was very exciting to see that special DVD. Nothing special really, as far as
videos go, but it was a cool little extra bonus for the fans.
But I guess I can live without it, at least its a double cd package.

The Crystal Ballroom is for me the most disco / pop song of U2 for ages.
A little bit of funk and groove in this masterpiece :)
I was in love with SOI before the disc2 and before TCB hits my face.
I just regret not to have the 12 inch mix in the deluxe version.
:love:

I am still a little upset they did not include a DVD cd into this deluxe edition :tsk:
On their HTDAAB cd they released it with a cool DVD cd, but then they stopped
doing it. Why?
It was very exciting to see that special DVD. Nothing special really, as far as
videos go, but it was a cool little extra bonus for the fans.
But I guess I can live without it, at least its a double cd package.

I think they'll do that sort of thing with SoE. Package SoI and SoE together and add in a bunch of extras (as well as offer SoE as a standard single album).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

I think they'll do that sort of thing with SoE. Package SoI and SoE together and add in a bunch of extras (as well as offer SoE as a standard single album).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

It's likely that SOE will also come as an App, which I believe is the "new format" with Apple they've been going on about. If that's the case, you can expect to see video content bundled into the App, along with a lot of other goodies (most of which I won't care about).

I am not sure if that APPLE new music thing is ready yet. They did mention that it was
only ready in about 18 months, or something, from now.
That´s like almost 2 years. I can´t wait that long for SOE for 18 months to 2 years to
be released !
All the U2 excitement will fizzle down.
I am guessing that they plan on doing this while they are touring, just to boost
up sales tickets for the shows. Perhaps that's the plan for world domination.

I saw in a Billboard article that it might not be on iTunes until November, which is strange.

Not really. This was reported back in September. Apple got the 5 week exclusive, now it's other retailers turn. This is no doubt something designed to lessen the sting for brick and mortar retailers and other digital content providers like Amazon who lost a lot of sales over the Apple giveaway.

Not really. This was reported back in September. Apple got the 5 week exclusive, now it's other retailers turn. This is no doubt something designed to lessen the sting for brick and mortar retailers and other digital content providers like Amazon who lost a lot of sales over the Apple giveaway.

Yes, I realized that shortly after I wrote the post. :D

The most hyped not-quite-ready-for-the-album song in a U2 fan community since Mercy.

The difference is Mercy was better than anything on HTDAAB, this would the 10th or 11th best song on SOI.

Don't try and outthink the room, there's a very simple very obvious reason this is a B-Side and not on the album.

The most hyped not-quite-ready-for-the-album song in a U2 fan community since Mercy.

The difference is Mercy was better than anything on HTDAAB, this would the 10th or 11th best song on SOI.

Don't try and outthink the room, there's a very simple very obvious reason this is a B-Side and not on the album.

This is absolutely not a b side. That's like calling The Ground Beneath Her Feet a b side. It's not; it should've been on the album, not just as a bonus track.

This is absolutely not a b side. That's like calling The Ground Beneath Her Feet a b side. It's not; it should've been on the album, not just as a bonus track.

Should have been.
Could have been.
Might have been.

Wasn't.

It's a B-Side.

A decent one, better than most they've released, but it's right where it belongs.

Correct, it is not a B side, it is a song from a movie soundtrack that was added the the Euro versions and a few other countries of ATYCLB. It was not part of the "official" album that was released worldwide.

The fact that Mercy was better than anything on HTDAAB isn't saying anything. Mercy was a nice song, and I liked it, but I honestly haven't listened to a U2 song as frequently as I have listened to TCB since ATYCLB era, except for maybe The Troubles. Nothing else on SOI even comes close for me, and that's not just because I'm caught up in the "b-side/rarity/unreleased tracks are best" hype. It's a catchy, different, dancy tune that's constantly been stuck in my head.

I mean, Lucifer's Hands isn't garnering this much attention. Crystal Ballroom is a legitimately appealing track. It's appeal is clearly vast. I don't like ISHFWILF that much, but there is no denying it is a great song in the sense that it's popular. So far, amongst the ppl that have heard it, Crystal Ballroom seems to be favored over much of the album cuts.

I mean, Lucifer's Hands isn't garnering this much attention. Crystal Ballroom is a legitimately appealing track. It's appeal is clearly vast. I don't like ISHFWILF that much, but there is no denying it is a great song in the sense that it's popular. So far, amongst the ppl that have heard it, Crystal Ballroom seems to be favored over much of the album cuts.

I would say that is also due to the fact that most have not heard it at this point outside of the diehard fans that post here. That really is not much of a sample size to quantify it as being favored over most of the album. It is "new" right now, I think that is a factor. Lucifer's Hands had a lot of potential. It is pretty clear U2 just decided to release it rather than continue to work on it. Crystal Ballroom is clearly finished, that is the difference there to me.

I think it is pretty good but not head and shoulders above anything that made the album.

The chorus makes this song special.....really gets stuck in your head in a good way.

It's really not that complicated. Adding additional content in a bid to flog different (and more expensive) formats/versions has obviously been going on forever. Usually just a track or two, or some loaded video content or something. Or the packaging itself was cool. Or whatever.

When you give your entire album away for free, the additional content over on the paid-for format had better be pretty extensive to make said format attractive to anyone. And the retailers pushed on this hard. So they whacked a couple of b-sides (generic term for 'stuff that didn't make the album cut') on there, a couple of alternate/working versions, and then what I think is a pretty weak/throwaway last minute thing to do to appease the retailers demanding more, more, more (the acoustic versions).

I don't know why that's so difficult to understand. The album starts with Miracle and ends with The Troubles. The 2nd disc is just a collection of shit cobbled together to get you to give them some money. They may well push and promote that side of it to make that point. Playing acoustic versions of the songs on tv shows. Giving Crystal Ballroom a bit of a push. They could even at some point make it a single (although, IMO, it's an extreeemely weak one). They can do whatever they want, but the overall idea is pretty simple ($$$$$).

I simply disagree. I would not classify the 11 tracks of Soi disc 2 as 11 B-sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom