The CLAW Part 4 - (INCL. SPOILERS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone else notice the back of the stage in Dublin looks completely different?

a2c.jpg

Yeah... from what I see, looks as though one of the changes is that the long platform leading to the stage is missing..now a shorter one?

I cant make out what is back there at all... to me it looks like there is a little shack there. lol

Not sure what's behind the Red Zone here - either VIP or an expanded Red Zone (hence the second auction). Or could be a wheelchair section too.

was wheelchair section, also had some chairs there.

AMAZING show... that remix of Crazy has to be seen live to be appreciated. Might be my favorite song of the night. Absolutely rocked. And Edge's tribal-esque dance around the catwalk was awesome to see. Good stuff.

Anyone know why they didn't sell behind the stage? (are there seats or it standing?). I imagine as there were no people back there the back of the stage was not so important and hence the changes. Was there any PA at the back? Not sure how this four direction PA thing works sound-wise or the effect of one side missing. Still surprised at the amount of empty spaces in general.

I think the only show they didn't sell tickets behind for is Dublin, am I right? I know we talked about this some time ago. Maybe they just wanted to rock the "DUCK" out to everyone in front and not have to worry about scorning the people in the back? Who knows. All I know is that I wish I was at Dublin I :drool::drool::drool:

Now found out it was due to Irish safety laws (answered my own question!). Quite ironic that one of the few places that the 360 tour couldn't be 360 is in their home town but by all reports none of this mattered - They rocked! Roll on Wembley.

I just wanted to post another shot of the Metallica stage to show what 'in-the-round' (aka 360) means.

I think our lads over complicated things a bit with their required underworld shenanigans...

metallica_resized_0004.jpg

Am I the only person who thinks that is an incredibly boring stage setup? A big rectangle in the middle of the arena. :yawn:

It's about the music, man.

:wink:

I hear ya. More and more, though, people expect to be entertained above and beyond the core of 'the music'...which I suppose is why U2 is such a great live event.

Kindof an interesting point though and it sortof ties into the ongoing 'vary the setlist' arguments...I'm not a huge Metallica fan at all (not my style of music really), in fact I probably know 4 or 5 songs tops. But if someone invited me, loving live music like I do, I'd go. What would I hope to experience...well those 4-5 songs, and then some other somewhat indefinable 'wow' factor..like visuals, exciting moments, something like that...would I get it? I dunno, with that type of low-key setup.

Contrast that with U2...let's say I only knew 4-5 songs and someone invited me...I would be thoroughly blown away by the experience of The Claw etc. There's no way around it in my mind, the spectacle is making the show maybe almost as much as the actual music is...who's doing this as well as U2 nowadays? Maybe NIN?

Am I the only person who thinks that is an incredibly boring stage setup? A big rectangle in the middle of the arena. :yawn:

I did not go to this tour, but from what I have read, it was actually very interesting. There were a ton of lasers/pyro built into the surface of the stage (those darker colored squares) as well as behind the amp/loudspeakers. The idea was that you saw a very boring rectangular stage as you suggest, but it comes alive when the lights go down.

What is most interesting is that the band had multiple mic positions around the perimeter, so they basically 'worked' the whole stage - every direction - and every crowd angle. The drum kit rotated and they basically played the entire house = 360 in its purest form - there was no back.

I really do not see why U2 cannot do this under the claw setup - would make for a much more dynamic show...

I just wanted to post another shot of the Metallica stage to show what 'in-the-round' (aka 360) means.

I think our lads over complicated things a bit with their required underworld shenanigans...

metallica_resized_0004.jpg

looks like my cousin's battle of the bands competition.

-dan

There were a ton of lasers/pyro built into the surface of the stage (those darker colored squares) as well as behind the amp/loudspeakers. The idea was that you saw a very boring rectangular stage as you suggest, but it comes alive when the lights go down.

I find lasers and pyro incredibly boring to be honest. If U2 ever did pyro you'd see some pretty vicious comments from this corner.

There's no way that Metallica stage setup is remotely as interesting as U2's, full 360 or 290 or whatever it is that U2's is.

I'm in no way comparing the set of Metallica to that of U2, the music, or the effects, I am only pointing out what a real 'in the round' show looks like.

Thanks for the clip Pepokiss.

My point is that that band has found a way to play to an audience without all 4 members facing front.

They hit all sides of the building.

Imagine this outside with the lighting structure hanging above them - that is basically the premise for the Claw - I think the stage is wholly under utilized, and thus the show could have been more interesting with crowds fully surrounding the stage...

anyone notice that No Doubt have also have a claw built to resemble that LAX structure? Only they like to climb up the claw legs ;-)

Yeah I've been to 2 now BVS,

No I wasent expecting it to crawl that would be silly! lol

It seems to me in comparison to Zoo Tv / Popmart/ and Vertigo this production was alot less mind blowing visually! the structure is quit impressive, I thought the light and visual show could have been better,

Back
Top Bottom