The Crystal Ballroom - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like it - Roxy Music, Human League, New Order smashed together with some U2 soul. I wonder what Eno thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I respect people's opinion that they don't think this will be released as a single. It's probably a long shot even though everything about this release has been unconventional.

You can't compare it with past deluxe versions of albums, because they've already given the whole album away for free. So saving a killer track/single to get people to actually buy something makes some sense.
Also Bono has mentioned it a lot which seems odd for a leftover track

BUT - what I don't understand are people saying that people are only loving this song because it's brand new and it will wear off and we won't like it anymore
That is a rudiculous statement. Because as we are all aware, there two new songs! And people aren't flipping out over Lucifers Hands. Theres a reason there's 550 comments here and 80 on the LH thread.

People do have the ability to judge a song in context. I in fact was cautious with my feelings for the song. I thought, no way do I like this better than lots of the songs in the album. But the more I listened, the more I knew, this is in my top 5 among SOI songs and think that it would make a fantastic single, as would EBW and possibly California and volcano.

So I know it's a long shot single and don't expect it, and if it's not I do think it was a missed opportunity by the band

BUT - what I don't understand are people saying that people are only loving this song because it's brand new and it will wear off and we won't like it anymore

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think people love the track solely because it's a bonus (I quite like the track myself), nor that people "won't like it anymore" down the road. I'm sure it will forever more be Interference b-side darling, ala LWTSH and a handful of other favourites. And I don't necessarily think the notion that it might be a single, down the road, is completely out of the question, as I said I see the logic to it.

I do, however, think the relative newness is a part of the, um, ebullient love the song is getting at the moment. And I'm fairly certain that had TCB been on the iTunes release, and, I don't know, EBW or The Troubles been a bonus track, we'd have a whole thread now about how one of those should be the single, why weren't they on the main record, it's one of the best thing's U2's ever done, etc...and TCB, while still loved, would be old news.

This isn't a wild theory, BTW..you just have to glance back at the Interference history with the shiny new object for evidence of IMP.

You can't compare it with past deluxe versions of albums, because they've already given the whole album away for free. So saving a killer track/single to get people to actually buy something makes some sense.
Also Bono has mentioned it a lot which seems odd for a leftover track

:yes: Good points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think people love the track solely because it's a bonus (I quite like the track myself), nor that people "won't like it anymore" down the road. I'm sure it will forever more be Interference b-side darling, ala LWTSH and a handful of other favourites. And I don't necessarily think the notion that it might be a single, down the road, is completely out of the question, as I said I see the logic to it.

I do, however, think the relative newness is a part of the, um, ebullient love the song is getting at the moment. And I'm fairly certain that had TCB been on the iTunes release, and, I don't know, EBW or The Troubles been a bonus track, we'd have a whole thread now about how one of those should be the single, why weren't they on the main record, it's one of the best thing's U2's ever done, etc...and TCB, while still loved, would be old news.

This isn't a wild theory, BTW..you just have to glance back at the Interference history with the shiny new object for evidence of IMP.

So The Troubles is not old news for me. It's still my favorite song.

And I am usually 100% on board with the "people are only freaking out because it's new/wasn't included on the album" argument.

But as was so eloquently states already in this thread, this song is tits.

The lack of a third chorus is strange.

Not sure why they did this with both Crystal and Invisible, but they're foolish decisions.

You could argue that the actual chorus in Invisible is the riff, the final chorus being the only one with actual lyrics, à la (C)ABCABCDCC...

Maybe Bono just ran out of lyrics.

Well, for the first time ever, I think, Edge is credited as a lyricist as well. He could have come up with some too! :hmm:

I really like both this and Lucifer's Hands. I might even like Lucifer's Hands better, but admit it needs a tad more finishing.

U2 is the Chuck Norris of the music industry.

Chuck Norris bent his iPhone 6 just by looking at it.

U2 invaded Chuck Norris' iPhone.

Full circle.

The owls are not what they seem.

Word. :up:

Please send one to:

u2onautopilotandjustmailingitin.org

Thanks in advance :up:

What nonsense to use EBW or Troubles as examples of songs that people would argue should be on the album had TCB been used instead. Of course people would, they are certified gems that absolutely belong on the album. Horrible examples.

Let's talk something like Volcano, however. I think Volcano sort of gets away with a bit of musical murder because it's sandwiched in an album of otherwise great songs, and so its shortcomings are getting a pass..but..I'd put serious money on people not giving a shit if it had been the one left on the deluxe 2nd cd and TCB been the one put in its place on the album. Even if people don't want to admit it, Volcano is getting a huge get out of jail free card because of all its surrounded by. Picture them releasing Volcano in Invisible's place, all by itself or as a b-side. Forgettable! We'd be wringing our hands and saying this was the last straw, etc.

Sent from my ass crack

The thing is that neither Arcade Fire, neither some of the bands I mentioned in my last comment are experimental. They're purely bands that make revivals of the decade x0's and for being younger easily appeal to younger audiences and to some hipsterism.
Some of the weakest U2 rockers of the past 15 years could be released by a trendy band and it would succeed. There're been many "Boots", ABOY's and "Vertigo"'s out there from younger indie bands. But because it comes from these bands, they're not labeled the way these U2 tracks are.
The same applies, in my opinion, to tracks like "The Crystal Ballroom" or "This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now".

Absolutely :up:

There's some Duran Duran in this, for sure. More than that, there's a whole lot of disco.

:up:

Reminds me of Discotheque in a way - almost like a sister song, in terms of what it's reaching for. And it's not a stretch to imagine them in full Village People regalia. ;)

A bit of Daft Punk influence sprinkled in there around 4:30?

:dance:

What nonsense to use EBW or Troubles as examples of songs that people would argue should be on the album had TCB been used instead. Of course people would, they are certified gems that absolutely belong on the album. Horrible examples.

Let's talk something like Volcano, however. I think Volcano sort of gets away with a bit of musical murder because it's sandwiched in an album of otherwise great songs, and so its shortcomings are getting a pass..but..I'd put serious money on people not giving a shit if it had been the one left on the deluxe 2nd cd and TCB been the one put in its place on the album. Even if people don't want to admit it, Volcano is getting a huge get out of jail free card because of all its surrounded by. Picture them releasing Volcano in Invisible's place, all by itself or as a b-side. Forgettable! We'd be wringing our hands and saying this was the last straw, etc.

Sent from my ass crack

I can't agree with this. Volcano is a great song, in fact I welcome it after the lull of SFS/iris combo.
This would have been so much better than invisible.
Remember, invisible was promoted on two of the largest TV shows of the year and it went over like a lead balloon.

I can't agree with this. Volcano is a great song, in fact I welcome it after the lull of SFS/iris combo.

This would have been so much better than invisible.

Remember, invisible was promoted on two of the largest TV shows of the year and it went over like a lead balloon.

Which sucks because Invisible is a great song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take Invisible over TCB, and either over SFS.

Volcano not even close to the discussion of worst song on SOI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom